1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

snowex 575

Discussion in 'Truck & Equipment Repair' started by bill1216, Dec 18, 2013.

1. bill1216

bill1216 Junior Member
    from ohio

picked up a snowex 575 for 150 bucks,it was locked up due to lack of maintenance,got it freed up to find the bearing on the trans shaft is growling and need replaced,are they even replaceable?????if so where can you get them???? will probably have to cut spinner and auger off also and need to find a place to buy these items also at a fair price,if bearings are not replaceable I will run it until it flys apart! any help would be appericated,tkx!

2. RBRONKEMA GHTFD

RBRONKEMA GHTFD 2000 Club Member

Angelos supplies. They are pricey though. $233.35 according to the site. Part number is Z107918. Its on page 152 of their catalog. We do ours at work at least every 2-3 years. Its a maintenance issue if you don't keep them clean.

3. bill1216

bill1216 Junior Member
    from ohio

thanks for the info,but are just the bearings replaceable???? also can I get shaft outa transmission without pulling auger and spinner plate off by taking it off in the transmission???

Last edited: Dec 18, 2013
  4. bill1216

bill1216 Junior Member
    from ohio

just to let everyone know the transmissions in snowex 575 and 1075 are rebuildable,i just finished 2 of them,only cost 28 bucks each

5. deicepro

deicepro PlowSite.com Addict

Really...? $28..?
    Do tell..

6. terrapro

terrapro PlowSite Veteran
    from MI

Yes do tell...

7. bill1216

bill1216 Junior Member
    from ohio

ok so these transmissions can be somewhat of a b#@$% to get apart,take your time,first thing is to get auger and spinner off,mine was really rusted,took acetylene torch heated the collar on the spinner plate and the auger up red hot let it cool and spray the crap out of it with pb blaster, I did mine for 2 days spraying about every 4 hours,i has to drill auger set screw out (not all the way to the threads) and got the rest out with an easy out,bumped it back and forth with air hammer after 2 days of soaking with pb blaster,once they moved I could hold the shaft with vise grips and a rag and belive it or not took them off the rest of the way by hand! split the motor off he trans, there is two seals around the shaft try to get the # off them for ordering purposes they are 32mm by 15mm by 7mm, there is a snap ring under the seals pull snap ring,on the other end of the shaft there is a plug that looks like a freeze out plug,from the long side of the shaft take a piece of brass and a hammer and pound the shaft through until the plug comes out,you will ruin the bearing on the other side with the woodruff key on the shaft that drives the gear but don't worry you are going to replace it anyway,once the plug had come out drive the shaft back through the other side that had the bearing with the snap ring,once shaft is out you can get drive gear out,very important that you drive the bearings inward towards the center because the one on the plug side is recessed in the aluminum housing, same process for the worm gear that hooks to the electric motor,it to has the bearings held in with a snap ring,and just so you know I had those small bearings laying around,they are the same ones in a pair of roller blades!!!!,at least the rollerblades I had,i got bigger bearings at napa for $8 bucks a piece and had to order the seals at a place called motion industries for $2 bucks each,got new woodruff key for shaft 2 new snap rings and reassembled for under $30 bucks,when you reassemble make sure everything is good and cleaned up,you may have to do a little emery clothing on parts and shaft,tap in bearing on side with metal plug first until seated in groove,tap other bearing onto tapered part of shaft all the way to end of tapered spot put woodruff key in,slide main gear into housing put shaft in an align keyway with gear and tap shaft and bearings together until you can get snapring back in, install seals.and plug,BOOM!!!! UR DONE!!! might sound complicated but its really no once tear into it,just pay attention to what you are doing,i added some extra steps to mine to try and help keep salt out,when I installes seals I put a lil grease under first seal put in seal and put silicone around it and let it dry,them put another then layer of grease installed second seal ans siliconed it also,and I put silicone around plug and on access plate gasket,make sure you refill with new grease, WOOH!!!!!! hope this helps,only took a couple of hours once I had all the parts,beats $300 bucks for a new one, let me know if you have any questions,like I said it really sounds harder than it is,dont be afraid to try it,worst case you were going to buy a trans anyway!!! mine works like a brand new one!!!!!!!!!!!!:mechanic: