1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

SnowEx SP9300 Help

Discussion in 'Truck & Equipment Repair' started by Angel, Oct 16, 2013.

1. Angel

Angel Junior Member

I need help trouble shooting a SP9300. I have owned the unit for 4 seasons and purchased it new. I hooked it up and tested it yesterday and the auger is not turning. The spinner started to hang up last season towards the end. It has been an open maintenance item. I do not think the spinner has any connection to the auger issue because last season the auger continued to turn even with spinner not turning. We would give the spinner a turn or 2 by hand and spray PB Blaster up onto shaft and it worked. I feel confident I can handle that problem. I am just getting into the Auger Troubleshooting flow chart in the owners manual and have several questions.

Issue: controller turns on 3 audible beeps then oL code auger does not turn
    Nothing in hopper
    No buzzing by motor or any movement by shaft out of transmission
    I do get a single click from motor area when controller is first turned on
    CB on back of controller looks good
    Electrical connections all look good no corrosion

1. I haven’t checked 100AMP CB and to be honest I’m not sure where it is located. Any ideas on where this would have been installed on an F450 diesel? And what does it look like?

2. To test the transmission the owners manual says to turn shaft by hand it should turn freely? Do they mean the actual auger? I am able to spin auger from the back by hand no tools nothing breaking loose or binding however not sure what they mean by freely. I have to grab auger with two hands and put some effort into it. Bearings are able to take grease. I am concerned with front bearing there is some corrosion on housing and transmission unit. On a scale of 1-10 with 10 being really bad I would rate it a 4-5. Manual says to check transmission with test kit. What is this test kit?

3. I haven’t checked any amps to motor yet any suggestions?

4. I am leaning toward the transmission and possible corrosion or bad bearings. I was going to pull rear bearing. The outer housing on the rear bearing looks real good with only minor surface rust. My thought process is I want to get a feel for just how much corrosion is going on inside of that bearing and use it as a guide to judge front without pulling the front one.

5. Has anyone pulled an auger assembly before and how difficult is it? Unit is in truck I think I should just be able to unbolt transmission from motor, unbolt transmission from rail, pull it forward, pull auger coupler forward and replace bearing.

6. Does anyone have a video or photos of this project I had it installed at a dealer and fear the cost of having them do it.

2. SnowEx Products

SnowEx Products Sponsor

Angel, you can contact our Customer Care department at 800-725-8377, we would be happy to assist you with this matter.

SnowEx Team
  3. Angel

Angel Junior Member

thanks, will do tomorrow
  4. dieselss

dieselss PlowSite Fanatic

1) where did the installers put it? you need to know this
    2)so the shaft turns, no binding, that's good. the trans looks bad on the outside. so its aluminum and your spreading salt what do you think is gunna happen?
    3)not sure yet ill come back to this one
    4)if the auger is turning, why are you going to tear into it? the auger is fine. I have never seem one go bad so leave it alone that's not the direction you should be going. your on the right track of the trans tho. or the motor
    5)see #4
    6)I cant put any videos up, its a family website

so to get back on it, your getting the ol code and you stated that your spinner is "starting" to hang up. well to me you need to start there. from all I remember if you have an auger or spinner going bad nothing will work.
    try to put pwr and gnd to each motor and see what happens. that usually does the trick for me.
    last,,,,,,,the 9300 controllers do like to go bad, we've had 3 go bad that were replaced under warrenty. so that's another item to ck
  5. gottaloveOT

gottaloveOT Senior Member

I know that with our 8500 sometimes if the spinner has a problem, the auger won't turn either. I have had to replace 1 spinner motor and 1 or 2 spinner transmissions. Have you tried to unplug the spinner and see if the auger turns? On my 9500 when my controller gets too hot it shuts both off. If you have an internal fault in the controller you probably wouldn't be able to tell just by looking. I have had melted connector ends on my control box it gets so hot.