1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

SnowEx Spreader Freeze Up? Any Tips

Discussion in 'Ice Management' started by Justinnsara, Jan 27, 2014.

1. Justinnsara

Justinnsara Junior Member

Love our Snowex auger driven spreaders, this past week was freezing up understandingly so due to temps hovering around 0*. Any tips to help avoid this besides not leaving material in Hopper. I heard Windshield washer fluid over the top of material helps? Our hoppers were freezing up within an hour and kind of like that weight back there when I'm plowing.:mechanic:

2. captshawn

captshawn Senior Member

Mine will if cover is off, but if we keep the covers on all is Ok. Windshield washer fluid does work.

3. R75419

R75419 Senior Member

x2, mine will still freeze once in a while with the cover on with a) wet salt or b) powdery snow that blows in under the tarp. Blue washer fluid does work takes about 3-4 gallons per ton depending on how froze it is.

4. Justinnsara

Justinnsara Junior Member

Top doesn't bother me as much as cold air coming up underneath of course metal auger gets cold and freezes down near the baffle.

5. WilliamOak

WilliamOak PlowSite.com Addict

Just keep the material moving. Every so often run the auger. Works for me and we've had a number of salt runs in the single digits to negative temps
    Had one load freeze up on me this year. Once is enough lol