1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Snowman vs. Daniels

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by Rob, Aug 2, 2002.

1. Rob

Rob PlowSite.com Veteran

Hi All,
    I am thinking of adding a rear plow to my truck for the upcoming season. I have looked into both the Daniels and the Snowman and I am looking for input on which you all prefer and why. The prices I have gotten for each are in the same ball park so price would not be a deciding factor.

Thanks for your input,

BTW - I am running a 2000 F250 SD Supercab Shortbed.

2. Shady Brook

Shady Brook Member
    from Indiana

Did you get a backplow? I am looking at them as well only the Snowman is over 1,000 dollars more for the same length blade. :eek: Seems like a no brainer to me in my situation. I have heard something about the Daniels not having a float option, does anyone know if Snowman does, and if it really makes any real performance differences? I assume it is only relavent with uneven terrain. I like the idea of the Daniels being closer to the truck, but if you are going to salt, it seems like you would need to go Snowman. I would really enjoy more discussion on the subject, maybe now that fall is here more folks will be on the site to respond.

Thanks
    Jay

3. PINEISLAND1

PINEISLAND1 PlowSite.com Veteran

If you want to run the tailgate salter, you need a twin cylinder like the snowman. The daniels will not work.

I also do not like the cutting edge on the daniels. It is specific to that unit, so you need to buy it from them.. If i remember correctly, it is a wrap around 1 piece corner.

One of our subs has one, and it works fine, its just the small details that matter. I think the price should be about the same. Since snowman is in the 2500 range, I dont think daniels could be 1 K less.

4. Garagekeeper

Garagekeeper Senior Member

Pull Plows

:eek: Yes the cutting edge is made to "only" fit each size of Pull Plow, but are not a high wear items. I have plows that have been in use for ten years and still do not need replacement. Sure they have some wear but still will last for years to come, most of the wear seems to be from using "too much" down pressure when plowing. (You should see how they work with a poly edge.) As far as having a "float" on the plow that can be added to most of the systems. Around here the price differance seems to be anywhere from $800 to $1000 between the two. John

5. Garagekeeper

Pull Plows

:eek: Yes the cutting edge is made to "only" fit each size of Pull Plow, but are not a high wear items. I have plows that have been in use for ten years and still do not need replacement. Sure they have some wear but still will last for years to come, most of the wear seems to be from using "too much" down pressure when plowing. (You should see how they work with a poly edge.) As far as having a "float" on the plow that can be added to most of the systems. Around here the price differance seems to be anywhere from $800 to $1000 between the two. John

6. Earthscapes

Earthscapes Senior Member
    from WNY

Hey Rob have you seen the "Driftbuster".

(www.driftbuster.com)

I guess the new ones have a float, for whatever reason. I don't have a float on mine and never had a problem with it.

quik note a good freind of mine has a daniels and it falls apart more than it plows

7. BWhite

BWhite Senior Member

snowman

I just bought a snowman 70scy still need to install it . It looks like it's built right and it supposed to "float' at 1500 lbs. > talked with someone with a daniels and said it doesnt float and if you drive over a tall enough high spot you can lift the rear wheels

8. Big Todd

Big Todd Senior Member

We are looking at a couple of different rear plows (we call 'em back blades...). They are both made by local truck equipment shops that also sell snowplows. they are both just about identically priced.

One looks a lot like the Driftbuster mentioned previously in this thread where the whole unit is more or less self contained and it mounts up to your hitch. You just hook it up and plug in the electrical conection and go. This seems prety convenient and you don't have to have the pump permanently mounted in your bed with the hydraulic lines running back, but I question the durability with a lot of heavy use. All of the weight of the unit as well as the snow you're pulling is put on that one single two inch hitch mount...

The other one is mounted to your truck with four steel bars that pivot and the cylinder mounts to your hitch receiver. It seems like that would be much more durable but the pump and lines must be permanently mounted in your truck. Also, I've heard that this style is a bit more tricky to get lined up, so you prety much want to put it on in November and leave it there 'til March.

Any other thoughts?

9. Garagekeeper

Back Plows

I know it's a real bear to get some of the "single mount" rear blades on when everything is attached to the 2" connecting bar. Just think how much force is put on your receiver tube when you are plowing or worse when you snag or back into a curb with the corner of the blade. It's hard to beat any of the units that have "two draw bars" coming off the plow that will carry more of the load back to the corners of your hitch and truck frame. As far as mounting the pumps on the Pull Plows, you can on some installs mount the power unit right on the back of the lift assembly and install connectors on the battery and control harness. John

10. ChicagoSnow

ChicagoSnow Senior Member

We have run 4 Daniels pull plows over 8 years............. they have been outstanding!

All this talk about "the need for a floating pull plow" really should not be the determining feature when choosing a pull plow.

It should be the overall length of your plow vehicle with the pull plow installed(maneuverability), additional weight, adequate down pressure and of course performance!

The nice feature about the Daniels is it is very small in size in comparison to other pull plows. Even though the pump is mounted in the engine compartment (in most cases), which one might argue takes more time to install, limited installation space......which are all true, the beautiful feature is the pump is being warmed throughout the plowing operation which increases performance and reduces overall power draw on your vehicle!

I will say that I now have a Snowman 8' RS pull plow awaiting installation. It's not so much that I love the blade tripping feature, but I am so "hooked" on the productivity of a pull plow that I am now setting up new plow rigs with pull plows and salter capabilities.

Oh yeah, by the way, pull plows make great back bumpers too!!!

ChicagoSnow

11. Haden61

Haden61 Member
    from Iowa

back plows

You will never plow with out your back plow after you get to use one. They make life so much easyer. Any back plow would have to be alot better than no back plow, which ever brand. I have used one for 4 going on my 5th year. I have been using a single mount system with a joy stick control, I can take both front and back plows off in less than 4 minutes no problem, the blade trips and I haven't had any hitch trouble. I know the company has twin cyliner/twin mounts that work with spreaders and they take longer to put on and off, but that only makes sense. I have not seen Daniels price so I can't say how they compare, I did see a new advertised price from Michigan on a 7' Snowman at $1875 carry out. That was also from a dealer that used to make a back plow. Shop apples to apples, Snowman makes 4 models. I think Snowmans spreader plow does run quite a bit more, maybe $800 but you could run a spreader. My 2 bits, you get what you pay for. Let It Snow!

12. Mark Oomkes

Mark Oomkes PlowSite Fanatic

something to think about for all those that hook back plows to your hitch. With all that wear and tear on a receiver hitch, if you ever lose a trailer and it hits something or someone, the liability is going to be on you and the plow manufacturer. The hitch has been modified and no longer will be warranteed or anything else by the hitch manufacturer.

Big Todd, if you want a pretty much indestructible back plow check with Ebling and Sons. All of our back blades are from him and other than some cylinder problems we have not had a single problem with them.

13. PINEISLAND1

PINEISLAND1 PlowSite.com Veteran

Hey Mark-

DJ said Ebling was working on a model to work with a tailgate spreader, have you seen it yet ? I am planning on trying the snowman for the truck I'm setting up now, but if they get their model done soon I would look at it.

I really am sick of the B and B back blades. They just are not convenient enough for me anymore, I like to take them on and off alot, and I want to run my tailgate salter with it as well on this truck.

I still think the cutting edge is a drawback on the daniels, and if you looked at it side by side with these others you would see what I mean I think.

14. Mark Oomkes

Mark Oomkes PlowSite Fanatic

No, he doesn't have one that will work with a tailgate spreader. Right now he is just about finished with the model that you don't have to remove the factory bumper. It looks very strong, I don't think it will have nearly the problems that I've heard about with the B&B back blades.

Maybe next year on the tailgate spreader one. We were thinking about putting one together like that, but we bought just a pickup instead. Truck and Trailer in Dutton built one for Sysco Foods last year, it's a neat setup except the blade is junk IMO.

15. Shady Brook

Shady Brook Member
    from Indiana

How cumbersome is it to haul around a pull plow? I have about an hour drive before getting to where I plow, will it be very akward with an 8' pull plow? Do they flop around and stuff, I ask because I read someone advise against anything over a 7' blade because it is a pain to drive with?

Thanks
    Jay

16. Garagekeeper

:eek: Jay why would you think that it would be cumbersome to drive to your accounts or around town with a Pull Plow on your truck? If anything your truck would ride better with the extra weight in the back. Remember that a tailgate spreader weighs more when loaded, if you were thinking about the extra weight behind the rear axle. I haven't had anyone say that they could hear any noise coming from their back plow while traveling with it installed. You know that the plow is not held up by a chain but with a hydraulic lift arm that will not allow it to flop around. John

17. Shady Brook

Shady Brook Member
    from Indiana

John,

Thanks for the post. No, that makes perfect sense. I was just asking because I read an old post where a fella advised against a big back plow. His reasoning was to the effect that it would be unwieldy when traveling.

I realize the weight would only be a good thing, less ballast to consider.

What cutting edges do you put on these back plows? Do they work awsome with that extra down pressure?

Thanks John

Jay

18. slplow

slplow PlowSite.com Veteran

I have a daniels and like that it sits close to the truck. I have had it for 2 years with no problems. Right now it's on a truck that I am selling but might keep it or buy a new one, for the new truck.

19. Garagekeeper

Jay as you already know they come with a steel cutting edge (that are made to only fit this plow) I have had quite a few change over to poly over the past two years. The down pressure is great when you need to dig in and remove the hard packed snow. John

20. BWhite

BWhite Senior Member

installed

Just completed installing my 7ft Snowman back plow . It took about 4 hours. The install was straight forward and it looks like a rugged piece