1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

SnowEx 575 transmission

Discussion in 'Truck & Equipment Repair' started by SPSkyo8530, Dec 6, 2009.

1. SPSkyo8530

SPSkyo8530 Member

This year I noticed my spreader is really tight and overloads after a few minutes of working. I took the cover off the trans and noticed the inside was full of sand. I think the previous owner ran sand through it. I want to replace the transmission but cannot free the auger and paddle from the drive-shaft.

How do you replace the transmission on these?
  2. Crash935

Crash935 2000 Club Member

Do you have a trans or have you priced one?, Might be better to give it a good cleaning and lube it back up.
  3. SPSkyo8530

SPSkyo8530 Member

I did price one and it is expensive about $275.

I have the trans stripped down and have been soaking it in blaster for a week. I ran the inside gears in the parts washer for a few hours to flush out all the sand. I think the sand got into the one top bearing and has it chewed up. It is really tight and after a week of spraying blaster on it no change.
  4. maelawncare

maelawncare Senior Member

Why cannot you free the auger? Is it rusted on? You might try welding a bolt onto the pin to get it out. Then get the auger off.

If you cannot. You can always cut the drive shaft. Which will let you get to the bolts for the tranny. You might even be able to get the spinner off from the bottom as well.
  5. SPSkyo8530

SPSkyo8530 Member

Auger is rusted on. I had it glowing red hot with torches and a huge hammer and could not free it. I didn't want to cut it since I'll have to reattach it somehow and not so sure how it will work. That's my question.

Thanks for the replies so far....:salute: