1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Snowplow for Chev W5500 (2007)

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by Nestech, Sep 8, 2008.

1. Nestech

Nestech Senior Member

Does any plow manufacturer make a mount to fit a Chev W5500 cab-over??? I would prefer Western but all they offer is for a Mitsubishi FG cab-over, Perhaps they are similair mounts. Anybody know?

2. Peterbilt

Peterbilt Senior Member
    from IA.

I have 2 GMC W4500s. Both with 8Ft Boss Polys with Boss wings. I had to have a special mount made.

They are the best plowing trucks you can have in a flat parking lot.

J.

3. Nestech

Nestech Senior Member

Peterbilt

Do you know what mount they modified to fit your W4500? Was it close to start with or major cutting and welding?

4. 06HD BOSS

06HD BOSS 2000 Club Member

Im gonna say boss because there is a huge cab-over dealer near me. they sell mitsu's, chevy, gmc and ford...they are also a boss dealer and in the winter when i drive by they have the blades hooked up on every make

5. Peterbilt

Peterbilt Senior Member
    from IA.

we started with chevy 1 ton mounts. They made a sort of a bridge frame under the truck. I will get pics.

J.

6. Eddie D

Eddie D Member

Hey Peterbilt are your trucks 4x4?

7. itsgottobegreen

itsgottobegreen PlowSite.com Addict

Almost all cab over mounts need to be custom built. I have done quite a few. They sometimes are a complete *****. But the cabovers always work really well.

8. Peterbilt

Peterbilt Senior Member
    from IA.

Edwin.

they are both 2 wheel drive. Just load them up with some sort of weight and plow.

They work great in parking lots, but not as well for street plowing or driveways.

Mine are both 108" wheel base but, I think going a bit longer would help with the street issues.

J.

9. Eddie D

Eddie D Member

they are both 2 wheel drive. Just load them up with some sort of weight and plow.

They work great in parking lots, but not as well for street plowing or driveways.

Mine are both 108" wheel base but, I think going a bit longer would help with the street issues.

What problems do you find with streets?

10. Peterbilt

Peterbilt Senior Member
    from IA.

If there are hills, and you have to plow up or down them, they give you some problems. Mostly traction.

Chains help a bit, Running at a slower pace like we do in private subdivisions we find lots of 2wd weekness.

J.

11. Peterbilt

Peterbilt Senior Member
    from IA.

Another thing.

If ypu run mostly in parking lots, Cabovers will do a WAY better job, People give me crap about mine all the time, then they find out I plow with them and Its over. Then we show the video, These things will push a pile as big if not bigger than the truck. If I can get the Vid from one of my drivers I will post it. Its totally unbelievable.

J.