1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Snowplow history

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by amoore, May 24, 2013.

1. amoore

amoore Junior Member
    from Ohio

Hi guys - first post. I'm a senior majoring in mechanical engineering w/some industrial design and marketing classes.

I'm going to be working on a "historical" design project, i.e. looking at product improvements in the past, and trying to determine why they were done, and what drove them (customer demand). I'm focusing on snowplows and the change from the blade coming off seperately from the lift frame to the whole unit coming off the truck complete (and why this was done, etc.).

Anybody know when the first plow that came off the truck complete was made? I'm really just trying to find the company that did it first so I can interview someone about it for my project. Nothing too involved - just a quick phone interview.

I appreciate any help you can offer. I've done some plowing to earn money for school (old Meyer). I know most plows come off complete now (not mine) - but when did that start?

Steven Andrew Moore (Andy)
  2. jhenderson9196

jhenderson9196 Senior Member

Research the NHTSA data base. Fed regulation forced the move. Nothing in front of the bumper when the plow is off.
  3. grandview

grandview PlowSite Fanatic

Every plow cold come off,it was more of being lazy to not take it off.
  4. basher

basher PlowSite Fanatic
    from 19707

That would be Snoway. They started manufacturing plows that removed as a complete unit in the 70's with a focus on smaller vehicles. The original owner sold the company in the early nineties but if you shoot me an email at the address in my sig and I'll get you some contact info.
  5. fireball

fireball PlowSite.com Veteran

that old tree stump on route 92 took a lot of snow plows off trucks around here. You would think going out the door instead of the windshield would have been easier on the drivers too
  6. PhilFromErie

PhilFromErie Senior Member

You should talk to Jerry Heyer from jerrys service in Erie. He knows snow plow history.
  7. amoore

amoore Junior Member
    from Ohio

Thanks guys. Anybody familiar with Arctic? Somebody told me they were doing it earlier as well. I never looked at Snoway - that looks interesting.
  8. RLM

RLM PlowSite.com Addict

Fisher has a book in their history. It came out probably 10 years ago, it was free when it came out I believe. I would contact them to see if they could send you a copy.
  9. basher

basher PlowSite Fanatic
    from 19707

It's called "PLowing Though The Storm" and last I knew was still available for no charge upon request.