1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

SNOWEX 575 with sand

Discussion in 'Ice Management' started by MuskokaDon, Nov 28, 2007.

1. MuskokaDon

MuskokaDon Member

Has anyone had any luck using a sand combination in this spreader??? I know it wont run sand alone, but i was hoping maybe i could use 50/50 or even a 70/30 combo of rock salt and sand. or ANYTHING with sand to make it flow (or not bridge) ???
    I have a customer who insists on getting sand on his road :realmad:

2. Peterbilt

Peterbilt Senior Member
    from IA.

I have a 575. Heres my experience with sand.

You can't run any kind of wet material through it. Even with the vibrator.

If you do run sand it has to be DRY!!!!!!!!!!!!!! The bagged sand box sand from lowes or home depot. Its the stuff thats INSIDE THE STORE. not the crap thats out side covered with snow because its going to be wet.

I found that using pretty much any kind of bagged melter mix with at a ratio of 3 to 1(3 Bags melter to 1 bag sand) Works best.

You need to layer them as well. go like 1 bag melter add your bag of sand then 2 melters 1 bag sand. the rest of you melter.

I had to use my 575 as a sand spreader due to a large client not understanding why his road wasn't brown with sand. I explained that my product was superior to sand. But he insisted that I use sand so they could see whne I had been there. so I added the sand to my mix that way. I experminted with many products but found the aboce to work the best.

But to make it all work you have to have a VIBRATOR kit on your spreader!!

3. MuskokaDon

MuskokaDon Member

Great info, thanks very much.. :salute:

4. powerjoke

powerjoke PlowSite.com Addict

i had (key word HAD) a western pro-flo2 and i ran 5:2 mix through it and it worked great:rolleyes:.........kinda, as long as i had a buddy following the truck beating on the side of it with a rubber mallet, and yes it had a vibrator

so best of luck to you

5. MuskokaDon

MuskokaDon Member

Is that a no?? :D

6. Scottscape

Scottscape Senior Member

I've got a snowex 1875 sand pro and wet sand still won't go through it :confused: think its gotta all be dry