1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Snowplow customers verses Lawn customers

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by SnowMan4U, Feb 15, 2006.

1. SnowMan4U

SnowMan4U Member

Well for the most part I suppose there is a common thread but I have to tell ya, it seems like the plow customers whine more than my lawn folks. What say you?:cry:

2. Jpocket

Jpocket Senior Member

Your exactly correct if you are talking about residential, some of my best customers in the world are lawn customers, then when they sign up for snow removal, all kinds of CRAZY SH*T THEY COME UP WITH.

I find that most are not willing to pay for proper service, they want you to come plow out ther driveway when the snow stops with 16inches in one push. Instead of every 6 or so inches.

If your plowing snow COMMERCIAL is the ONLY way to go, Residential snow work is the Bottom of the barrel. Next year I am targeting ALL Commercial Lots.

3. MIAWPUKEK

MIAWPUKEK Senior Member

See, the reason for that is.....most people don't know much about lawn care, so they hire the experts, and they agree to pretty much the experts have to say.:confused:

But when it comes to snow removal, everybody "knows" everything about plowing snow, so they try to tell you the best and cheapest way to plow it!:rolleyes:

Gimme a break!:gunsfiring:

4. go plow

go plow Senior Member

its funny how before i came across this thread i was thinking the same thing lol they expect you to plow it once , they expect you to perform magic, YOU MEAN THAT JUST BECAUSE THERE IS NO WERE TO PUSH THE SNOW, AND THE SNOW PILE IS TAKING UP MOST ON MY DRIVE WAY YOU HAVE TO CHARGE ME TO REMOVE IT? AND THE GOOD OLE, I DONT WANT YOU TO PUSH THE SNOW ON THE LAWN !!! AND I DONT WANT A PILE AT THE END OF THE DRIVE WAY!!! CAN YOU MELT IT???? IVE HAD IT !!!!!! I JUST HEARD FROM A CLIENT THIS PAST STORM, YOUR TAKING ALL MY GRAVEL !!! SO I TOLD HIM TO TELL THE WEATHER MAN TO STOP FORECASTING 50 DEGREE WEATHER IN JAN/FEB...... NOW HOW CAN I CONTROL THAT???

5. DodgeBlizzard

DodgeBlizzard Senior Member

Definitely snow customers

I'd definitely say snow customers are worse. Had a commercial customer, new this year, agreed on a trigger point of 2". So we get an inch storm that went all night and quit first thing in the morning. We went ahead and plow/salted the lot. They called two days later and said they only wanted plowed when it hit two inches. I asked if they were willing to risk a slip and fall for the price of $ 175.00? If you let that snow go, it will be an ice skating rink within a few hours. The customer is always right, but common sense plays into the fact, also. I said ok from now on, we will not touch the lot if we get less then 2". But once it hits that point, I may be heading the other direction and not get back to you when I can. A very busy commercial place and they're willing to leave an inch of snow covering the walks and lot.

6. MIAWPUKEK

MIAWPUKEK Senior Member

I know what you mean Dodge, I got the same problem, I like to get the snow off the store's parking lot before it opens and as soon as there's a sensible amt. of snow to be plowed. But the owner wants to "call me" now before I come and will even leave 3-4 inches on the lot at times, just to save a buck......40 at that! (thats all I charge). I guess risking a slip and fall suit is better than having a nice clear parking lot for his customer's.:rolleyes:

7. go plow

go plow Senior Member

no offence but you guys risk that?? who will the prop. owner call if some one does fall? you!!! i would tell them to sign somthing stating that he will take blame for his cheapness........ or i dont plow it or it gets plowed my way!!!!

8. SnowMan4U

SnowMan4U Member

I am finding that I am getting a lot of calls, mostly nit-pick stuff, from plow customers. There are some lawn customers I haven't heard from in 3 years, but as soon as I started plowing......"Hi, yea...umm...do you think you could raise your blade when your near the lawn, some dirt seems to be getting on the grass. Oh, speaking of which, you come back in the spring and clean that along with fixing the lawn right?":yow!:

9. PremierLand

PremierLand PlowSite.com Addict
    from detroit

Next year im not doing any commercial residentials. Maybe I will, but it will be with a seperate truck like a jeep or dakota, someone else driving it, and the customer is not getting anything hand shoveled, just plowed.

Then have a 3/4ton truck for all commercial accounts, which I will do.

I hate residential snow.

10. SnoFarmer

SnoFarmer PlowSite Fanatic
    from N,E. MN

Thats what I said last year. Just pick up a couple more lots to cover the loss.
    I like it, there are a lot less hassles, fewer people to make happy, less driving around. It just makes life easer.
    The only time I do any res. is after a big snow event and charge accordingly per push. Other wise it's

11. Jpocket

Jpocket Senior Member

Thats one thing I DO NOT tolerate. I WILL not have a customer call me when they are ready. The wok is done at MY discretion. IF it's a 2in trigger that when I'll be there

12. Jpocket

Jpocket Senior Member

Yup, Maybe not next year But im gonna Put 2 guys in a K-5 Blazer with a 2cycle snow blower and a shovel. All I will do is handle the calls. Residential snow is BS but it does pay if you have the patience. I only have the patience to collect the $$$.

13. SnowMatt13

SnowMatt13 PlowSite.com Addict

I had a private road customer like that this year. Contract states....road will be cleared of snow after 3" has accumulated and every 3" after that....blah blah blah. Well 12" storm in January cust calls and says wait until it's over we only want to pay once. Said sorry, I have a signed contract, I'll be there more than once. I thought to myself nice, they want me to plow after it's done, 4 times the origional trigger.:angry: So I said fine, I'll plow it once and multiply my bill 4 times. Got and argument, guess who's getting dropped nest year??:D

14. mike33

mike33 Senior Member

Bobcat Service

I had the same problem, went to all commercial. My favorite saying is i plow my driveway and tear up the grass at times, what do you think i can do in your driveway not knowing it. Look outside when it snows you have every rebuilt piece of **** going with a plow dangling on it. We can not compete with these idiots who will plow for pizza or think plow 20 driveways in 1 day and think the 200.00 they took in was big money. The 4 wheelers really piss me off they just cant believe they plow all of those driveways and made 100.00 with there toy.

15. Remsen1

Remsen1 Senior Member

Snow customers are definetly worse. They all want cheap, they all want you to wait till its done snowing, then they want you there within an hour or they have johnny down the street shovel. and all the other stuff everyone already mentioned.

16. Remsen1

Remsen1 Senior Member

I feel almost the same way. I like doing the work as long as the customer lets me do what needs to be done when it needs to be done and pays without negative comment.