1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Snowless 2011-2012.

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by lawn king, Feb 6, 2012.

1. lawn king

lawn king PlowSite.com Addict

This looks to be an almost snowless season for the most part. Lots of folks think its great, but the big picture is very bad! Municipal employees got little or no overtime, welding shops and equipment dealers were slow, contractors were all slow, fuel sales were down. This all adds up to lots of people not spending money! Landscapers all counting on snow revenues to buy new equipment this spring will not be buying anything. The slow spring snow melt to recharge aquifers is non existant, not to mention grass was exposed to dessication all winter! No matter how you slice it, this season was a disaster!

2. RepoMan1968

RepoMan1968 Senior Member

5 healthy weeks left . the hundred day forecast claims normal temps and precipspayup

3. northernsweeper

northernsweeper Senior Member

I hear ya. I have lived in this state my whole life, and never remember a winter like this.

4. sven1277

sven1277 Senior Member

The money doesn't go away just because there isn't any snow. It just gets used somewhere else. Municipalities will pave more roads, maybe gas prices will drop, maybe not. Last year was really busy, this year averages it out to normal. The life of a plow guy. Feast or famine

5. IMAGE

IMAGE Sponsor

I know construction companies that barely slowed down. Lack of snow and mild temps kept more of their guys off unemployment this winter. Money is still spent, lack of snow won't hurt the economy overall.

6. RepoMan1968

RepoMan1968 Senior Member

ever notice snow is a dirty word to news anchors and some meteorologists. always a "whew, it's cold out there today " and "wowa , we just missed that storm , thank God "
    ITS WINTER HERE PEOPLE, HELLO
    then you get the very observant when it begins to fall , " it's slippery out there " :realmad:

7. My bowtie

My bowtie Senior Member

May not have plowed yet this season, but i've done many outdoor projects for my clients this winter because of the mild weather. Clients didnt spend the money on plowing, and therefor had money to spend elsewhere. I made sure I was there to sell them on the ideas i had.

8. Luis@ NJ

Luis@ NJ Member

we've had two small plow events. Last year was a dream year. This year ehhhh :help: :help::cry::dizzy:

9. gunsworth

gunsworth Senior Member

I am hoping this put a lot of hillrods out of business. I didnt make a ton this year but bills all got paid and my seasonal contracts bought me another used truck and new VXT that will still be nice and shiney next year. I am putting my plows in storage this week and getting my spring equipment ready, doubt we will push again here in SE MI. Aside from last year, Feb is usually a light month for us, just want a few more salts

10. KSikkema

KSikkema Senior Member

In our town here we have a Viking Cives plant and one of our customers works there. According to him, in the eleven years he's been there they've never been this busy. They are building 30 trucks for some companies and already have 7/8 of last years sales on the books already. So for them it's been a good year.

11. Plowtoy

Plowtoy Senior Member

I wouldn't throw in the towel just yet. It ain't over till the fat lady (mother nature) sings as the saying goes. I think we will be blasted in Feb and march this year, and I have a feeling we could be plowing during spring break. I'm no weather expert but just a feeling

12. Brian Young

Brian Young PlowSite Veteran

I would love to have a late Feb. and March snowzilla but at this point I'll be happy to have enough to unload the 30 tons of salt I have store on a site. Our 14 day forecast is nothing but temps. in the 30's and 40's and sunny with 10-20% chances of snow/rain.

13. Italiano67

Italiano67 Senior Member

Blasted in February? The forecast looks dry ay least until the 15th with no big storms brewing. It will take more than some flurries to classify being blasted.

14. Ramairfreak98ss

Ramairfreak98ss PlowSite.com Addict

Yeah havnt had a coat on all winter in jersey.. i always remembered getting ice or sleet or some weird precip even in low snow total years... and low for us is say 5-12", average long term they say is about 17"? Last few years were SO much higher than that so going from a few feet each year to 2" is horrible.

Im panicking already over what to do with all our salt, havnt paid for all of it yet and we still have probably 100 tons left on sites. Usually we'd use all this in the first major storm and be ordering more. I can only store maybe 15-20 tons max and i hate to even have to store/haul that until the next season. we only ordered 125 tons so far and so im guessing 100+ tons is left easy, salted the crap out of everything in that 2" storm, presalt, couple during and most sites twice after and now cant get rid of what we are usually done with around the first week of january. At this rate it will sit on sites until we scoop it up and who the @%# knows where we'll put it all.

I've already talked to a couple local larger companies if they'd be willing to buy it dirt cheap in the spring... they're capable of carrying over hundreds of tons and they dont even want it!

15. Plowtoy

Plowtoy Senior Member

Yup, all it takes around here is a nice west to north west wind, a little moisture in the atmosphere and wa-la, a nice lake effect storm.
    You know, last weekend, the weather guessers were predicting an inch or two for us Sunday morning, well we got 8-10 in 4-5 hrs. I think theres a still storm or two still out there. I'm not giving up yet

16. diesellandscape

diesellandscape Member

I personally think that the winter is over... maybe 3 or 4 more saltings and at most 2 plowings... I hoping to use up most of the salt that we have on sites, id hate to store more than 50tons over the summer. People are thinking towards spring now, ive gotten 5 wall calls today alone. My seasonals helped out allot this year but my per push is only @ 1/3 of what we were expecting. Theres always next year!

17. Oshkosh

Oshkosh PlowSite.com Addict

Things are pretty lean around the state yard...Not many guys jumping up and down about this season or economy in general.

18. peteo1

peteo1 PlowSite.com Addict

Bring on 65* and sun. Might as well start grading and paving. With the lack of winter this year I'm already getting antsy to go back to work. Done a few side jobs since the weather has been nice so that is helping offset our pitiful snow totals. What do you guys want to vet its in the 90's by July this year? Usually we don't hit that till August give or take a week. I'm thinking hot & dry summer followed up by a heavy winter. Seems to be the way it goes these days.

19. DAFFMOBILEWASH

DAFFMOBILEWASH PlowSite.com Addict

Ready for anything untill April 17/2012..... Till then anything is fair game to Ol Mother nature. We have had a whopping 6.8" this season, good thing for all those coating events. Got to love chemicial plowing!!!