1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

snowex/blizzard/western

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by jbart06, Oct 22, 2015.

1. jbart06

jbart06 Member

in the market for a new plow. I was absolutely sold on a Western Wideout however recently spoke with my local blizzard dealer who informed me about the merge with snowex.

What i understand now and someone please correct me if i am wrong is that:
    if I bought a snowex power plow and my buddy has a brand new western wideout we could literally swap plows from each others trucks due to the mount an wiring being the same.
    the only difference between the wideout and the snow ex is that the snow ex is made of thicker gauge steel and the snow ex has steel cutting edges on the wings AND has built in curb guards.

I have owned an older blizzard in the past and loved it but I am overall a western guy but it seems like the snow ex/blizzard power plow is a better built plow. AND it is a few hundred bucks cheaper.

ANY THOUGHTS OR INPUT ARE APPRECIATED!!!!

what do you guys think I ought to buy?

2. Mark Oomkes

Mark Oomkes PlowSite Fanatic

Despite being untested, I'd go with a SnowEx.

3. dieselss

dieselss PlowSite Fanatic

I'd like to see the mounting setup a little closer.
    Snowex.....direct lift
    Wideout.....chain.
    And yes you could interchange the 2

4. jbart06

jbart06 Member

thats the thing, i would assume the mounting system is differnt so not sure how they are universal with each other.

5. dieselss

It's just the truckside, they can make and adapt the plowside to fit with the ultramount mounting system

6. LapeerLandscape

LapeerLandscape PlowSite.com Addict

They (blizzard, snowex, western and fisher) all have the same truck side mount and wiring as long as they are fleet flex. The western has the boxes that slide into the truck side mount the others have set ups that go in there as well, they are just configured differently. Any plow that is fleet flex will interchange with any other plow that is fleet flex. I can take my blizzard 8611 off a truck and put my western vee blade on that truck with no mods other than the western boxes that slide into the truck side mount. I can even use the same controller.

7. 1olddogtwo

1olddogtwo PlowSite Fanatic

8. fireside

fireside Senior Member

I have look at the SNOWEX in great detail. After using a blizzard since 2000 I will buy the SNOWEX. I'm just waiting to see how it runs this season. The mold board is the same as the blizzard plus steel wing edges.

9. 1olddogtwo

they do?.....fisher isn't

10. Defcon 5

Defcon 5 PlowSite.com Addict

Your just a Chainlift Hater...

11. LapeerLandscape

LapeerLandscape PlowSite.com Addict

Sorry I thought fisher was part of the cult.

I know some of the stuff is the same, we have a fisher controller on a 8611 blizzard.

Last edited: Oct 22, 2015
  12. 1olddogtwo

Basically everything else is the same and interchangeable, now the fleet flex is the main stay, it should be easier

13. dieselss

Easy button.

14. 1olddogtwo

That was easy

15. dieselss

Like this?

tmp_10580-0867863265101633814479.png

16. 1olddogtwo