1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Snowex 8500 questions

Discussion in 'Ice Management' started by viper881, Nov 26, 2011.

1. viper881

viper881 Senior Member

Recently bought a 8500 and had a few questions after I tested it out with one ton of salt.

Im using a treated bulk so that is fairly fine then normal and im having a hard time getting it to flow properly. It has the standard baffle that is the whole length of the auger. The auger pours it out to the spinner in 3-4 sec spurts, and then theres nothing for 3-4 secs and it just repeats this process. In the meantime the auger is spinning at the same speed.
    My thought was to take the baffle out becuase it might be bridging the salt but not sure if that would be to much stress on the auger.....forgot- The 3-4 secs is with the vibrator on and with it thats off its way longer. Would that solve my problem?

Another problem im having is its throwing my salt all the to passenger side mainly forwards hitting the rear tire, and if it doesnt throw towards the passenger side it hits the sppinner and it just falls straight down...looking at it the salt is falling stright to the middle of the spinner.
    how do i adjust this?
    Thanks in advance for the advice.

2. dlocke

dlocke Junior Member

Make sure that the auger is spinning the right direction. Snow ex had some spreaders with the polarity of the auger wired in reverse last year. I am not sure about the spinner.

3. deicepro

deicepro PlowSite.com Addict

That happens with treated salt because its wet (sticky)
    Modify the plastic chute to adjust the spread....

4. viper881

viper881 Senior Member

Should i remove the baffle for it to come out easier? In what way should i modify the shute?

5. deicepro

deicepro PlowSite.com Addict

Dont remove the baffle, that will put extra stress on your auger.
    Extend the bottom of the chute just a little so the salt hits more in the middle of the spinner. You will have to experiment with this....

6. viper881

viper881 Senior Member

I checked the auger this morning in it is spinning the correct way. Would it helped if I took a inch off the edge of the baffle on both sides the whole length of it? I played around a little with the chute and I now have it hitting directly in the middle of the spinner hittin the rod before it hits the spinner. Working a little better but still wants to fall straight down. Should I lower it so it does not it the rod on the spinner?