1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

snowex transmission rebuild TK-101 pic instructions

Discussion in 'SnowEx Products' started by puredreamz, Dec 26, 2015.

1. puredreamz

puredreamz Senior Member

What happen:

basically 3 bolts on transmission housing broke inside friend tried to drill it out, messed it up, then tried to weld bolts backwards on it welds didnt stick.

So basically he wants to offer me a D6107 transmission housing, the one i have was bought new last season, so i wanna use his housing and take my guts and put it in old housing.

I know snowex offers a TK-101 rebuild kit so i basically just want some pics or instructions think twice work once kind of thing

Last edited: Dec 26, 2015
  2. puredreamz

puredreamz Senior Member

no one ? where are the snowex reps ?

3. Herm Witte

Herm Witte Senior Member

Give em a break. It is Christmas weekend. Just curious, how long has your spreader been down?

4. BossPlow2010

BossPlow2010 PlowSite.com Addict

so you want to use the shaft on his trans on your housing be caused he effed up the bolts? And then put the completed unit back in his salter?

5. puredreamz

puredreamz Senior Member

Its my salter but pretty much use his housing and use the gears bearing and shaft from mine cause it was bought brand new last season

6. puredreamz

puredreamz Senior Member

No one? Any help?

7. cl733

cl733 Senior Member
    from Canada

go search it on ebay you get a shaft and a couple of bearings and a seal

8. puredreamz

puredreamz Senior Member

i know what it comes with, what order to install and how

9. cl733

cl733 Senior Member
    from Canada

we usually go a little deeper as well, we drill a hole in the gear box housing at the end of the small worm gear and pound out the small worm gear with the bearings intact , and replace them, its been a year since the last shaft bearing replacement, but if I remember correctly the bearings were simply pounded in, they bottom on the big gear, I will be doing one or two in the next week or so , so I will get refreshed, was also thinking of adding a grease nipple to gear box housing down lower and one out the top to allow a purging of contaminants, all of the ones we take apart are all full of heavy corrosion, or seized ,don't know for sure if a really light synthetic will still be too thick or not, going to try something new on at least one of them

10. cl733

cl733 Senior Member
    from Canada

I finally got around to rebuilding one we had laying around,we had the housing gutted right out so i installed two new bearings on the small worm gear shaft and tapped it into place, finished it off with the c clip and seal. so to put in the shaft.
    I first installed the bearing into the housing ,until it bottoms out, i have two of these housings on the bench and i notice that one of them has a machined pocket to bottom out on and the other has a snap ring it bottoms out on, once thats done i put the second bearing on the shaft , slightly higher than the woodruff key,or higher , just leave your self room to start the woodruff key into the gear before the bearing starts to seat.
    Install the woodruff key. place the gear that runs off the worm gear in the housing and tap the spinner shaft through the gear until it flushes out on the other side of the first installed bearing.
    I then supported the housing on the outside of the first bearing with something solid that keeps the shaft from coming any further thru the bearing while you are tapping down the second bearing.
    A piece of pipe slipped over the spinner end of the shaft , and tap down the second bearing until it bottoms out or is deep enough to put the snap ring in, slide the seal down and you are done.
    I noticed another difference between these two housing i have also, on the small worm gear on one , it has a 7/8 frost plug in the housing to allow removal of the small worm gear, on the other i had to drill a hole in the housing , on opposite end from motor to allow tapping out the worm gear, any ways thats how i installed new bearings in these units, for a pretty simple work flow.