1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Snowman breaking hitch

Discussion in 'SnowMan SnowPlows' started by gusdust, Mar 14, 2008.

1. gusdust

gusdust Senior Member

W'eve got three of these snowman rear pull plows. Hated them at first, but have grown to like them with one exception. All three mount in the single reciever. One of our accounts has short uneven drives. Lots of them. We get hung up a lot. As you pull out of the drive, rear truck wheels go down in the gutter, fronts are climbing the crown of the street. Unless you creep very slow, have the window open so you can listen, watch, dink with the controller constantly,hung up. Then you have to rock back and forth, rear wheels spin, etc. Have let the down pressure off on the motor. We have ruined one hitch. Welded another. Class V Putnam was the last one. Got some ideas?

2. Lbilawncare

Lbilawncare Senior Member

Maybe try loosening the springs ( or removing 2 of them) so it will trip easier. I snapped the solid 2" steel hitch insert last year going down a steep driveway, the replacement has a sleeve welded around it for support.

3. gusdust

gusdust Senior Member

I have, but will do them some more. I can trip it part of the way by hand when it's raised. I e mailed tech at snowman and they replied that they are working on it. Hoping for a chance to use it once more this season. Have you had any probs since you backed off your springs? Thanks. Gus

4. gusdust

gusdust Senior Member

You snapped the hitch on the truck, or the 2" solid insert on the plow? We've bent the 2" solid on all three. At first figured it was operator error, but all three?

5. Lbilawncare

Lbilawncare Senior Member

It was the 2" insert on the plow. I haven't loosened my springs, the driveway I broke it on was a one time deal for my friends sister, the drive is so steep I won't go back. When we first bought the plows we snapped the hitches off, then did as you did and bought the heavier class IV or V. I don't know how anyone doing driveways could not have a Snowman plow, the've made my life a lot easier.

6. Jerre Heyer

Jerre Heyer Senior Member

What is the mounting height to the bottom of the hitch? Had the problem with some Cheve /GMC's here as they were in the 13-14" range. Took the plow off and they were dang near bottoming out without the plow on. Air bags in the rear of the truck to lift the thing a little did the trick.

J

7. gusdust

gusdust Senior Member

19" on one truck, 20 on the other. Both superduties, one with 9-2 poly V , one with 8'? Western. Maybe 400lbs. of bagged salt in the back. The rearends are stiff. One has airbags. Love the snowmen for driveways, and sometimes in tight commercial lots. Around here they don't think about the plowboys when they design parking lots. Lots of "curb appeal" if you know what I mean.

8. elite1msmith

elite1msmith 2000 Club Member
    from chicago

i dont know if this helps. , but i have a daniels, and had some problems getting hung up on tricky spots like that, never damaged any thing, but did get hung up ...which was coorected by raising the rear plow....

the controller on the daniels is noting more than a DPDT toggle switch... one side of the switch turns on the raise or lower valves.... the other side, turns on the pump solidnoid.... so i put a switch so i could turn the pump off, but operate the valves.... but still lower the plow, or Releive pressure by raising it... helped alot, also made hooking up way...way ...way faster

It involes relays and a toogle switch , but it works.... the switch, activates a relay, that then stays constently on..... this DPDT relay.... one for each valve....... with both valves fully open the plow will follow the ground contour of the surface with no down pressure..... when you hit the raise switch " lowering valve closes, the raise valve stays open and the pump runs...thus raising the plow

Last edited: Jul 16, 2008
  9. gusdust

gusdust Senior Member

Thanks. When you say it was corrected by raising the plow, do you mean re-adjusting the mounting position of the frame? Or by using the up toggle? I am kind of hydraulic/electric challenged but I printed your post and will take it to one who knows these things. Thanks again. Gus

10. elite1msmith

elite1msmith 2000 Club Member
    from chicago

It was corrected by toggleing the switch up.... as you know this is hard to do at a quick speed

My daniels plow works like this..... When you hit the switch down.... an electrical valve opens..... and the pump turns on .... fluid pressure pushes down on the plow , to the point that it raises the truck up an inch or two... this is down pressure.... When u release the toggle switch the valve closes, and the pump turns off... this locks the plow down and does not allow for up and down travel of the blade - -- this is great for scraping snow, but hard if ur on uneven ground...

I added a switch that basicly keeps that valve open..... the pumo is still off, but it allows fluid to flow in/out of the valve, and the plow will go up and down, and follow the surface of the ground, with out the added down force

I used 3 relays and a DPDT toggle switch to do it, and i might be able to forward a wiring diagram on how to do it

again note, that i dont own a snowman rear plow, but this helped me with mine,... But i have never come close to bending a hitch...we just would get hung up , and this was the correction for that

Last edited: Jul 19, 2008
  11. gusdust

gusdust Senior Member

I think I get it now. Since my last post I e mailed Snowman tech again. They replied back that "we have 40 of them and they get hung up" or something along those lines. They are going to figure it out and supply the parts no charge. So hopefully before next season...... I'll keep you posted and if i need the wiring diagram, i'll let you know. thanks again. Gus.

12. ProSeasons

ProSeasons Senior Member

In the SnowMan video there is a neat bed mounted hitch on the Dodge 1500. Anybody got any info on that?

I e-mailed SnowMan, but I'd like to see some specs, pictures. My SnowMan ripped my hitch in half.

13. gusdust

gusdust Senior Member

Don't know about the bed mount, but Ed from snowman cured my broken/bent hitch problem with an add on valve that only allows so much pressure. Works great. Gus

14. ProSeasons

ProSeasons Senior Member

This is actually ingenious, but.....

...I like downpressure, it's one of the reasons I bought the SnowMan. Are you saying you never use downpressure, or that it's not needed to do most plowing, and thus easier on the hitch. Optional downpressure, so to speak? Can I also accomplish this with a kill switch for the pump only, leaving the valves to open and close with the original up down switch?

Last edited: Dec 29, 2008
  15. PTSolutions

PTSolutions PlowSite.com Addict

he basically added "float" mode to his pull plow. hes got the best of both worlds, down pressure for scraping and the float mode for pitched driveways with crowned streets.

this was the one thing that i was unsure about before i purchased one of these plows. i had asked about this and everyone just told me to keep an eye out and raise the plow as the rear of the truck would want to go down the drive.

it would be nice if Snowman added this feature, like hold the lower button down for 3 seconds would engage float mode, like all the other front plow manufacturers.

16. Welderguy24

Welderguy24 Member

Just wondering if anyone has found a way to make a snowman pull plow work in a "float" position?

i have one and haven't broke anything yet (knock on wood) put would like to be able to use a float function

17. Jerre Heyer

They pretty much explained it above but the simple way to do it is to tap into the wiring harness and add a SPST switch to the drop wire ( white on most of them ) and lift wire ( green on most ) and powering it from the harness power. When this switch is triggered it opens the valves and allows the blade to float up and down. You may want to include a relay instead of just a switch. By wiring the relay to trigger when you hit the switch it can cancel when you hit any function on the regular control box.

18. ProSeasons

ProSeasons Senior Member

Thanks Jerre.

19. Jerre Heyer

Just got some factory Snowman wiring in to make some changes for them. The Float function should become a factory standard shortly. Due to the variety of wiring that's been used with them I explained it in general terms above.

Jerre

20. Raconteur

Raconteur Senior Member
    from MA

Doesnt your SC trip when when put into a bind position? . Mines does .