1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

SnowEx mini 575

Discussion in 'SnowEx Products' started by powerdriver, Nov 10, 2011.

1. powerdriver

powerdriver Junior Member
    from CHICAGO

Have a weird question. My buddy gave me a buyers salt spreader controller for my snowEx. Is there anyway I can use the buyers controller on my SnowEx spreader???? If so, how do I do it???
    THANKS EVERYONE!!!!

2. SnowEx Products

SnowEx Products Sponsor

Sorry, that controller won't work with SnowEx spreaders. Our controllers send a pulse width modulated signal to the motor, so other units are not compatible.

3. deicepro

deicepro PlowSite.com Addict

Get a wireless controller for $250

Waaay cheaper than a snowex replacement

4. Turf Guy

Turf Guy Member

Nice to see Snow Ex picks and chooses who they respond too.... I guess if it's to sell more product or parts they respond... If it's to deal with a problem, they hide.... Nice way to treat loyal and prospective customers....

5. wizardsr

wizardsr PlowSite.com Addict

I don't have a buyers controller, but every spreader controller I've ever seen is a PWM. I can't recall the last time I saw one of them old rheostat resistor heat generating dinosaurs. Even if it was though, there's no reason it wouldn't run a snowex, there's nothing special about snowex spreader motors that dictates having to use a snowex controller. I run one of my snow ex spreaders with a Karrier controller and it works WAAAAY better than the cheapo finicky Snow Ex controller could ever dream to.

OP, verify the buyers controller isn't a low current type setup with a "brains" box located elsewhere that handles the current. As long as that's not the case, I don't see any reason it wouldn't work.

6. SnowGuy73

SnowGuy73 PlowSite Fanatic

Where does a guy get one of these from?

7. rv4jesus

rv4jesus Member

karrier is a great company

Made in USA. Top quality, super durable stuff like the vibrator for my snowex 575. Ask the owner (Tom) or his wife if their controller will work on the snowex, one of them will probably answer the phone. If I remember correctly I think they had other parts for the 575 though I'm not sure about the controller.

http://www.karrierco.com

Last edited: Jan 10, 2012
  8. deicepro

Controlallwireless.com
    It works great, easy to install.
    Let me know if you have more questions.

9. SnowGuy73

Nice, thanks! I will have to look into this today.

10. deicepro

If you want to see it in action....I could maybe meet you somewhere next week?

11. SnowGuy73

Yeah, that would be cool. You guys heading out salting tonight? We're planning on 15:00 right now.

12. snowpoe

snowpoe Member

My mechanic buddy just wired up my 1075 snowex to a Meyers Controller and it works and has verible speed, although Im not sure it is getting enough power to the spreader motor.(we had to take the motor apart because it had alot of moisture in it and did not even work at first so this could be the reason its not throwing the salt out at a width like my Meyers JR does or the controller just might not be capable of the power it needs?)

We also hooked up a head light switch out of a 70-80's chevy truck with the adjustable dimmer twist nob and it worked also but he decided that it might burn up cause it is to power a dome light and not a electric motor:yow!: I thought it was pretty clever of him to just find something like that laying around and acually make it work:mechanic:

If anyone else has any other ways they have theres hooked up please post up.

Im going to keep useing the Meyers controller to see if it gets better (hoping the electric motor brushed get seated in better for more power) and if not I may wire it to a on/off switch or try to find a deal on a snowex one and hope it dont go bad like the others.

Also if anyone knows a place that repairs them cheap would be great.:drinkup:

13. wizardsr

A dimmer switch works differently than a spreader controller. A dimmer is just a variable resistor, while a spreader controller is PWM (Pulse Width Modulated). PWM controllers work by turning the motor on and off rapidly versus varying the voltage. With the dial at 3/4 on the spreader controller, the motor is still getting full voltage, but only for 75% of the time. Bad idea to use a dimmer switch for a spreader, it would burn up in short order.

14. deicepro

So....could I just take the two power wires and touch them together rapidly?

15. wizardsr

LOL. Be my guest! :laughing:

16. deicepro

I had to say it...you watch, someone will try it!

17. snowpoe

snowpoe Member

I wondered what PWM actually ment in laymens terms:eek: Thanks for the education Guys. Now I no that if I wire it to a on/off switch and just turn it on and off rapidly that I will be getting the same affect as a $400 new controller but with a lot more imput from the driver.:realmad: I am going to try and find a snowex dealer around here to test mine and try and fix it myself with parts from CPW. They sell a few parts for them like the on & off switches and if its something else I will just get a different one.

18. wizardsr

You need a heavy switch and a fast hand! :laughing:

PWM controllers are switching them really fast, like multiple times a second, so fast you don't notice it's happening, you just see the change in speed at the motor. If you were to wire an LED to the output of a PWM controller, you wouldn't notice any flickering, it would just dim as you turn down the dial.

You can use a simple switch and a heavy solenoid, I do this with one of my v-boxes to give the conveyor full power, and adjust the rear gate to change the amount of material being spread. Even a good quality switch like a carling is only rated for 20 amps, your spreader can easily draw 50-60 at start up.

19. deicepro

Told you!!! Haha