1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Snowplow for a G-class Mercedes

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by Mistel, Jul 21, 2005.

1. Mistel

Mistel Member

Anyone know if it is possible to fit a plow on a G-class Mercedes. They are not very common in North America but in Europe they are much more common, similar to Jeeps here. I am going to buy an older, diesel model that I am going to use as a work vehicle. They are built like a tank, I'm sure they could support a small poly plow.

Thanks

Peter

mistel@sympatico.ca

2. MickiRig1

MickiRig1 PlowSite Veteran

I would think you need to have someone "Fab" a setup for you. Like a welding shop or someone that installs used plows. Just keep in mind plow trucks break parts and I know parts are not cheap for that truck! Even hummers break parts.

3. justme-

justme- 2000 Club Member

If I remember right, the G-wagons are unibody which is a big no-no for plowing.

4. Mistel

Mistel Member

I'll check into that, but I would imagine it is frame construction. Are you thinking of an M class?

5. Mistel

Mistel Member

Here is a page http://www.clubgwagen.com/extreme/index.htm

look at the pictures where he has the engine out and pictures from underneath where he beefs up the frame. I'm not an expert but it looks like a frame to me ??

6. MickiRig1

MickiRig1 PlowSite Veteran

If it is unibody it will have a frame in the front and the back but no Frame that goes from one end to the other ( like a Ladder ). The frame ends are mounted to the body pan which carries the weight like a full frame,but is not as strong.
    The weight of a plow will bend it or break it after a while.

7. justme-

justme- 2000 Club Member

The M class is definatly unibody- the pictures in the link here seem to show frame rails in some of the suspension images-we have nothing in stock on the truck. I doubt any plow manufacturer makes a setup for one of those, they are not exactly a popular "working" class truck. A custom mount would be the order of the day, (by someone who definatly knows what they are doing building plow mounts, not the local welder at the corner)

I don't know that I would even consider this truck for commercial operations either. I'm not knocking Mercedes, it's the practicality of running it and the designed limits of the truck. I seriously doubt it was ever designed with the intentions of anything beyond a luxury grocery getter.

I remember running across lit for them in the past.

8. sixspeed

sixspeed Senior Member

Mistel,

Here in the states even a used G-wagen goes for $50K so they are not all that common They're definitely luxury oriened (and fuel thirsty). Did you try the German Mercedes web site to see if they show any commercial versions of the G-class which might show it with a plow... If I remember correctly Mercedes splits their line into consumer (cars) and commercial (trucks/Unimogs) in the German web site. I don't know enough German to use it though...

I know they have solid axles front and rear and locking front/rear/center differentials so they have some guts underneath They may make a commercial version but I've never seen one here in the states. Ours are all upper-end luxury oriented ones...

If they did make a commercial version there's all of the DOT/EPA safety and emissions certification that one would need to bring it into THIS country. I can't figure Canada would be any easier to import something in to...

Good luck and let us know what you find out.... You will probably get an earful in this forum because realistically speaking most people here need and use a 3/4 ton truck for snow work... But the thought of somebody somewhere else making a vehicle that is sturdy enough to plow with but good on fuel is pretty intriguing... And the fact that Chrysler went to Mercedes for the very-successful Sprinter van here in the states is a sign that they might be looking elsewhere for fuel efficient designs...

9. Mistel

Mistel Member

Sixspeed

The G-class was originally designed as a military vehicle. They started production in 1979 and most of the g's made up untill about 1995 were simple rugged off-road vehicles. Here in Canada we can import any vehicle that is 15 years old. There are lots of G-class around Europe still in good shape. I can get a 5 cylinder diesel (bulletproof) that is the same engine in cars so parts are not a problem. I believe it is the same engine that is in the Sprinter. As for MPG, I have heard as good as 23 MPG. Here's a picture I found on a German used car site, hope it works
    http://eng.autoscout24.com/home/ind...3xzdf&sc=&make=47&eurofrom=&euroto=12500&zip=
    I've been to Europe a few times and I've always been jealous of the excellent cars they have there. Good looking, fuel-efficient, diesel. Look at the amaszing trucks that Toyota has (diesel Landcrusiers) that they won't sell in Canada or the US.

Last edited: Jul 27, 2005
  10. justme-

justme- 2000 Club Member

Minor correction: Chrysler is Mercedes, remember (Daimler Chrysler... formally Daimler Benz and merged/bought Chrysler corp)- it had nothing to do with Chrysler going to anyone, it was the company as a whole (which is run at the top levels by the German Daimler brass) deciding to market the vehicle (which is actually a Freightliner in the first place- another Daimler Chrysler brand) under the Dodge moniker.

11. sixspeed

sixspeed Senior Member

Semantics my dear Justme - since Chrysler didn't/doesn't have any US based successful fuel efficient van designs they brought in the Sprinter - just like they did in the 1980's when they had no fuel efficient cars and they imported Mitsubishi small cars and trucks and named them Chrysler corp. names...

Not necessarily a bad strategy, look at the D-max diesel...

You're right Mistel, I'd like to see that diesel landcruiser here too. Or that 5 cylinder diesel in a TJ jeep like our Rubicon!

Last edited: Jul 29, 2005
  12. sixspeed

sixspeed Senior Member

Hey Peter,

The MB dealer by me has a used V8 G-wagen for $52,000. I took a gander at it.

It's definitely a full frame vehicle. The front frame horns are plenty strong for a plow and the frame has huge tube crossmembers that are at least 4 inches in diameter... And the thickness of the metal is at least the same as our 1/2 or 3/4 ton trucks...

Only thing is that the frame horn shape is typical euro/Japanese box shape and not a deep section like the American trucks. The pittman arm comes pretty close to the bottom of the frame horn so that could limit fabbing any plow mount that goes under the rails to beef them up...

Maybe one of our plow manufacturers sees a global market for euro spec vehicles like the G-wagen...

Any idea what the front and rear GAWR's for the truck are and what the unladen weight is?

13. Mistel

Mistel Member

Sixspeed

Approximate weight is 4400 lbs and Gross Vehicle Weight is 6200 lbs. I guess that gives it almost 1 ton capacity! That would not suprise me. Some models have seating for 8 people. As for GAWR, I would have to do some digging

14. sixspeed

sixspeed Senior Member

I just mentioned the front GAWR since this usually determines the plow weight...

Half ton trucks here usually range from 5200 pounds (mini trucks like Toyotas, thru heavy half's like the F150 with the 7700 pound package.

15. sixspeed

sixspeed Senior Member

Hi Peter!

For a good example you can compare the G-wagen's specs to two GM's:

A 1/2 ton 4x4 6 1/2 box pickup:
    4500# curb weight
    3600# front axle
    3750# rear axle
    6400# GVWR

Tahoe 4 door SUV:

5192# curb weight
    3600# front axle
    3750# rear axle
    6800# GVWR...

Since it's pretty common to use 7 1/2 foot standard duty plows on 1/2 ton pickups I wouldn't see why it would not work on the G-wagen if used lightly and sensibly... I'd guess most SUV's don't offer plow prep packages due to the possibility of loading them up with people, cargo and plows and exceeding the GVWR. The only ones with plow prep packages are those that are based on 3/4 ton plow trucks such as the 2500 Suburban.

16. BreyerConstruct

BreyerConstruct Senior Member

If you do this....YOU GOTTA POST PICS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

~Matt

17. SnowGuy73

SnowGuy73 PlowSite Fanatic

Lol, oh, I agree..

18. fulltiltwill

fulltiltwill Senior Member

Hey Mistel, in the autoscout picture the plow on the truck is said to be a electrohydraulic snow-way plow. I don't know if it is the same brand but worth a call. I would look up their web site, get some numbers and get some info.

Last edited: Oct 5, 2005
  19. Allagash

Allagash Senior Member

G wagons are pretty cool. I've got a couple running around my town that I see every now and then. How much is the one you're buying?

20. Mistel

Mistel Member