1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Snowplow 71/2 vs 8' ?

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by Tim C, Dec 17, 2003.

1. Tim C

Tim C Member

I plow driveways and parking lot I have a 2500 dodge v-10 right now i am plowing 71/2 , I think a 8' plow might make my job easer. could I get some feed back. I put a 8' fisher mm2 on reserve for dec. 29 for pick up. I donot have to change wireing or front pin hook. Thanks for any input.

Tim C Let it Snow:drinkup:

2. MickiRig1

MickiRig1 PlowSite Veteran

Bigger Plow?

Have you thought about adding pro-wings? About $180 a set.
    Do a search for the thread on them here.
    From what I have read they are worth it
    My next plow will have them. I am maxed out on weight on my present plow it's a 4 springer Husky so it weights quite a bit.
    But we spend so much time rounding up slush they would have to be worth it.

3. JMR

JMR Senior Member

Go with the pro wings. I can't say enough about them. They will make a 7 1/2' blade 9' 2". The rubber cutting edge won't tear up grass or landscaping. They WORK. Move more snow less time, make more MONEY. Best money I ever spent. We now have them on 2 of our 4 trucks. I plan on adding them to the other 2 soon.

4. meyer22288

meyer22288 Senior Member

they 8ft blade is a better size plow for your truck. pro wings are a great idea to. just put pro wings on the 8ft blade an you will be set:)

5. intimidator

intimidator Member

One of our plows is an 8' western pro plow with pro wings and it works great. the only draw back is doing drive thrus in banks and restaraunts, it just won't fit. The 7.5' plow with pro wings is a little wide, but does a good job where the 8' plow won't fit. The pro wings would be a lot cheaper than buying a bigger plow.

6. bushwoods1

bushwoods1 Member

Pro wings are the way to go. I put them on my 7 1/2 this year, and love them.

7. TLS

TLS PlowSite.com Addict

For the most part, on "most" plows, when you step up to an 8' plow, your getting a MUCH better built plow.

Most of the time your stepping up from a Light Duty plow in the 7 1/2' size to a Contractor Duty plow in the 8'+ sizes.

I don't see any reason NOT to go with at least an 8' plow on ANY fullsize truck. The extra width really helps you from driving over your sidecast snow.

8. ratlover

ratlover PlowSite.com Addict
    from IL

Is the 7.5 in fine shape? I realy see no reason what so ever to spend the money on a new blade if the old one works well for 3" on both sides.

Rest of the info please

9. Runner

Runner Senior Member

I agree that the difference between a 7'6" plow on a full sized truck and an 8' plow is a WORLD of difference. Not just because of the "6 in." more of blade, (really no diifference at all), but because it open a whole new realm in trim capability. A 7'6" blad barely even exceeds the width of the front tires, and when the blade is angled like it is for trimming, it doesn't. The 8' does. Adding wings would be a SIGNIFICANT difference in many ways. Not just wider area, and better trimming capability, but alot less tails, as well. I am currently preparing tp purchase a set, also. I have a friend that has a set that are like brand new. He bought them for a 9' Wetern Pro. He used them half a season, and took them off because he didn't like them. (He has several V blades, as well). My question is (and I hope someone can help me), can I use these same ones on an older Western standard moldboard? Is the curvature the same? I know the height is different, but that shouldn't really matter.

10. jt5019

jt5019 Senior Member

I have a 8 foot fisher.I would love to get pro wings for it but we have a few loading docks at our commercial lots that are only about 9 foot max from curb to curb.I think it would be a pain to keep removing them.I may just go with a new blizzard plow next season.