1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

SnowEx Spreader Questions

Discussion in 'Ice Management' started by Zodiac, Jul 27, 2008.

1. Zodiac

Zodiac Member

I've got an older SnowEx 375 salter. I only paid $100 for the thing, it's not in horrible shape, but it's not brand new either.

I bought it from a guy I know, and I know he keeps all his equipment in really good shape, always stored the thing inside his garage and everything...

I've never actually hooked the thing to power to see if the motor even runs, he used it last winter with no problems, I just oil the cable every once in awhile while it sits in my garage.

I've looked around the internet for awhile, but motors for these things are kinda expensive, does anyone know of a good place to get a motor from?

The only reason I ask this is because he was talking about the motor seizing up when he drove for a little bit with salt in it, and just because the salt would be packed down, short of keeping it empty all the time, is there a way to take care of that?

And this type of salter has the short cable to open the hopper, is it possible to get a longer cable or some other system so I don't have to get out of the truck?
  2. elite1msmith

elite1msmith 2000 Club Member
    from chicago

i dont know the exact set up on that unit,... but it sounds to me like maybe the salt is freezing and binding up the spinner/auger? so as fare as the motor being gone.. i bet its fine... power it up and see what happens...

you could buy a longer cable.. i had a small spreader, what i did was buy an aftermarket door lock acutuator $20... worked very well, after some inital adjustments .. then i just left the spinner on and flipped a switch to open and close the gate....
  3. KGRlandscapeing

KGRlandscapeing 2000 Club Member

i bought one had it then wreckd my truck so i said well i am not putting that on the back of my new truck. so i sold it off. it had a bent spinner the guy i bought it from most of backd in to something so it would throw salt in all kinds of crazy directions. But it would throw salt.