1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

snowman snowplow

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by truck1500, Jan 12, 2003.

1. truck1500

truck1500 Member

i was wondering if any one has tried one of the angling back blades from snowman snowplows.

2. Yzal

Yzal Member
    from ND

i've tryed one i'd rather use the standard snowman, but to each is own. try one first you might like it?

3. Alan

Alan PlowSite.com Addict

Do a search! This has come up before and you STILL aren't going to do much with your 2 WD.

4. fordman

fordman Senior Member

I agree a back blade isn't going to work to well on a 2WD truck if those 2 wheels are in the snow.

5. SnowGodFather

SnowGodFather Member

Not a chance.

Snowman plows all have down preassure. I don't see you moving fwd in a 2 wheel drive. They are still ment for 4wd.

I have a Snowman back plow that does not angle. Looks like there will be lots of strain on your hitch if you used an angle one. Even more so commercially.

6. Yzal

Yzal Member
    from ND

that will not work at all! it will take a good chunk of the weight off the back wheels get a 4x4 first!

7. Yzal

Yzal Member
    from ND

hey snowgodfather have you ever checked your bolts on your reseaver to see if they get tweeked or loosened? it hasn't happened yet but wondering if it will? i drive the only truck in my town with a snowman on and i get some(ahh i wish i had one) looks.

8. SnowGodFather

SnowGodFather Member

All bolts seem to be tight.
    I bought it used off ebay.
    I went through it pretty good. Got it home, 2 days later it paid for its self.

We have gotten lots of looks already and some what the heck is that.

So far I seen it has saved lots of time on backdragging docks and hauling snow across a lot. Other than that, it has to come off if that truck were to do drives. Makes it to long. So that truck will stay commercial only. Also mounted it on a Dodage Ram 1500 extra cab short bed. Removed the tail gate so the view is better, but the back plow gets in the way of the back up lights, so now you know what one of my projects is Moday after noon. Adding back up lights to it. Already have a nice bar that goes from stake pocket to stake pocket that used to hold the tailgate spreader that was on that truck. Drill some holes, bolt them down, and make a plug to fit the 7 lead plug and I have back up lights.

9. Yzal

Yzal Member
    from ND

yeah the first time i used the plow i left the tail gate on...that was intresting. learned my lesson from there on out. don't really have a problem with the back up lights. i did have a wireing problem with the plow hook up. someone last summer droped the mower trailer hitch on top of the wire and cut through all the insulation, so when i went to use it for the first time this winter i pluged it in and just about took my head off cuz the whole thing went up with out pushing any buttons. fixed that problem now runs good as new! it does get a little long on the truck long box regcab, my partner wants to put on a long box x-cab... i sad you'd be in the street when your at the garage door! oh well.

10. TMC

TMC Junior Member
    from CT

SNOWMAN 75LDA REVIEW

I have a 75LDA model that I use on a 2003 regular cab Dakota with a V6, 5 speed, LSD, 5900 gvw, HD service group and tow package. Didn’t want to put a front plow on this new vehicle so I looked into the rear plows that were on the market. Snowman seemed the most complete.
    <br>
    I got the plow in a box from my local dealer the day before a snow storm. Assembled and wired it that evening in about 5 hours. Definitely a well built piece of equipment. Went together fairly easily with only a couple of glitches because I used the man’s way of assembly (don’t read the instructions). Paid about $2400 for it. This was a better price than usual according to my dealer because he had the unit for 1 year and couldn’t sell it. He had it with a 6.5’ blade and had to bring in the longer blade for me to purchase it.
    <br>
    Used it the next day for the first time on a 6 inch storm on my driveway as well as two neighbors. I’ve got a 700’ uphill curved driveway with two parking areas about 50’x 75’ and 30’ x 40’.
    <br>
    Plowing the driveway is easy. Moving the snow out of the parking areas is not so easy. This is because you cannot pile the snow. You can only drag it out of the parking area and throw it off to one side or another. This could get especially troublesome if a bad winter came along with lots of snow and not much melting.
    <br>
    Some other comments:<br>
    1) At the street end of the driveway just as you start to turn you need to straighten the blade and then re-angle it when you turn is finished. Otherwise, you end up with a narrow entrance. <br>
    2) This plow certainly could not be used on a two wheel drive vehicle with success as it does unload the rear end when it is lowered. Down pressure is accomplished with two heavy springs. These are somewhat adjustable but you need them pulling down pretty hard as the plow itself isn’t real heavy. Consequently, you unload the rear wheels. Good snow tire are a must due to this and the fact that you are driving through the snow before you plow it.<br>
    3) Hook-up is not nearly as easy as they state on their website. It’s one thing to back up to a trailer and drop the hitch on to the ball. It is an entirely different thing to back up and make a 2” tongue with 500 lbs attached to it meet a 2” receiver with 4000 lbs attached to it. They sell a cart (dolly). I welded one up myself. It really is required for easy hook-up. And I do this in my garage with concrete floor. Imagine trying to hook-up outdoors during a snowstorm. It is easy to drop the plow off the vehicle though. <br>
    4) As others have said, you really should take off your tailgate if you are using a pickup. Makes it easier to see where you are backing. A rear light would be good for night plowing too but I haven’t done anything about that yet.

Overall, plowing with my '90 K1500 short bed Chevy with Meyer's plow was a bit easier and quicker. But I'm sure this is easier on the truck and I will get used to it. I wouldn't suggest using this as an only plow for commercial users. But it does do the job for the average homeowner with a long driveway. For a small driveway, get a snowblower.

11. TMC

TMC Junior Member
    from CT

After Feb 18 blizzard. Chains pulled me through ANYTHING.

mvc-023s.jpg

12. Jerre Heyer

Jerre Heyer Senior Member

TMC, Keep those cross links tight. Would hate to see you tear up that pretty sheet metal.

I've got to agree with you on the hook up aspect of the LDA. I like hooking up the straight version better.
    Did you put the stop plates on the slide in tube. This helps alot. Only let's it go in that far and then you slide the pin in.

I also opened up the hole in the tube to allow for the sway of the reciever tube and slide in tube on uneven ground.

The 2wd thing is sketchy at best. Maybe with alot of rear end weight.

I used a 7' straight blade for 3 years at my house for a walkway and turn around and at the shop every storm to pull the snow out for the front blade. The 1500 psi down pressure was very very nice ( could even change tires if the blade was blocked up )

I changed to a 7.5LDA last year and now use that. The only thing I miss is the extra down pressure. I put an extra set of springs on for a while but have taken them off.

I use the LDA in the spring and summer to grade gravel roads and move matl. worked very well.

I purchased a york rake attachment last fall ( take the drop tubes off and drop the blade then install the rake with it's drop tubes ) and in between the snow falls the last two weeks have been using it for grading.

You want to talk about what's that looks well I got alot of them.
    Then the flag downs started happening to grade driveways and roads and to pull the gravel piles out of lawns and yards.
    It works great for that. I've been asked to do a campgrounds as soon as the snow melts off again.

Have had one reciever issue in the one's we put on for customers. It was an older class 4 unit with thin wall tubing and a light piece of tube wrapped around the end. He split the corners out of the end. Still held by the pin but was sloppy.

Had one customer pull the hitch free from the truck after a couple of seasons. I guess the fact that the frame rails had rotted out from lots of salt and never cleaning it finally took it's toll.

I think for more driveways I'd opt for the 6.5 with the wings Snowman offers. Gives you an 8' carry blade and it cleans better when angle plowing.

Stepside standard cab with front blade and back blade or bronco/blazer/ram charger with front and back make for a very manuverable driveway clearer.

Oh yes lights in the back are very nice as the Godfather said.

Jerre

13. Mike 97 SS

Mike 97 SS Banned
    from U.S.A.

TMC, thats a sharp looking little truck. I like it. It looks like the RT model, but Im assuming its not? I *think* the RT model only comes in 2WD with the 360 motor? I think the RT model is more "racey" than work. Mike :)

14. Snoworks

Snoworks Senior Member

Hey gentlemen, forgive me if this is a dumb question, but what is the benifit of having a angling rear plow! Is this plow built solely to be mounted on trucks with no front plow.

I have five trucks with Daniels pull plows, all have front blades as well. With a rear angled blade it would add a considerable amount of time to my plowing projects.

Chuck B.

15. TMC

TMC Junior Member
    from CT

Mike, as I mentioned in an earlier post, the truck is an SLT model 4x4 with a V6 and a manual tranny. The V6 even with the 5 speed is pretty slow in normal usage but you really don't need V8 power for plowing if you use low range.

Chuck, This plow is primarily aimed at homeowners for their SUVs. There someone on this forum from VT that uses both front plow and rear angling plow on one truck. I only have the a rear plow on this truck. You can read my comments on its usage in the post above the photo.

The only thing I will add is that when you get a lot of snow like we did this winter, you eventually need a loader (I've got a Kubota with a loader) to push the piles back further. See photo.

Jerre, I did put the stop plates on the mount. At first I hadn't and that made it very hard to mount. After all the use I got out of this plow this past winter, I am getting much better mounting the plow.

As for the strength of the receiver, I have the factory receiver. It seems very strong. I think it is mounted with 8 bolts. I still need to make up some rear lighting.

16. TMC

TMC Junior Member
    from CT

Forgot photo

mvc-020s.jpg

17. TMC

TMC Junior Member
    from CT

One more gratuitous Dodge photo

mvc-024s.jpg

18. Mike 97 SS

Mike 97 SS Banned
    from U.S.A.

TMC, sorry about missing that, I dont know how I missed where you typed that, but I see it now. Nice truck anyway. :drinkup: Mike :waving:

19. Jerre Heyer

Jerre Heyer Senior Member

Snoworks,

The benifit from having both front and rear angling plows that I have seen is to be able to back up flat to a door or dock, pull out and then angle to the side you are angling the front blade to. This will carry out and then dump the snow to the side. Takes about 1 1/2 truck lengths from the time you angle it to clear it off.
    I also noticed a big difference between the Daniels and the Snowman LIFT HEIGHT on the Snowman is alot higher than the Daniels. This is great for loading docks, snow drifts in front of doors and raising it off of piles pulled out to push with the front blade.
    Also the rear blade can be used for summer clean up and road work as I posted above and the angling blade does a better job than the straight one.

One of the Angle blade customers specified 6.5 with wings for 8' total and runs an 810 on the front. He ran Daniels with Fisher front blades for years. End of season feedback was that his boss is looking at Snowman back blades for the new trucks he's setting up and 810's and V plow's depending on the route he's putting them on.

Jerre

20. Alan

Alan PlowSite.com Addict

Tail lights on a rear plow

We've got a 75LDA. We use the angle function quite a lot. One place/time when it works great is late season falls where the ground is thawed. A front plow is just about impossible to keep from digging in but the rear plow will lift as the pull force increases. It's pretty easy to "pull" several inches of snow off soft gravel and roll it off to the side. Then the only "pushing" you have to do is a little by the street.

Incidentally, we're the ones running both front and rear plows on one truck. The back plow goes well with the Sno-Way on he front of our S-10.

One thing that bothered me was that when the rear plow was raised to blocked the truck taillights. I added a light bar to ours, giving me tail and stop lights as well as a self contained LED strobe. I had an extra lead in my trailer plug so I used that to get power to the strobe as well as the regular trailer connections to feed the auxiliary lights.

snowman taillights.jpg