1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

SnowEx vee owners

Discussion in 'Ice Management' started by vanwhyjr, Jan 5, 2009.

1. vanwhyjr

vanwhyjr Senior Member

I have an older 6000 that I have been using for about 5 years now. It works ok for what I do.
    Anyhow,
    I was wondering if anyone has come up with or thought about a door or cover or something to keep the material in the box in between customers. If I put nice, dry, clean salt in mine it runs right out the back as fast as I put it in.

I think I'm gonna make some kind of slider door to block the whole at the chute. I think I can make it to adjust for different opening sizes.
    any ideas??

Happy New Year!!
    Frank

2. elite1msmith

elite1msmith 2000 Club Member
    from chicago

do u have baffels installed?

3. vanwhyjr

vanwhyjr Senior Member

I took the one for sand out. Every once and awhile I get some wet stuff and it don't flow for crap. So instead of fighting with it I took that baffle out.

4. elite1msmith

elite1msmith 2000 Club Member
    from chicago

yeah i had that problem to

i believe alot of ppl modified the baffle.... and found a happy point between flow and watching it spill on the ground

5. vanwhyjr

vanwhyjr Senior Member

Yeah,

Lately I have been stufing an old towel up in there to stop it from coming out when I load it.

I just got some new bulk and it's alot smaller that the old stuff I was using. It's mixed with calcium cloride I think (real bright green).
    I just know thats gonna flow like sh*t through a goose!

I have a piece of sheetmetal to bring home tonight to see if I can come up with a door or something.

6. Don Rauch

Don Rauch Junior Member

snow x 8000

i put a towel up the spinner auger shoot and pull out at jobsite .
    Also if you ever had something lodge in the auger its a pain to move the salt out. I made a verticle baffle about 1 foot from back and i can reach down thier to get it unclogged also it about 1 foot from bottom to let salt flow under
    don

100_0628.jpg

7. vanwhyjr

vanwhyjr Senior Member

Yeah, I've had to shovel all the salt out once or twice to clear that auger. That sucks, big time.

It's pretty sad that we have to pay all that money for something like that and still need to modify it.

The new stuff I got ended up not flowing as easily as I thought. It worked out pretty good. I went through alot of material this storm because it was all ice, though.

8. Don Rauch

Don Rauch Junior Member

yep improvements

van we haven't even bladed yet alot of salting i pulled the baffle up so i get all the flow depending on what the salt is like .i just looked at the new ones like the conveyor in them had mine 6 years put boards on to haul 2.5 tons
    don

plow truck100_0627.jpg

9. vanwhyjr

vanwhyjr Senior Member

Huh, it looked like there was a lot of stuff going though out there recently. I have been out and had to plow at least 4 storms now and salted atleast half a dozen time already. The develpolement that I have a contract with(and live in) wants the hills and intersections salted for even a dusting!! I have gone through about 15 ton of material so far this year.

I wish I could put sides on my box like that. I wouldn't be able to load it though. My Kubota don't lift that high. It's ok though, I think salt is a little like money the more you have the more you use!!
    It's the last year of my contract and I don't think I'm going to try to renew it. I'll probably be selling the box at the end of the season.

I just looked at Accuweather and they are calling for 3-6 inches for Sat. I guess i'm not going to my kids wrestling tournament.

10. mnconst

mnconst Member
    from indiana

What a waste of money. I bought a sx 8000 about 6 years ago now we run western ice breakers love them

11. Don Rauch

Don Rauch Junior Member

are you running the stainless steel ones im looking at the airflows stainless those run about $4500 plus tax just cant decide pro cons of electric or gas on my next one want to haul 2 ton .
    don

12. Turbodiesel

Turbodiesel Senior Member

I find that salt works faster and stays put when moist and wet . You shouldnt be losing anything until you activate that auger / spinner .You have a vibrator, correct?

13. vanwhyjr

vanwhyjr Senior Member

Yeah, I have the older one with two vibarators. I took the one baffle plate out thats why it runs out so much. I stuff a towel up in the opening until I am ready to throw salt then it's good.

14. Turbodiesel

Turbodiesel Senior Member

Towels and augers are severe enemies