1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

snowex 8500 in a shortbox

Discussion in 'Ice Management' started by TwoBrosLawn, Oct 7, 2011.

1. TwoBrosLawn

TwoBrosLawn Member
    from 53223

I have a 05 2500hd chevy and a buddy has a snowex 8500 he will sell me for $2500 but not sure if it will be too much for a shortbox...I won't be needing to run it filled to compacity...if its ok for sized should I do anything to the rear suspension?
    Any help would be appreciated

2. REAPER

REAPER 2000 Club Member
    from 60050

You will be fine. Although I would recommend adding a couple of extra leaf springs and either air bags or a set of Timbrens.

I have the same truck only an 04. I run the SP8500 plus a 75 gal liquid tank. Here is the link you can see how far it extends from the bumper with the 75 gallon tank.
    http://www.plowsite.com/showthread.php?t=103324&page=3

Without the tank you should be right at the bumper. The reason I say add the leaf springs is because you will stress out the stock leafs and could break a couple even with air bags or Timbrens installed. Even with it partially filled why take a chance down the road. Trust me once you get it, it will get filled at some point.

Here is a video of a walk around full view and like I said you can see without the tank you will be fine. But do take the precaution of adding a couple extra leaf springs to the stock set-up. It will also help with any sag so cops don't notice you are running way over weight.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xbAWHCUT0ZQ
    Good luck and once you get the salter more work should come your way. :mechanic:

Last edited: Oct 7, 2011
  3. TwoBrosLawn

TwoBrosLawn Member
    from 53223

Thank you that is exactly what i was looking for with the pictures and video. Where do I get the add a leaf?

4. REAPER

REAPER 2000 Club Member
    from 60050

I had a spring place make mine and let my trusted mechanic install em. I believe it cost me about $250 for the job. Thumbs Up

5. TwoBrosLawn

TwoBrosLawn Member
    from 53223

do you think i will need more than the add a leaf for the rear, i ahve
    in the front, im running a 9" western plow.
    i just hate to spend 4000 on a 7500 when i can get a 8500 for 2500

6. REAPER

REAPER 2000 Club Member
    from 60050

Well I over built mine. With the extra springs and the v-box over filled it never even sat on the Timbrens. I added for precaution mainly because of issues with over loading my trucks in the past.
    I completely flattened both rear leaf springs on a 98 Dodge. That replacement/fix cost more than over building this one so I say better safe then sorry.

As far as the front. If you look at that above thread all the way you will see I over built that as well. Not saying you need to go to the extreme I did but a good set of HD shocks and Timbrens in the front never hurt anything. You will still be under that $4000 price for a new SP7550. Trust me you will wish you had the SP8500 once you are out salting and need just that little bit more to complete a job. Not to mention there are a few features with the SP8500 that the SP7550 does not have.

I say SP7550 because I was told they no longer make the SP7500. If that is the case you may be looking at old stock which I would stay away from if it is the case. Someone may have just told me that to get me to step up but am glad I did in any event.

Last edited: Oct 7, 2011
  7. TwoBrosLawn

TwoBrosLawn Member
    from 53223

8. REAPER

REAPER 2000 Club Member
    from 60050

That link is, I believe, your order. I couldn't view it. I looked on that site and found these.
    http://www.suspensionconnection.com/cgi-bin/suscon/81250-add-a-leaf.html

I am sure that will be enough. What I added was basically is 2 of those. I would still put some Timbrens in the back. It will also raise it a inch or more when empty.

Take a picture when complete and let us see how it sets.

9. justgeorge

justgeorge Senior Member

Which Timbrens should I get - looking at their website I see a SES kit, or perhaps AEON rubber springs?

I'm looking at putting a SaltDogg 2000 on my 07 Chevy 2500HD ext-cab shortbed 4x4. I'd prefer not to raise it up any higher. The SaltDogg 2000 appears to be similar to the Snowex 8500 in capacity. I'm running a 7.5' Western plow

Thanks

10. TwoBrosLawn

TwoBrosLawn Member
    from 53223

Ses is what your looking for

11. Westhardt Corp.

Westhardt Corp. Senior Member

AEON springs are what they call their rubber spring (aka: giant bump stop) that is part of the SeS kit. I have a set on my personal '04 Ram 2500 (2WD, not a plow truck) for towing 5th wheel trailers that put about 2200# on the truck. I may cut them down a bit, though, since my truck rides on them unloaded, and the ride is firmer than I would like. But they ride IMHO much better than additional leafs in the spring pack, and are cheaper and easier in most cases. Not to mention they generally don't affect empty ride (my truck is a bit lower than stock).

HTH

12. ultimate plow

ultimate plow PlowSite.com Addict
    from N. IL

Perfect fit.