1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Snowman pull plow on 2wd

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself to the Community' started by jbok19, Nov 4, 2005.

1. jbok19

jbok19 Member

I was wondering if it is possible to put a snowman pull plow on a 2wd 1/2 ton pick-up? Let me know what you all think and please be kind I'm new.
  2. Mark Oomkes

Mark Oomkes PlowSite Fanatic

In a word (and from experience) No.
  3. jbok19

jbok19 Member

anyone elese got a suggestion???
  4. Mowerpan

Mowerpan Senior Member

Anything is possible. Its just those pull plows and the hydraulics actually kinda"lift" up the truck from exerting down pressure which is why they scrape good. You could put it on there, but you'd wanna run quite a bit of weight in the back proboly. And it depends your application. If you just wanna do your driveway, you'd prolly be fine, if your talking commerical, don't even bother.
  5. jbok19

jbok19 Member

I'm just looking to do residental drives about a dozen or so. The plow already itself is 460ibs.
  6. Mowerpan

Mowerpan Senior Member

I hear ya. The plow weight wouldn't count, neccesarily as the problem is on those pull plows, at least the higher end ones that use hydraulics, is the plows actually lift up the rear of the truck because it pushes down hard so it will scrape clean. The problem with 2wd is the plow takes weight off the rear tires and puts it on the plow so the tires will have a harder time getting traction. Plus you will have to back into the driveway with the plow... what if after you put the plow down, the rear tires, that are in the snow, cant get traction. Wala you stuck. You could make it work with some tires chains and a good amount of weight in the back proboly, but if your looking at buying a brand new pull plow, for the same price you could find some cheap 4x4 and a cheap used plow setup for less then a pullplow.
  7. ratlover

ratlover PlowSite.com Addict
    from IL

You may be able to limp by if you were to stick a CRAPLOAD of weight in the bed. But even then I'm saying no. It may work in a pinch but it wouldnt work well. If you had to plow with a 2wd truck you would be better off with a front blade and sticll a crapload of weight in the bed. But even then its not a good idea. JMO
  8. sleepless

sleepless Junior Member

only if it was all down hill. dont 2w go 4w