1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Snowex SP=6000 any good?

Discussion in 'Ice Management' started by WOODY367, Nov 13, 2010.

1. WOODY367

WOODY367 Senior Member
    from LI, NY

Just picked up a Snowex SP-6000. used. Was wondering what people thought of it? Pros/cons. Needs a vibrator, any good source for them other then OE? OE is big bucks,

2. NLS1

NLS1 Senior Member

Try Karrier, very good quality, kinda of the benchmark for spreader vibrators.

3. Wayne Volz

Wayne Volz Senior Member

You will like it

I ran a 6000 for four years and loved it. It should be used with a vibrator. The only reason I got rid of it is because we upgraded to two 7550's.

Hope you have a great winter and get ready to make some money with your spreader.

4. Wayne Volz

Wayne Volz Senior Member

Here's a pic

Not sure what you are putting it on but if is going on this type of truck you can still get two pallets of deicing material on truck if you are not using bulk salt.

100_0160.jpg

5. WOODY367

WOODY367 Senior Member
    from LI, NY

Thanks guys, It has 1 vibrator on the bottom that is shot and looks like ther was one on the back end. Think I got a good deal on it. It needs a trans shaft that is bent. A buddy of mine is making me a new shaft as we speak. I am putting it in my 04 F250 SB.

6. WOODY367

WOODY367 Senior Member
    from LI, NY

Does anyone know what size vibrator it uses?

7. Wayne Volz

Wayne Volz Senior Member

Check out snowex web site

SnowEx is a sponsor on this site. Click their link and call and ask them if you do not know your local dealer.

8. EIB

EIB Senior Member

Wayne,

Do you have that spreader bolted in the bed?

9. WOODY367

WOODY367 Senior Member
    from LI, NY

Found out its a 200jbs, vibrator. Is it supose to have 1 or 2 vibrators?

10. EIB

EIB Senior Member

I was asking Wayne Volz about his picture he posted. Are you a Wayne also.

11. Wayne Volz

Wayne Volz Senior Member

mount

We had it on an express mount kit. That allowed us to take it in and out as necessary to use the truck when it wasn't snowing. The express mount kits are very helpful and are simple to use.

12. EIB

EIB Senior Member

Doesn't the express mount have to be bolted down?

13. Wayne Volz

Wayne Volz Senior Member

yes

the express mount kit has four bolts to bed of the truck. Then the spreader slides into the glide and has two latches on the end to hold it in.

14. EIB

EIB Senior Member

The reason I asked is I just bought a used one also with the express mount. In the instructions is says to bolt the express mount down and use straps also.

15. Wayne Volz

Wayne Volz Senior Member

do it according to the instructions

We did not use straps. However, to be on the safest side of all, please do.

I would hate for something to happen to you. It's kinda like one of the commercials that says don't try this at home. Don't try it without the straps. We drilled the latches and put quick pins through as a safety to hold the latch closed.

16. EIB

EIB Senior Member

Thanks for the info. I was going to try it with out to see how it worked. I would like to use the space in front of the spreader for a blower and shovel and with straps it makes it harder.

17. EIB

EIB Senior Member

Woody367,

didn't mean to hijack your thread, sorry.

18. WOODY367

WOODY367 Senior Member
    from LI, NY

No problem. Some good info.