1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Snowex Tailgate Salter Maintenance

Discussion in 'SnowEx Products' started by lawnlandscape, Nov 22, 2013.

1. lawnlandscape

lawnlandscape Senior Member

We have 2 Snowex 575 Tailgate Salters.

One of them in brand new, so moving forward I want me to make sure we are taking proper care of it.

The other one is a number of years old. I have never taken very good care of it in terms of after season cleanup EXCEPT for last year. It was completely power washed and cleaned up nice before it was put away for storage.

Funny thing is... after the only year I have really cleaned up up perfectly, I now have problems with it.

I can not get the spinner to spin... at all. If I take a hammer to it to try to spin it, I can get it to turn....

So.. Newbie question here.. I am assuming I should be greasing that spinner shaft.... right?

I do not see any grease fittings... So where are the most important parts to be greased?

What else do you do to maintain your tailgate salters...?

Thanks Guys. Thumbs Up
  2. maelawncare

maelawncare Senior Member

You have to make sure you clean under the spinner REALLY good. The bearings underneath there can catch salt and rust.

Also, that auger. You can ruin a transmission if you cant get the auger off. If I was you, right now I would take the auger off. Theres only a set screw holding it on. And then pull the transmission and motor out of the housing. Run it out of there with the auger off and see if its just the transmission. You may be able to replace just the bearings. if not, its $200 for new transmission.

The auger. If you get it working I would do this, I would go ahead and do this to your new one as well. Take the auger off and put anti-sieze on the shaft then install. Also put anti-sieze on the set screw. Gobs of it on both. This will insure that it wont rust/stick on there in the future. Metal on metal is NOT a good thing when it comes to take the off. I had one that had a bad motor, transmission was still good. Had to cut the transmission to get the auger off to remove the motor. Wound up replacing it all.
  3. lawnlandscape

lawnlandscape Senior Member

Thanks Guys. Really appreaciate it. Going to tackle this project on Tuesday.
  4. SnowGuy73

SnowGuy73 PlowSite Fanatic

Pretty common on 575 unfortunately.
  5. bill1216

bill1216 Junior Member
    from ohio

snowex 575

just picked up a decent shape snowex 575 for 150 bucks guy could not get motor to spin auger,looks like he never cleaned it up after use,so I kept lubing shaft and got it freed up,everything works but is quite rusty and I think the bearing is out in transmission shaft,are the bearings replaceable? if so where can I buy them???? trying to make it through the rest of the year before overhaul,will need to buy auger and spinner plate also if I cant get them off with torch and air hammer,thx for any help
  6. bill1216

bill1216 Junior Member
    from ohio

i have also found that pressure washing can drive salt past the seals,when you think you are doing the correct maintenance you may actually do more harm than good