1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

snowfoil or not??

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by Bowtieguy, Nov 11, 2008.

1. Bowtieguy

Bowtieguy Member
    from CT

I have a different truck this year and it has an older style Fisher. The plow has the metal snow foil on it. I have never used a foil before and i do avg size residential drives (25'-100' long) But also i am doing sub work on large commercial lots. Should i remove the foil or keep it on? I am thinking it will be a pain for residentials,but helpful on the commercial end of it. Just want some opnions.
    Thx!

2. YardMedic

YardMedic PlowSite.com Addict

Why would it be a pain for residentials? I don't know if it's worth the purchase price, but if it's already there then use it.

3. FordFisherman

FordFisherman PlowSite.com Addict
    from 06611

I had one on my 97 f250 and removed it- Got in the way when trying to pull up close to garage doors to backblade. Unless you do a lot of commercial with long runs, its not wrth the trade off. Try replacing it with a rubber flap and selling the foil to offset cost. Look on ebay; thought there was a guy selling them pre-cut. Good luck

4. Bowtieguy

Bowtieguy Member
    from CT

My thought exactly on clearance/visibility when backblading drives. I was thinking about keeping it on cause i know it will help with the commercial lots. And yes it came with it and it's in good shape too. The rubber flap has been a thought too....

5. hydro_37

hydro_37 PlowSite Veteran
    from iowa

Just get some old conveyor belt and cut it to fit. It hangs straight down so its not in the way and it is Cheap.

6. Ford445

Ford445 Senior Member
    from Vermont

I always seemed to have a harder time throwing snow up and over banks with a metal snow foil. I am a big advicate for a rubber one though. I think the rubber helps keep some of it off your windshield, while having enough flexibility to allow you to "throw" snow.

JMO

:salute:

7. Bowtieguy

Bowtieguy Member
    from CT

I could see stacking being a problem. Possibly getting hung up coming off a pile. I don't really need that at 2am! I do know where i could get some urethane free or cheap. I am thinking i should look more into the rubber flap. I am starting to like that idea.:D

8. Flipper

Flipper PlowSite.com Addict
    from CT

I have them on every straight blade truck. We hang a rubber flap off them.

Clearance? They hang 3-4" in front of the cutting edge. Markers bolt to the front corners. Never had a problem getting close to garage doors.

Stacking? Haven't gotten a truck hung up yet, no difference on stacking height either. Occassionally some snow will spill onto the top of the foil but it shakes off by moving the plow.

If you are doing one large lot or roads (we do a lot) it will pay for itself in one storm. Keeps snow off the windshield and really propels it for windrowing.

9. ford550

ford550 Senior Member

We have 5 fisher's, they all have rubber flaps. Very nice and no risk of damage when pulling up to garage doors or anything else to backdrag, that's why we did it. Snow foil is good for plowing municipal roads, everything is in a straight line. Go Rubber, all the way.

10. stroker79

stroker79 2000 Club Member

Said perfectly!

11. Grn Mtn

Grn Mtn PlowSite.com Addict

well put flipper :bluebounc

the foil is the one thing i kept wishing i had, it would have allowed me to increase my speed in my 2acre lot, probably would have gotten down to 22-25 minutes from the 33-37 i did it with the prowings and the 47-55 with just the straight blade.

the prowings stick forward about as far as a foil but you can't see them like you would with the foil, so i wouldn't worry about the garage door thing.

12. mercer_me

mercer_me PlowSite Fanatic

I agree snofoils make all the snow go to one side old conveyor belt will work great.

13. Bowtieguy

Bowtieguy Member
    from CT

Thanks for all the opnions guys! I think i will give the existing foil a try. I can always change it later if i want. All i need is some snow now!
    Thx again!