1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Snowplow cover during summer?

Discussion in 'Residential Snow Removal' started by vincedovy, Mar 10, 2013.

1. vincedovy

vincedovy Junior Member
    from Mass

I have a new Fisher HT plow. Unfortunately I don't have a garage / shed to store it in during the non-winter months. Should I get the Snow Parka (hydraulics and electronics cover)? Anyone have any experience with this?

2. nyy845

nyy845 Junior Member
    from CT

I used a tarp for the blade and the largest BBQ cover I could find at Home depot for the lights/pump/wires. Much cheaper than the Fisher brand cover.
  3. theplowmeister

theplowmeister 2000 Club Member
    from MA

I make an A frame with 2x4 s and a tarp. you have to let air circulate or condensation will get trapped in it
  4. peteo1

peteo1 PlowSite.com Addict

Spray it with fluid film and leave it sit outside. We've done it for years with no issues.
  5. Dakota Dave

Dakota Dave Member

My old western I cover the rams with grease and the electrical connections with duct tape Has set outside since the mid 1970s without any problems.If you cover it you need to have a way for air to circulate or you will just accelerate the rusting process. Put a plank under it so its not sitting directly on the dirt.
    Last edited: Mar 11, 2013
  6. vincedovy

vincedovy Junior Member
    from Mass

Thanks all!
  7. mnglocker

mnglocker Senior Member

Keep it off the ground on some boards, and as the others have said, let the air circulate. Also, grease the hydro rams, clean the electrical connectors and pack them with dialectric grease.
  8. Stik208

Stik208 PlowSite.com Addict

Cover the holes on the A frame and pump mount, I got bees in mine when I had it.
  9. theplowmeister

theplowmeister 2000 Club Member
    from MA

Aaa yes forgot to mention I used to park my plow on pallets, I now have a portable garage from harbor freight for $200 that I pack with my plow stuff

3 plows 2 sets snow tires ballast....
  10. fownu

fownu Junior Member

great signature
  11. info4tim

info4tim Senior Member

X2 on FF freezes rust production lasts 3-6 mos. DO NOT EVER COVER A PLOW SETUP!
  12. PLOWMAN45

PLOWMAN45 2000 Club Member

i just put a tarp on loose so it can breathe