1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

SnowEx 210

Discussion in 'Ice Management' started by OC&D, Jan 26, 2010.

1. OC&D

OC&D PlowSite Veteran
    from Earth

Since I rid myself of the old Swenson V box spreader a couple of years ago, I just bought a SnowEx 210 from Home Despotism. I have very few accounts that ever call for any salt or sanding. But with the goofy weather we've had around here the last few weeks I found myself getting a little tired of walking around a lot with my Lesco broadcast spreader. I'm curious though....has anyone tried spreading salt sand or bulk salt with one of these units? SnowEx rates it for bagged rock salt and other bagged ice melts. But would it do it? I haven't tried it, but I'm curious. Obviously if you're shoveling bulk salt or salt sand into it by hand, you could weed out the larger chunks that wouldn't fit through the screw in the hopper.

I would think it would, but I haven't tried it. The spreader is rated to carry 240 lbs, but 160 lbs of bagged salt fills the hopper, so I don't think weight would be a problem.
  2. DirtyJerzey

DirtyJerzey Senior Member

probably just like all electric tailgate spreaders... if the bulk is wet it will clump out and if the rocks are big they will jam. Everyone I know that runs bulk through a tailgate says the vibrators are a must have
  3. kitzy

kitzy Junior Member
    from PA

OCD...I cant help you with bulk material but for what its worth, I used my 210 last week for the first time. I can get (4) 50lb bags in it with no problem but you are right , I cant see how it would hold 240 lbs as advertised.
    I was convinced this little thing would not work without clogging all the time but to my surprise we ran 500lbs thru it and not a single problem. Like you I only have small areas to salt, but given that fact, even on 50% rate the hopper empties in minutes.....but I still like the convenience of it...would buy it again
  4. OC&D

OC&D PlowSite Veteran
    from Earth

This thread might interest you. It's a follow up I did on running bulk through the SR-210.