1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Snowplow inventor

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by Mick, Apr 15, 2002.

1. Mick

Mick PlowSite.com Veteran
    from Maine

Piece of trivia - Who is credited with inventing the snowplow?

Hint: 1 - He was from Bangor, Maine.
    2 - It's not Dean Fisher ( of Fisher snowplows)
  2. Got Grass?

Got Grass? Senior Member

The truth is to be known.

I've read: The first plow was invented in the early 1800 & patanted in Milwakee. Was a device attached to a wagon pulled by a team of horses.

Patent #17,580 is a patant for moving snow.

Altho in May of 1876 "Mabbs" was granted the first patent for a "snowplow". Patent #187172.
    Followed by:
    #288903 Nov. 1883 "Willey" &
    #842461 Jan. 1907 "Hill"

The person credited with the invention of the snow plow:

Filed: June 21, 1979
    Inventors: McLaughlin, deceased; Charles S. (Three Fiddlers Landing, late of Harwichport, MA); McLaughlin, Jr., executor; Charles S. (Three Fiddlers Landing, Harwichport, MA 02646)

Odviously something is screwed up with the U.S. patant office.
    Last edited: Apr 15, 2002
  3. Mick

from Maine

Probably. I heard this one on the radio. I think they were talking about a plow attached to a vehicle (modern type plow). Would the 1800 versions you're listing be "rotary plows" which were made for trains and resembled very large blowers?

Obviously 1979 copyright would not be the first.
  4. Got Grass?

Got Grass? Senior Member

From my memory & what I printed:

Actually I'm not sure but that sure does make sence as there is talk about using rotory plows on steam trains dating arround 1870's...

The first horse pulled plow patent was issued somewhere in the 1840's, wasnt used or finished yet untill in milwalkee 1862. That was also the same time Salt was used to melt ice. Salt didnt catch on as people starting complaning about the damage salt caused to roads and soiled thier clothing. So thay switched to using sand.

Soon after the plows were used by the munipalites, but faced many lawsuits as buisness owners complanined about piles of snow near thier entrances, so NYC hired people to remove the snow the plows put there and dump it in the rivers. in the 1880's NY built elivated steam rails to ease the use of salt & complaints.

After the great storm of 1888 thay eqipped trollys w/ plow's but that idea failed. So in 1899 Boston got the great idea & invented the Subway.

In 1913 after motorization was invented, the first dump trucks were equiped with plows and used catipiller tractors to load them up with snow to dump in the rivers.

The Barber-Green snowloader, was invented in the 1920's in Chicago. The snow would enter the scoop and be forced up a conveyor belt into the dump trucks
  5. Mick

from Maine

Got Grass, I bow to your historical genius.

Seriously, good post for anyone seeking history of the snowplow.

Don Sergeant of Bangor, Maine is credited with inventing the modern snowplow. It didn't say when.
  6. CT18fireman

CT18fireman Banned

Looks like a few people have too much time on there hands.

7. Chuck Smith

Chuck Smith 2000 Club Member
    from NJ

You used to be able to search all patents via the IBM patent website. Now it has moved, and it really sucks as far as searching.

John Deere is credited with inventing the moldboard plow.

From the Meyer 75th Anniversary brochure, "... since 1926 when in upstate New York Edward B. Meyer put a wooden moldboard on the front of his Buick to clear his driveway, thus giving birth to the Meyer Auto Snow Plow Company."

It was after 1926 that Meyer went to a steel moldboard.

As far as Fisher - "From its founding in 1948 by Dean L. Fisher, FISHER snowplows have long been synonymous with quality and ruggedness, a trait that has followed its products as they have evolved over the 50 plus years of the company's history."

Western says something similiar on their website about "..for over 50 years..."

I just wanted to add my 2 cents. I have also read a lot of what Got Grass said on the web myself.

I had this link in one of my Snowplowing Newsletters back in December of 1999

It was then called "The History of Snowplows"

It seems Meyer is the oldest plow (still sold) made for everyday use by an "average" person. I say that because not everyone owned a half track vehicle which used plows prior to 1926.

Check out the Meyer website for a downloadable copy of the 75th Anniversary brochure.

8. CT18fireman

CT18fireman Banned

I have another site to search for patents. When I get home from the hospital and have my home computer I will post it.
  9. Got Grass?

Got Grass? Senior Member

Chuck, Yeah thats a great site. They really go into depth, Almost anything you wanted to know about Snow & the weather is in there somewhere or linked to it. I love some of the pictures.
    The link you posted is great. Amazed that just about everything I said was in there somewhere.

I got that from the US Patant office some .Gov site. 1/2 the site wasnt working at the time the rest of the links were wrong.

Would be really intresting to find out who the real inventor was.
    If someone can post a good link, or wants to do it them selves I'm intrested in researching this further and making a list of who invented what, when and the evolution of plows.

I really dont have that much time on my hands, just like the topic...
    It's summer here. Somewhere along we skipped spring.
    Goes from freezing temps early in the mont to, last week in the 70's. record temps. Tomarrow in the 80's, Wed. upper 70's Thurs-Sat. 70's... Heck I'm gunna be mowing late this week or early next week. Gotta get these cleanups done... Time to kick some butt.... :)

Oh and Congrats CT, for once its good to be in/at the hospital...
    Last edited: Apr 15, 2002
  10. Rob

Rob PlowSite.com Veteran

I learned that the Salt vs. Sand debate started in 1862 and still isn't settled :D
  11. fireball

fireball PlowSite.com Veteran

You mean Herbert J. Snow wasn't the first one