1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Snowmobile Trail Groomers

Discussion in 'Heavy Equipment' started by diezelfreak, Dec 7, 2014.

1. diezelfreak

diezelfreak Member

Here are a couple of ours. Top pic is the 6150r on Soucy tracks the bottom pic is a 7630 with Soucy track and both are pulling double winged Dubie Groomers

2. JustJeff

JustJeff PlowSite.com Addict

Wow, those things are awesome! Do you really need that much machine to pull a groomer though?
  3. SnoFarmer

SnoFarmer PlowSite Fanatic
    from N,E. MN

Yes, and even that tractor will get stuck rather easily.
  4. diezelfreak

diezelfreak Member

We have never gotten one stuck yet..knock on wood. But we need the hp for pulling hills. With more horses comes with a bigger machine. And on the same note more weight for pulling. There are smaller dedicated trail groomer machines with more horse but don't have the framework that will withstand the weight of the drag. Plus they are high maintenance. So we like to stick with farm tractors. And very low maintenance.
  5. framer1901

framer1901 Senior Member

One beautiful zamboni machine there
  6. tuney443

tuney443 PlowSite.com Addict

Being a HUGE Deere guy,that rig is just awesome!! At my fav watering hole while riding up in our North country,up by Old Forge,a place called Norridgewok in the Adirondacks, they have one of their pullers,a 2006 LBZ Duramax with the Trackmats,will try and post a pic when I can.
  7. ABC Plow

ABC Plow Member

More pictures! I know there is snow!!
  8. diezelfreak

diezelfreak Member

Jordan Valley Trails Council

JD 6150R Direct Drive Trans Soucy tracks and blade. And double winged Dubie Groomer. Pulling in a corner

2015-01-19 19.47.04.jpg
  9. John_DeereGreen

John_DeereGreen PlowSite.com Addict

The Direct Drive is a sweet setup, it drives very similar to the E23 in the 7R series. Sure isn't an IVT though!
  10. newhere

newhere PlowSite.com Addict
    from Fenton

What's the big differences in a direct drive over a IVT ? What are the benefits or drawbacks of each?

I know nothing on the subject but I'm guessing it's like a direct drive dozer with a clutch over a hydro trans??
  11. diezelfreak

diezelfreak Member

We had the IVT in last year's tractor and I did not like it at all. It felt like the tractor could never get up on its feet spent more time on its face. The direct drive is awesome! In auto it shifts just like a automatic trans in a pick up. It does a very good job downshifting to keep the rpms up. Then having the option to bump through 24 gears is awsome. There is one thing that deere needs is to put thumb wheel for the auto on loader joystick. And the jump from B range to C range is a rather long delay. But I would never get another ivt. I have never been happy with the IVT's even in our 7630.
  12. John_DeereGreen

IVT is for when you need extremely precise speed adjustment and control, and/or higher road speeds. Direct drive is a fancy powershift, that can be automatic, more or less.

You've got the right idea for comparison. Powershift that can be automatic or a hydro.

I'm not a huge fan of IVT when it comes to heavy draft work, like what you're doing, heavy tillage, heavy grain carts, etc. To me they feel like they're constantly slipping under heavy load, it doesn't feel like the power is going to the ground as well. A lot of that is just audio, because the tractor is changing engine RPM's to compensate for varying load. Baling, mowing hay, raking hay, spreading manure, stuff like that they're great.

Light loads or lots of road time is where they shine.

They're more fuel efficient because the tractor contols everything. Pick the speed you want to go, roll the throttle all the way forward, and let it vary RPM to match load. OP is this how you're running the IVT? That's how they're meant to be run, for at least 90 percent of applications.

I'm young, but I'm old school in this sense. I want to have control. I want the tractor to shift and change the throttle when I want it to shift, not when it thinks it can. Because I can see what's coming, it can't.
  13. diezelfreak

diezelfreak Member

Very well put and I agree with you about being young but old school. I grew up running oliver's and White's and still do. I'm just 25.
  14. kimber750

kimber750 PlowSite Veteran

All this does is make me miss my sled. :(
  15. John_DeereGreen

When we were farming still, the only thing I liked the IVT for was planting. It was also really nice for unloading on the go in corn, but sucked ass once you got a full buggy and wanted to move across a field

"Trans Heat Warning" "Trans Heat Warning" Is all I saw on the demo we tried.

I'll stick with my Powershift's. Now, I think the biggest 8000 series you can get with the Powershift is the 8295R. Maybe the 8320. I guess Deere believes in their IVT more than me.
  16. LapeerLandscape

LapeerLandscape PlowSite.com Addict

Saw a couple of the old Tucker Trail cat groomers in the U.P. of Mich over the weekend. Put about 400 miles on my sled, what a great time it was.
  17. CityGuy

CityGuy PlowSite Fanatic

That thing is sweet looking.

Are those after market tracks or factory?
  18. diezelfreak

diezelfreak Member

Yes they are after market. They are made by Soucy Track out of Canada.
  19. diezelfreak

diezelfreak Member

Got the wings down bringing some fresh snow onto the trail in tight section of woods.

2015-01-22 10.09.42.jpg
  20. xtreem3d

xtreem3d PlowSite.com Addict

Kind of weird I saw this post. I just watched a vid and thought maybe the machine was grooming for cross country skiing. ( I'm from midwest:dizzy:) I saw the word Club XXXXXX XXXXX on the side and figured a ski club
    Last edited: Jan 23, 2015