1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Snowplow Restore Project

Discussion in 'Equipment, Tools & Vehicle Pictures' started by big_stroker, Nov 28, 2011.

1. big_stroker

big_stroker Senior Member

I had been looking for a decent snow plow for a few years now and I finally found one that needed a little work for the right price.

Its a 8.5' Western Uni-mount that came off an OBS Ford

Here are some pictures and what I have done along the way.

Pictures I got when I found out it was for sale. Was sitting behind a barn for a few years.

[​IMG] [​IMG]

2. big_stroker

After I got it home and put in the shop to start looking it over. I pulled the pump apart at this time and put in new fluid and had to clean up the elector motor and put in a new + post.

[​IMG] [​IMG]

3. big_stroker

OBS Mount that I re-enginered to fit on my SD. After getting it on the truck I hate how low the mount is when the plow is not on the truck. But that is were the pivot point needs to be. I ordered the new style Ultra-mount from Western/Fisher so that when im not using the plow i can take off the uni-mount conversion and it will only show about an inch below the bumper. Will post pics when it comes in this week.

[​IMG] [​IMG]

[​IMG]

4. big_stroker

Got it mounted to the truck to move it outside to power wash it. Plow weighs around 800lbs and the truck only went down 1/2". I need to reposition my lights.

[​IMG] [​IMG]

[​IMG]

5. big_stroker

I got around to prepping the plow for primer and paint.

I tool paint stripper and a big wire wheel on a high power buffer to get the rust and rest of the paint off.

[​IMG] [​IMG]

[​IMG] [​IMG]

6. big_stroker

This is right after I got done putting everything in primer

[​IMG] [​IMG]

[​IMG]

I have some Ford 8N red for the plow and pump and black for the light bar and ware bar.

I'm going to try and have it completed sometime this week.

7. mnglocker

mnglocker Senior Member

Are you using hardener in the paint? That'll make it hold up better on the face of the blade.

8. big_stroker

Yeah using a clear hardener with the paint.

9. mossman381

mossman381 2000 Club Member

What kind of paint are you using? That is a tuff job getting the old powder coat off.

10. maverjohn

maverjohn Senior Member

Looking good, Post some finish pics when your done.

11. big_stroker

Using farm implement paint. Have some Ford 8N red laying around and using hardliner in it.

I got the plow and pump painted 4 coats of Ford 8n red last night.

Going to paint the black tonight and will be sure to post some finished pics with it on the truck.

[​IMG] [​IMG]

12. big_stroker

Well I haven't finished it yet but I did put the new bracket on the truck so it wouldn't hang down so low.

I forgot to take a picture with the uni-mount kit on there will do that tonight.

Going to try and finish it all up this weekend.

Here is a picture.

[​IMG]

13. Willman940

Willman940 Senior Member

what grill insert is that? very strong work on the plow, are you going to ditch the lights since they sit about the same height as your head lights or raise them? Also, why didn't you just wait for the ultra mount instead of modifying and mounting the old mounts?

John

14. big_stroker

It isnt an insert its a grill replacement. I have had it for years and cant even remember where i got it or what kind it is.

Also I wasnt going to get the ultra-mount / uni-mount converstion but I HATED the way the old mount looked and how low it hung on the truck so thats why i got the new mount kit.

WIll be posting more pics SOON

15. big_stroker

Ulta to Uni-mount kit

[​IMG] [​IMG]

16. big_stroker

Mounted to truck to test everything out.

[​IMG] [​IMG]

17. big_stroker

18. big_stroker

19. mossman381

mossman381 2000 Club Member

Turned out really good.

20. big_stroker

Thanks. I still have the top flap to put on it yet. but I havent cut it to size.