1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Snowfighter

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by Pelican, Aug 25, 2002.

1. Pelican

Pelican 2000 Club Member

Some of you have figured out from my posts that I've been planning on a new truck this season. Last week I picked up my "Snowfighter" from Tarrant Manufacturing. I bought my own cab & chassis and took it to them to be fitted with their stainless steel combination sander/dump body. They also fitted a Viking Snow King polyurethane plow.

The truck is an '02 Ford F-550 XLT with the Powerstroke Diesel and 6 speed transmission. Other goodies are plow prep, towing package and limited slip rear.

I also got a couple options from Tarrant, the roll up tarp and the top screens for the sander. Tarrant was great to work with and customized my truck to my specs as far as paint color and interior layout goes. They also built my hitch plate to my specs and a couple other minor mods to the dump body.

Here it is ready for snow:

truck 8h.jpg

2. Pelican

Pelican 2000 Club Member

The top screens slide over one another when the side body is tipped.

truck 8k.jpg

3. Pelican

Pelican 2000 Club Member

Here the adjustable flow gate allows sand to drop on the mid-mounted spinner via a driver's side conveyor.

truck 8l.jpg

4. Pelican

Pelican 2000 Club Member

The driver's side conveyor chain built into the dump floor. Note the hinged plate folded up on the side wall

truck 8lmjpg.jpg

5. Pelican

Pelican 2000 Club Member

Hinged plate lowered over conveyor for materials hauling

truck 8njpg.jpg

6. Pelican

Pelican 2000 Club Member

Truck in "summer" trim. Screens & spinner removed, plow off.

truck 8ojpg.jpg

7. 99SDPSD

99SDPSD Senior Member

what does it weigh? looks good.

8. Pelican

Pelican 2000 Club Member

3/4 view

truck 8pjpg.jpg

9. Pelican

Pelican 2000 Club Member

Hydraulic controls & switch box for accessories

Levers 1 & 2, plow controls, lever 3, body up, lever 4, side dump up, spinner & conveyor controls on floor. One switch on the box activates the A/C type clutch on the underhood hydraulic pump, the rest are for accessory lighting

truck 8s.jpg

Last edited: Aug 25, 2002
  10. snow

snow PlowSite.com Veteran

WOW! That is one kick ass truck. Good luck with your new truck Pelican, it looks great.

One day i'd like to have a truck like that.

Did i see strobes inside the bed below the cab shield?

Congradulations!

Bryan

11. Pelican

Pelican 2000 Club Member

Underside view. Note how sturdy the framework is.

truck 8t.jpg

12. Pelican

Pelican 2000 Club Member

Front mounted hoist cylinder like the "big guys"

truck 8u.jpg

13. Tim1075

Tim1075 Senior Member

WOW is about all i can say. beautiful truck

14. Pelican

Pelican 2000 Club Member

Side dump mechanism, hydraulic tank, valves on top of tank

truck 8v.jpg

15. Pelican

Pelican 2000 Club Member

Front with plow off. Plate at the center of the grill holds 3 hydro quick connects, unobtrusive sub frame remains

truck 8w.jpg

16. Chuck Smith

Chuck Smith 2000 Club Member
    from NJ

I have to wipe the drool off my keyboard now.....

Nice doesn't even begin to properly describe this truck.....

~Chuck

17. snow

snow PlowSite.com Veteran

Steve-

Are you going to bring it to the plowsite bbq? :nod:

That made my day.

I better start saving.

Bryan

18. CT18fireman

CT18fireman Banned

Very nice.

Makes me think about a F550.

Can I request a few pics of the plow? Shots of the blade, hookup, frame etc. As well as a look at the belt drive pump? Interested in where they cram the pump into the cramped engine bay.

You can just e-mail them if you do not want to post.

19. Pelican

Pelican 2000 Club Member

Viking 9' plow. Poly moldboard, bottom trip edge utilizing a slab of Polyurethane for the hinge. The angle cylinders have 2" pistons!

After practicing a few times, the plow goes on and off in less than 5 minutes, with little physical effort. You pull the top pin to the lift cylinder, rotate it upside down, slip a pad over the end and repin it, the cylinder becomes the parking jack. Pretty slick operation.

truck 8x.jpg

20. Pelican

Pelican 2000 Club Member

99, the weight is one area where I'm disappointed. It came in about 1500 lbs over what we had calculated it to be, tare weight is 11,500 without the screens and plow. I can still only carry 3 yards of material legally.

Bryan, those are the new Whelen LEDs, they're in the front corners of the cab protector, one on the back of the cab protector,and one on each rear side corner for backing into the street and intersections.

CtFireman, I thought I had a photo of the pump, but must have filled up the camera. I'll get one tomorrow. There's a new plate that mounts both the alternator and pump, the pump is between the alternator and air box, driven by dual v belts with a spring idler for tension. It is tight, but looks like it belongs. Let me know what other views you'd like, I'll try to get them if the light holds tomorrow.

Last edited: Aug 25, 2002