1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Snowplow prep package and alt.

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by WOODY367, Sep 23, 2007.

1. WOODY367

WOODY367 Senior Member
    from LI, NY

What does a snowplow prep package consist of? I have a 04 Ford F250 that has it in it. I am putting a Fisher MM2 plow on it. Do I need to put a larger alt. and batt in it or does it come with the prep package? If not what size alt. and batt should I put in?
  2. Mick

Mick PlowSite.com Veteran
    from Maine

"Snowplow prep package" means different things from make to make an even year to year with with makes. You really need to find a "window sticker" for that specific vehicle which will list items. There might be a place on the Ford website that would tell you or someone on here might know if they own a similar truck.
  3. cjasonbr

cjasonbr Senior Member
    from Mass

i'm not sure what exactly the 04 Plow Prep Package consists of, but i bet that it does include a HD alternator... if your battery sucks then you can just get a new one after the fact, likewise if you find out the alternator isn't up to snuff - you can always upgrade it later.

I may be wrong - but aren't dual batteries sort of outdated? I'm pretty sure you can easily find a good single HD battery to meet your needs.
  4. SnoFarmer

SnoFarmer PlowSite Fanatic
    from N,E. MN

Dual batts are the way to go if you do a lot of plowing.
    Still in this day and age lol;)

On a 04 it might be a good idea to find a new batt.
    Get the largest one you can preferably close to a 1k cca.

Keep your alt you can up grade when it quits.

The next thing would be to up grade the wiring ,grounds and clean all of the electrical connections on your charging system then cover them with fluid film.
  5. Brian Young

Brian Young PlowSite Veteran

The only "plow prep" that my 06 FSD has is a larger alt. (but you should already have that if you have a/c in your truck) and heavier coil springs.
  6. karol

karol Senior Member

snow prep package

Not really sure what's in it but if you have a 2004 250sd you will be fine. I've plowed with a 2004 sd with snow prep-package for 3 years. Did 4-5 schools and about 60 homes with that truck each snowfall. No problems.
  7. WOODY367

WOODY367 Senior Member
    from LI, NY

Thanks guys for the help.
  8. MickiRig1

MickiRig1 PlowSite Veteran

If it's snow plow prepped it should be fine. The battery should last at least the first season. Ford puts damn good batteries in them from the factory. I just replaced the 7 year old one in my Windstar. Just keep an eye on the volt gage when plowing. You can buy off the shelf big alternators on the INTERNET. I bet it has at least a 130 amp in it now.
    I have a 100 amp alternator and a 1000/ 900CCA battery and have never had a power problem. The truck may over heat with the plow on driving on the highway. Watch the gage, if it starts heating up, lower and angle the plow to the right and it should go back down. Put the heater on vent setting with high blower to bring it down quicker.
    Use the search function above on the gray line for more reading on it.
    Charging questions have been beat to death here.
  9. Cassy

Cassy Senior Member

I run a 2004 F250 with a Fisher MM2 8' straight blade. I have the factory snow plow prep package, and haven't had the need for dual batteries, or a non-factory alternator.

Last year I had a bit of a problem with the factory battery, but after taking it to a local shop they found the battery needed replacement. the new one, an Interstate, kicks out 900cca's and worked beautifully for the rest of the season.

10. WOODY367

WOODY367 Senior Member
    from LI, NY

Thanks for all the info. It still has the original batt. in it. I will be getting a new batt. before the winter.