1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

SnowEx V Box or Tailgate replacement

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by Four Seasons, Nov 23, 2013.

1. Four Seasons

Four Seasons Senior Member

I cant decide on what type of sander to get. I have a 3/4 ton with a flatbed dump with sides. I can get a snow ex 8500 electric for $5900. Or a Hiniker stainless v box electric for $4400. Or a tailgate for 3-4k. Either one of the insert style tailgate ones or a smaller one intended for a 1 ton.
  2. jbell36

jbell36 Senior Member
    from Kansas

just to clarify, is your "dump" an actual dump body, as in a mason dump, or a simple flatbed with sides?
  3. Four Seasons

simple flatbed, for a tailgate spreader I would weld on tailgate posts
  4. jbell36

jbell36 Senior Member
    from Kansas

pretty much where i was getting at…

ok if it was me i would go that route for sure…for what it's worth an all electric tailgate replacement spreader is all i would like to have on 2 separate trucks, here's why:

more capacity
    doesn't block rear view (if at all) as much as a V box
    easier to load salt
    easier to unload salt (especially if it breaks down, trust me, you do not want to shovel out 2 yards of salt)
    spreader itself is lighter therefore much easier to install/uninstall (no tractor/loader needed) and it takes up much less storage room
    all electric, no need to bring along extra fuel
    doesn't need to "start", it's just ready to go
    much quieter

this is just my opinion, i'm a little biased because we have been let down by our V box one too many times, couldn't be more frustrated than when you have a small window of time to salt and you simply can't
    Last edited: Nov 23, 2013
  5. jbell36

jbell36 Senior Member
    from Kansas

we also have a simple flatbed that we are looking to put a hoist under and fabricate posts for a TGR spreader to attach to…if it goes as well as anticipated then we will hopefully have two trucks like that in the future and completely do away with V boxes in general
  6. Four Seasons

thanks. I was also leaning toward the tailgate. no one around here uses them though. Even everyone with regular 1 ton mason dumps run v boxes. Im not sure about the SRW stability while trying to run with the body up half way while sanding with a yard of sand in there. Is it difficult to keep a consistent flow going on a mile long road with the tailgate style?
  7. TPCLandscaping

TPCLandscaping Senior Member

I have an 8500 and love it. With out a vibrator on your dump bed you will eventually run into issues with material sticking. Also consider how much you'll have to drive around with your bed up
  8. Mr.Markus

Mr.Markus PlowSite Fanatic

I have an insert as well and I don't shovel it out when it breaks....

I conidered a tailgate but my dealer mentioned that if it went down he would need the whole truck, with the insert they were set up to work on them without the truck.