1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

snowplow not staying in straight position when plowing

Discussion in 'Western Plows Discussion' started by chris1964, Apr 1, 2011.

1. chris1964

chris1964 Junior Member

when moving forward with plow in straight position my plow angles on its own.
    It does this whether its easy plowing or hard plowing

2. mishnick

mishnick 2000 Club Member

What kind of plow is this? V plow, straight blade, Wide-out, uni or ultra? In any case it will be a valve problem but they are all so different we can't help you unless we know what schematic to look at. I am assuming you are not loosing any fluid.

3. BlueWing

BlueWing Member

I agree, you have a valve that is not shutting tight. Unless, it ram has a leak. You would be able to see the oil leaking out of it when you ran it all the way out.

4. twinman326

twinman326 PlowSite.com Addict

It also could be the "cross over relief valve" sticking..

5. chris1964

chris1964 Junior Member

my plow is a 7 1/2FOOT WESTERN UNIMOUNT.THERE IS NO LEAKS ANYWHERE.

6. BlueWing

BlueWing Member

Then it is a valve issue.

7. chris1964

chris1964 Junior Member

where do i go from here. can valves be cleaned up or do they need to be replaced.This happens on both sides of the blade,depends on which side you are blading on.

8. Mr.Markus

Mr.Markus PlowSite Fanatic

This could be dumb.....but a friend of mine hooked his angle cylinders together and the hose quick connect on the pump to itself. It would lift/drop no problem but side to side was floppy. Spotted it the second I saw it but had to drive 30 miles to where he was to trouble shoot. He still hasn't lived that one down.

9. chris1964

chris1964 Junior Member

not sure of where to look for the problem,but would appreciate any helpful information.

10. twinman326

Last edited: Apr 3, 2011
  11. mishnick

mishnick 2000 Club Member

Have a look at the links that Twinman put up to locate the two crossover relief valves. There are two, one for each ram. It could be either one leaking so pull them both carefully so you don't loose any parts. Count the number of turns you use to remove each screw so you can replace them and get close to the same pressure setting when you put them back. There will be the screw first, then the the ball, next comes the spring and a small piece of metal that keeps the ball centered. You may have to use a magnet to get them out. Make sure there is no damage to the ball and seat. There may be debree stuck in there too. Also check the spring for deformation, roll it on a flat surface to ensure it is straight. If the valves look OK then put them back in and try the plow again. May well just be a bit of dirt was stuck in one of them and you might not even see it before it gets washed away.

Those links don't seem to work for me so here is a direct link to the mechanic's guide

http://library.westernplows.com/westernplows/pdf/21936_120198.pdf Look at page 8 for the blow up photo and locate the two crossover relief valves. Page 51 shows the crossover valves and tells you how to adjust them correctly.

Not sure if you are a computer guy so I will mention that you need to have Adobe Acrobat reader installed on your PC to be able to open the link to the mechanic's guide...

Last edited: Apr 3, 2011
  12. chris1964

chris1964 Junior Member

I will try this on monday and will let you know the results.Thanks for the Information.

13. twinman326

Ok let try it again

Explanation (what it does)
    Lilcrov.jpg

Cross valve remove and install
    Lilcovvvv3.jpg

Liluv.jpg

Lilcrov.jpg

Lilcovvvv3.jpg

Last edited: Apr 6, 2011