1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

'Snowmageddon' Pittsburgh's BLIZZARD over 30"

Discussion in 'Storm Pictures' started by deere615, Feb 13, 2010.

1. deere615

deere615 2000 Club Member

Well I decided this was worthy to start another thread away from my normal picture thread. We got hammered with over 30" of snow the last 7days. First storm dump almost 2' in less than 24hrs. Then we got another 6-8" this wendsday Feb. 10th. So I have litterally been plowing snow for 7days only stopping to sleep/eat. Plowed 32hrs straight friday-saturday and wasnt even tired but had to come home cause I got stuck twice and had to keep calling my dad(who was tired and wanted to sleep), so I slept for 6hrs then went out for another 19 and have basically been working like that since.

I have had both trucks working(dad driving white one) and was also able to pick up another account or 2 plus I did dozens and dozens of extra driveways because some guys couldnt keep up as Pittsburgh is not used to this kind of snow.

We were in a state of emergency for a long time. Many times we had to plow alot of roads just to get to accounts and I literally plowed every road in my whole nieghborhood multiple times. All my equipment has took a heck of a beating but everything is still running strong.wesport

This was friday feb 5th at about 3pm It started snowing about 12pm that day.
    begining our drive.JPG
    Then this was about an hour and a half later-little blurry but almost 2inches there I did a few places then stopped to meet parents for dinner
    truck at mall at begining of storm.jpg
    And then the real plowing began...
    road snow covered.JPG
    truck stacking 1.JPG
    truck studio10.JPG

begining our drive.JPG

truck at mall at begining of storm.jpg

road snow covered.JPG

truck stacking 1.JPG

truck studio10.JPG

2. deere615

These first 2 pictures of the gas station I do basically expalin alot. Everything in our city shut down!-Notice all the idiots that left cars in the lot:dizzy:
    7-11 closed.JPG
    7-11 open 24hrs closed.JPG
    WHITEOUT
    blizzard white out.JPG
    These were at my sidewalk locations-probably about 3-4am
    cars covered at uncle pauls.JPG
    steps buried uncle pauls.JPG

7-11 closed.JPG

7-11 open 24hrs closed.JPG

blizzard white out.JPG

cars covered at uncle pauls.JPG

steps buried uncle pauls.JPG

3. deere615

Friday night/Saturday Morning was probably one of the coolest craziest nights ever. I never saw anything like it. So many cars stuck, jack knifed 18wheelers, trees down, power lines down, and lights out.
    One point I had to plowed right through a tree to get to accounts as every other way was blocked. Another point I backed up in reverse a mile down a main interstate LMAO. And another road I drove down which is a 4lane road with tons of business and always people around was completely dark(not even a stop light on) and there was not a soul in sight, it was kinda eery...
    greentree completly snow cover powerlines-cars.JPG
    greentree trees fallen over.JPG
    power line down in greentree.JPG
    trees at Liberty pitt.JPG
    And this one was on another highway cop stopped to help a stranded car and started yelling at the truck driver for tailgate when he wasn't even close kinda felt bad for the truck driver...:help:
    sop on I-79.JPG
    Thats all for now I got a bunch more I will get up eventually
    -Brad

greentree completly snow cover powerlines-cars.JPG

greentree trees fallen over.JPG

power line down in greentree.JPG

trees at Liberty pitt.JPG

sop on I-79.JPG

Last edited: Feb 13, 2010
  4. Fatality

Fatality Senior Member

awesome pictures! The pictures of the steps with all the snow on the railings is amazing!

Last edited: Feb 13, 2010
  5. thesnowman269

thesnowman269 Senior Member

Nice! I love storms like that wish we would get one like that here, those are my favorite.

6. G.M.Landscaping

G.M.Landscaping Senior Member

So much for your 4-6" call. LOL. It sure has been a crazy week for both of us. Glad you made out ok with nothing major going wrong. I'll be updating my thread or starting a new one also soon.

It was going good for me the first 5 days, until the plow broke. Got it fixed and kept going.

Came home tonight and found my 10x14 metal shed's roof caved in. Guess that's tommorow's project.

I wish I had taken more pics but I kept forgetting.

7. EGLC

EGLC PlowSite.com Addict

Brad do you go out alone??

8. KL&M Snow Div.

KL&M Snow Div. PlowSite.com Addict

Awesome pictures. That looks like a heck of a storm lol.

9. f250man

f250man PlowSite Veteran

Nice pics cant wait to see somemore

10. ProEnterprises

ProEnterprises Senior Member
    from CT

Great shots boss. Thanks for sharing those with us.

11. deere615

Thanks, yeah we were kinda amazed also as we had cleared 6inches off those just 6hrs earlier
    I loved it also just stressful thats all, nights were easy but was the sun came up the phone didnt stop ringing
    lol yeah... Good you got the plow fixed fast,
    Yeah since I knew it was going to be a big storm I had my camera and camcorder with me the whole time, but there are many pictures I wish I would have taken that I didnt, one when I was pushing an 18wheeler out and so many driveways I did after the storm that I never thought my truck would be capable of!
    This storm I had my dad in the other truck plowing lots with me most of the time. He would plow some at night then I would send him home to catch some:sleeping: and I just kept plowing through the days.One day I did have a buddy with me to shovel in my truck and my dad in the white truck-so 3 guys
    Otherwise on normal small storms I usually go out by myself in the blue truck.
    Yeah it was, and we are still getting a little snow each day-usally 1/2inch to 2inches so its been non stopprsport

thanks
    Thanks not a problem:salute:

12. EGLC

EGLC PlowSite.com Addict

oh that must suck but you must pull in some good $ that way....I always take 2 guys with me and pay them well but the company + extra help is really worth it.

13. G.M.Landscaping

The news just said another 3-6" for mon -tuesday. I'm still getting calls from the storm. Just did another 2 in Oakland.

14. deere615

not really that bad if I dont need the help I am not gunna bring them along I am not gunna lie though when my dad was in the other truck we had radios and it was real entertaining and with got stuff done real fast -but on our normal 1-3" storms I can usually handle everything by myself pretty quickly anyways
    I have been hearing all different numbers for tomorrow:confused: I will take whatever comes, today and yesterday I have been trying to get caught up on the loads of paper work I got from the storm. had a few calls one was for a hilly drive(going up with a retaining wall on both sides:dizzy:) that hadnt been plowed and another was for snow hauling in homestead (dont go that far away) and I turned them both down.

15. deere615

More pictures:
    this is what the trucks look like after plowing roads:dizzy:
    truck front end covered from plowing roads.JPG
    Back of truck covered(always saw pics on here of trucks covered in the back like this but this was the first it happend to mine)
    back of truck covered in snow ITS.JPG
    This makes me feel like alaska boss! this is our blazer buried
    blazer buried.JPG
    Deer I caught running across the main road-kinda hard to see as it tookme a couple seconds to pull out the camera
    deer running through kennedy.JPG
    Lots of snow:bluebounc
    piles studio by dumpster.JPG

truck front end covered from plowing roads.JPG

back of truck covered in snow ITS.JPG

blazer buried.JPG

deer running through kennedy.JPG

piles studio by dumpster.JPG

16. deere615

Every get those customers that like to starte at you while you plow this one was kinda wierd lmao (someone built it right at the front entrance of one of my commercials
    ITS snowman 2.JPG
    Get your milk:help:
    milk at state minimum price.JPG
    Piles
    Piles mcdonalds 1.JPG
    Atv pushing walks
    quad pushing behind 12unit.jpg
    cleared out real good so they could get the dumpsters out
    12unit dumpsters clear.jpg

ITS snowman 2.JPG

milk at state minimum price.JPG

Piles mcdonalds 1.JPG

quad pushing behind 12unit.jpg

12unit dumpsters clear.jpg

17. G.M.Landscaping

Do you use the 2500 and a trailer to get the quad around?

18. cod8825

cod8825 Member

Holy crude those were some awesome pictures. I will be the first and maybe only one to say it I would not want 30" We had 15" in and around KC on Dec 24 through Christmas and it just about buried everybody here. If we had gotten a couple more inches I think the city would have shut down so many people getting stuck trying to get to grandma's.

Keep up the good work
    Matt

19. Alaska Boss

Alaska Boss PlowSite.com Addict
    from Alaska

Haha,... great pictures! I've been watching & listening to all the reports of this "storm of the century" that hit the east coast lately,... how everything is shut down,... thousands upon thousands of people without heat, lights, etc,.... plow guys "storm chasing & state jumping" to help & join the battle, etc,... and it's not like I'm making light of it all.... but it does make me chuckle at how vulnerable and programed people's lives are in big city areas,... and how something like snow can literally stop life,.... forget about nuclear bombs,... lol. Most winters, Valdez, Alaska gets 30-40 feet of snow dumped on it every season,... and nothing is ever shut down,... 2-3 feet in a single dump overnight doesn't even make people yawn,... but, of course, they're prepared & able to deal with it. Even last month, when over 7 feet fell in less than 3 days, schools stayed open,.. everything.

But when I look at your pics, and those of others,... I have to say that I'm so glad that I plow where I do,... because 2-3 feet of snow covering everything in an area where every square foot of real estate has been constructed somehow,... with concrete, asphalt, curbs, manhole covers, manicured lawns, etc etc etc,... traffic everywhere, no where to put snow,.... a million & one things to hit or damage,... plowing snow in areas like that would drive me crazy,... and my hat is off to you guys that have to put up with all that !! But for me,... I'll take -42° in the pitch dark all alone at night in rural Alaska any day,... and maybe I'm the crazy one!! Again,.. great pictures of what you're doing! :waving:

P.S. I have had weird customers staring at me too while plowing,... :rolleyes:

cb 14 (Custom).JPG

20. deere615

No Use 4 ramps 2 on each side and haul it with the 2500hd. One set of ramps is normally fine but 2 make it easier with the plow on and less steep of an angle
    Thanks! I dont mind alot of snow like I mentioned before it just fell way too fast almost all in one night. give me 2-4 every couple nights:salute:
    Lmao thats a funny picture! Yes thats the problem around here is no one knew what to do-from regular plow companies to municipalites know one has the man power or machines to get the job done fast enough.

Personally I love where I plow I love the little 1-4" storms easy on equipment and real easy to make money as everyone here always expects everything to be perfectly clean bare pavement.