1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

SnowEx SandPro vs. Meyer Mate Spreader

Discussion in 'Ice Management' started by Erlee, Jan 22, 2005.

1. Erlee

Erlee Junior Member

Looking for a light to medium duty spreader new or used; considered the Meyer Mate 9cuft. Someone said to check into the SandPro but can't tell price differences or pro's/con's of either model .

Anyone out there have experience using either/both, let me know how you like using the unit and what originally sold you on it.

2. IndySnowPlow

IndySnowPlow Senior Member
    from Indiana

I have a SnowEx 1075...great piece of equipment so far. I mix sand / salt thru it and have no problems. Some say it does not flow enough material...just slow down from 30mph to 10mph LOL..
  3. lawnmedic

lawnmedic Senior Member

Not a fan of the direct drive motor found on the Meyer. Must be very diligent about keeping plate below spinner clean of salt. Salt damages seal on top of motor allowing moisture and salt into motor housing.
  4. Erlee

Erlee Junior Member

Thanks for the reply. I think I'll look at the SnowEx product a bit closer. I still have a problem justifying the extra $$$ this unit will cost over the Meyer product, almost double the price.

BTW, you're running salt through the 1075 w/o any problems? I thought it didn't handle material that's that tight; only the 1875 has that capability they tell me.

Do you have/need a gate control installed or just a vibrator unit?
  5. truckfreak

truckfreak Junior Member

downeaster sander

have you looked at downeaster sanders yet? The 1/3 yard 2 foot hopper is a great unit
  6. IndySnowPlow

IndySnowPlow Senior Member
    from Indiana

Erlee.... Yes, rock salt....as always...make sure it is dry when you put it in the hopper. I also mix in sand sometimes.

The biggest mistake people make with salting is they use "wet" material and it clogs & freezes.

No gate or vibrator used.
  7. CNYFarmboy

CNYFarmboy Junior Member

I have a SnowEx SP 1875 and the unit is 2 1/2 yrs old and the transmission went out of the auger. I have it all apart and there was very little to now grease in the transmission. Now back in 1999 and 2000 they had the 2yr total warranty with the 5yr transmission warranty. But from 2001 to current the 5yr warranty is something you have to pay extra for. So for those 2yrs they must have lost there butts for them to back out of the 5yr program. So I am going to get a new transmission and put grease fittings on them with a purge hole so I can keep it packed full of grease. So anyone out there with a snowex spreader might want to check the play in there tranny's, new ones are $286.00 and you can not find parts to fix the old ones. I always have had no problems spreading salt/sand mix through it, even with the -20f out it flows great. Product is good, but i am not happy with them not backing the item, that is just over warranty. my 2cents

8. butler L&S

butler L&S Member

I think the transmition went out on my 1875 sand pro. The auger does not spin and I have power coming back to the motor. I took off the motor and it works fine. The odd thing is, I dont get a code on the control box. It thinks the auger is spinning. I would think that it would give the "auger jammed" code. I'm in the proccess of tearing it down now and having trouble getting the set screws for the auger out. They are rusted and I already stripped one.
  9. CNYFarmboy

CNYFarmboy Junior Member

butler L&S, When mine went there was no code or anything, because the motor was working, but the transmission was stripped. In order to get the set screws out I heated them, be careful not to get to much heat, cause the shaft will get hot and melt into the plastic box. The shaft is stainless steel, so what i did once i had the allen screws out I put 2 vise grips one on the auger and the other on the shaft and wiggled them apart. The transmission is not fixable, throw it away and buy a new one, they are $285.99 and then I would recommend putting a grease fitting on the new one, with a purge hole the one side so you can keep it full of grease. If you have any other ??'s let me know.

10. grubenator

grubenator Junior Member
    from wi,mn

meyer mate

hey there i have the meyer mate id highly recommend it i have used it alot never had any problems with it the blast mode is awsome it also has has a viberator and that works well when the salt freezes too, so i would recommend it i payed around 850 not installoed it was pretty easy to install,