1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Snowplow theft

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by Mdirrigation, Jan 2, 2004.

1. Mdirrigation

Mdirrigation Senior Member

A friend of mine just had a plow blade stolen New Years Eve.
    He was told by the police that without identifying marks (serial number etc) even if they found the plow he couldnt prove it was his.

My suggestion is to weld your name on the plow (dont use your social security number) The cops told him its a common theft in the winter and with out I.D. on the blade it cant be proven its stolen.
  2. PLOWMAN45

PLOWMAN45 2000 Club Member

i park my truck over the frame so we dont have this problem
  3. rewoodworking

rewoodworking Senior Member

that sucks i never even thought of it it weights so much i did not think anyone would try it
    now you got me worried it is in my barn but i did not lock it
  4. The Boss

The Boss 2000 Club Member

It's too bad someone doesn't make a security device for plows that when somebody tries to steal it, it shocks the S%&@ out of them!:D
  5. jo2fst4u

jo2fst4u Member

I have the locking pins on mine, dont think anyone will get it from my Garage............
  6. The Boss

Mines always in the garage when not in use also.:D
  7. rewoodworking

rewoodworking Senior Member

i can rig that :D
  8. The Boss

Rig what?:confused:
  9. crazymike97

crazymike97 Junior Member

what i have learned is.if someone wants something they get it no matter what.i had many things taken that were locked in a garage and in one case bolted and chained to a floor.
  10. The Boss

That sucks.:( I'd love to catch someone taking something of mine!:gunsfiring:
  11. phillyplowking1

phillyplowking1 Senior Member

About 2 years ago I had a meyers plowframe and pump stolen from my yard.A couple months later I saw the frame on a truck,I then called the cops and did identify it because i has my initials welded on it.:D
  12. badranman

badranman Senior Member

Let's not forget about the trucks, had one stolen 2 months ago. Got it back 2 days later minus the new tires and rims, light bar, plow mounts and wiring, trailer hitch, salter controller, and even the wipers and floormats.:realmad:
  13. JMR

JMR Senior Member

Locks only keep out the honest people. I have an employee that had a plow truck stolen this last summer. He had the battery removed from the truck and the distributor unplugged. Somebody still stole it . Friends would see people driving it around occasionally. The people were using it as a work truck. A friend spotted it 2 months latter in a church parking lot. Got the truck back minus a few goodies plus a few additions. Its amazing the trouble thieves will go through to steal something.
  14. badranman

badranman Senior Member

The locks (door and ignition) ARE a joke on the '95 chev 1500 that was stolen. What were they smoking when they designed those pos?:dizzy:
  15. JMR

JMR Senior Member

Locks on all vehicles are a joke. A thief can defeat a lock in less than a minute. Don't think for a minute that the club steering wheel lock will stop a thief either. Easily defeated in a minute or two. If a thief wants your vehicle bad enough it is theirs.
  16. badranman

badranman Senior Member

True enough. :nod:
  17. The Boss

Door locks are useless if a window is busted.:eek:

Badranman, was there anything left of your truck?:(
  18. badranman

badranman Senior Member

Yes, they only took those items I mentioned ( I forgot the outside mirrors ). The rest of the truck was unharmed. They put on old tires and rims and parked it on the side of the road. Cops found it 2 days later. Place where it was stolen from was supposed to lock it in the bay but didn't. Was pretty good about the whole thing and compensated me for all the stolen stuff. Truck is geared up now and ready for snow.payup
  19. ClintSinger

ClintSinger Junior Member

Here in the Halifax Regional Municipality last year the police told me that 86 thats right 86 blades were stolen from around peoples homes and businesses, they said what they do is drive up to the blade and even if the headgear doesn't match they chain it and lift it a couple inches off the ground and drag it away where they have a flatbed with a bunch of people waiting and they all lift it on and away they go with your gear.
    We don't have a garage so we had to cut the front out of our shed and install double doors for the plow.
  20. gpin

gpin Senior Member

EBAY can be a problem in theft, I use Ebay every week but it creates a fast market to move items. Definately weld some ID on and check EBAY Local in your area if something disappears, I got an equipment trailer back that way. My logo was on the trailer in the picture and trailer was advertised as not having a title.