1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

snowplow overheating

Discussion in 'Truck & Equipment Repair' started by daveklein1, Dec 4, 2008.

1. daveklein1

daveklein1 Member

I was just curious if overheating was a problem to anyone else out there. I have a 2001 Dodge cummins, and it run in the 220's to 230's.:confused:

2. juspayme

juspayme Senior Member

the blade is blocking the air to your radiator. drive slower and angle your blade to the right to let some more air to your grill.

3. sechracer

sechracer Senior Member

Loweing it a little helps too.... or you can make a plate that attaches to the lift arm, that way when you have the blade up, it directs air to the radiator.

4. QuadPlower

QuadPlower PlowSite.com Addict

How is your snow plow over heating? lol

The plow is blocking the air flow across the radiator. Angle or lower it. Which ever gives you the best air flow.

Good Luck

5. JDiepstra

JDiepstra PlowSite.com Addict

I believe that your particular model year of Dodge Cummins has an issue with oil from the breather / blowby tube clogging up the raidiator. In many cases, you can not even tell how dirty it is until you take it off to clean it. That is probably your problem, your raidiator is filthy, and only working at partial capacity. Take it off and clean it, or see if there is a way you can ram warm water through it with a pressure washer.

6. Sealer People

Sealer People Senior Member

I have a 1996 chevy diesel that was overheating when i first put the plow on. After determining that the clutch fan was a heavy duty & there was no room for an auxillary fan under the hood, I decided to buy the " AIR FOIL " from blizzard. Next time I would just try to make one because they cost alot.

Ever since i put it on, I havent overheaeted at all.

7. daveklein1

daveklein1 Member

How much did you pay for the air foil? Just curious.

8. theplowmeister

theplowmeister 2000 Club Member
    from MA

DO NOT USE A PRESSURE WASHER on your radiator:yow!:
    I guaranty it will bend the little fins over and block air flow. you will spend hours straitening the fins out

9. rocknrollrednec

rocknrollrednec Senior Member

yeah, that's a bad bad idea. I like to soak 'em with a hose, then blow out with compressed air

10. Green Grass

Green Grass PlowSite Fanatic

take a garden hose and clean between the radiator and charge air cooler the trucks are knowing for getting crap built up in there and causing overheat conditions