1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

snowman rear plow: which model?

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by chris08087, Dec 2, 2003.

1. chris08087

chris08087 Junior Member
    from NJ

I am planning to get a snowman rear plow. I was set on the model 80 sc, the 8 foot version with hydralic down pressure. I plan on using this to clear snow from residential driveways that are about 20-25 foot long. I have approx. 250 homes that I need to clear. When I called to order the plow, the salesman said that he didn't have that model in stock and told me about the 7.5 and 8.5 foot lta models. They angle, compared to the sc which doesn't angle, but they do not have the hydralic downpressure, only springs pulling down. The main purpose this plow would serve would be to clean driveways. which model do you recommend?
    thanks in advance for any input
  2. chris08087

chris08087 Junior Member
    from NJ

I wanted to add that I will be using this on a 2002 F350 with no plow on the front.
  3. Crash935

Crash935 2000 Club Member

With 250 drive to do, put a front blade on also. With the back blade you will not be able to push the snow off to the side, so when you get to the end of the drive there sits a pile of snow you cant do anything with and its illegal pretty much everywhere to just kind of spread it down the street. Go with a 8' blade on the front and a 7.5 twin arm (if your still going snowman) on the rear. With both blades you can back in, drop both blades run to the end of the drive and pick both up at the end of the drive, spin around and bank whats at the approach in 2 shots and be on to the next.
  4. BWinkel

BWinkel Senior Member

For commercial applications, I would go with the 80 sc with the down pressure. Like crash935 said, it should be used with a front mounted plow.
  5. chris08087

chris08087 Junior Member
    from NJ

How much more down pressure does the two cylinder model(80 RS) produce compared to the single cylinder model(80 SC) From waht I have researched, the SC model slides right into the 2" receiver, while the RS model attaches in some other fashion. Personally, I think that the model that slides into the receiver would be easier to use, but if the double cylinder provides alot more power, I may get one of those.
  6. Daryl

Daryl Junior Member

I have 4 of the snowman/snowplow rear scrapers.

I would not even remotely consider a single receiver type for any major residential or commercial clearer. In my opinion the single ones are for personal use only.

We use only the 80RS. Yes you have to change your hitches but the single will not hold up to heavy use.

The plows are excellent and work well but even with the 2 cylinder models you will eventually need to do some welding.

If you buy the singles you will snap them at the receiver hitch.

As for taking them on and off the truck the duals are very easy and I belive easier than the single.

We take them off at the top hydraulic cylinder pin and the top mount pin. We leave the mount from the receiver under the bumper on the truck all the time. We then put quick connects on the hose and mount the hydraulic pumps in the back of the truck. One guy takes 5-10 minutes to put on and about 3 minutes to take off. Two guys takes almost no time. The longest part of putting them on is lining your truck up.

By leaving the pumps in the back of the truck they do not get convered in salt and sand and stay way cleaner. We put them in the box that snowman provides and bolt them in.
  7. Little Jay

Little Jay Senior Member

Order, and wait the week, for the 80rs. We have three and love them. They have held up well under tough conditions. I have one thing to add to the above reply as he has covered it all; we made the side plates twice as long. We used the ones supplied as templates, then extended the length. Due to the added length we welded in a piece of angle for support. It looks like it came from the factory and only a keen eye will notice. The volume of snow it pulled was good before, but now its fantastic.