1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Snowex 325 help

Discussion in 'Ice Management' started by lawnmasters2006, Jan 24, 2009.

1. lawnmasters2006

lawnmasters2006 Senior Member

i bought a snowex 325 mini...does seem to fling salt maybe a foot past the truck? i did by it used,min use looks like new. i took it apart an checked the gear box...full of green grease.... then i hooked it straight up to a battery an spinner spins the same as it does with the controller...but the web site says it should spread 25 feet...lol...the only thing i seen is when u spin it by hand it takes a bit to move it..is that right? any help would be great...thanks

2. Rc2505

Rc2505 PlowSite.com Addict

I have the same spreader. I built an 8 inch extender off my hitch. This makes my reciever sit 8 inches higher than it did before. I probably gained about 3 feet total width on my patter this way. I am now spreading approx. 10 feet wide now. I really dispise this spreader, and would love to shove it where the sun doesn't shine on whoever developed the thing.
    I was given the explaination that on a dry day in the middle of summer with low humidity, they take a test vehicle out to the test area of the factory and test each spreader for patterns, and widths. They run some salt through each spreader, and then measure the distance between the 2 furthest grains of salt, and use that for the max. on spread distance.

3. fproperty

fproperty Junior Member

I have the same spreader, can't wait to get a better and bigger one. Mine does the same thing also mine seems to drop alot of salt in the middle of the pattern like it is pulling too much material from the hopper for the spinner to handle and it just drops off the tray.

4. lawnprolawns

lawnprolawns Senior Member

I'm not sure if I'm getting 25 feet, but I know I'm getting it way past the sides of the truck, at least 5 feet or so. I'm actually really happy with mine. If there's no fluffy snow on the ground, it'll go across the whole road if I drive in the middle. I run about 1.5 tons through it every event.

Excuse me for stating the obvious, but if salt builds up on the sides next to the spinner, that will keep it from going sideways. I have to clean mine off once in a while, otherwise it builds up.

5. Rc2505

I have to clean the sides of mine off before every lot. By the end of the lot, wether it's 3 bags, or 10 bags, the sides are completly full, and it's only dumping in the middle. I really wish I could just take it back to the dealer, and forget about it. I have never been more dissapointed with any product I have ever bought.

6. fproperty

fproperty Junior Member

The sides of mine also fill up and I also have to clean them out before every lot. If I forget to clean the salt off when I get to a new lot and turn the switch on the salt has hardened just enough to blow the fuse( I keep a pack in the truck ).

7. Rc2505

I go through more fuses then I care to even think about. I can understand if I never cleaned off the back why fuses would blow, but I clean it off at the start of every lot. I average about 3 fuses per salting event. I have even stepped up my fuses to 25 amps, from the factory 15 amp, and they still blow.

8. lawnprolawns

lawnprolawns Senior Member

I wonder if you have a bad motor with some sort of short in it. If it's clean and spins freely, it seems like that would be the only other possibility. Or your wiring going back to the spreader is bad somehow/has a short.

I haven't replaced a fuse in weeks. Have you actually called SnowEx and asked them for anything? I'd be pissed if I were you! A new product like that shouldn't have so many problems!

Just FYI, I'm also running my strobe and two work lights off the same fuse for the spreader, even with everything on at the same time I seem to be alright.

9. DJ Contracting

DJ Contracting PlowSite.com Addict

You should not be blow fuses but this is just a temp. fix, I installed a spade type self re-setting relay in my 575 spreader (not that mine was blowing fuses) but just as a precaution.

10. Rc2505

All the wiring is new. The spreader is running alone on a single 25 amp fuse. I have other circuts running to the back of the truck, but the spreader is on it's own.
    Yes I called Snow-ex, and all they can offer for any suggestions, is to take it to a certified dealer, and have them test the spreader on a snow-ex scan tool. Well the nearest dealer is about 60 miles away, and I haven't had time to mess with it yet. I figure with the 2 year warranty that I will wait till spring, take off the plow, and make an appointment. Till then try to to take a cutting torch to the stupid thing, and just curse at it every time I blow a fuse.