1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

SnowEx 1075 Running Bulk

Discussion in 'Ice Management' started by procut, Jan 10, 2012.

1. procut

procut Senior Member

I'm trying to scrouge up a tailgate spreader to put on a truck that I recently got. I've seen some deals on SnowEx 1075s, but I use bulk salt.

A local joker has one and tells me he uses bulk in it with no problems, but I try not to belive anything he says. Plus, a while back I had a Western 2000 which looks almost identical to the snowex 1075, except it was red not yellow, and it would not feed bulk salt. Even with a vibrator, I still had problems; I ended up selling it at a huge loss.

Has anyone ran bulk with a 1075 and had problems or did it work ok?
  2. jkiser96

jkiser96 Senior Member

We tried it last year & it was not pretty. We had to have someone ride on the back with a stick & poke it down so the auger catch it. The bulk was wet & kept creating pockets. that would not fall.
  3. goel

goel PlowSite.com Addict

We run a 1075 with a vibrator and use Bulk Treated and have never had a problem.
  4. SnowPro11

SnowPro11 Member
    from KY

The 1075 does not have an auger. Are you sure you are talking about the right unit?

The 1075 will spread bulk salt but you MUST add a vibrator to the unit.
  5. snowguys

snowguys Senior Member

the 1075 does have a auger to pull the salt down we tryed to use bulk two years ago bad news would not flow i didnt have a vibrator so that might help with the flow. i just pulled it off and put a vbox on it
  6. SnowPro11

SnowPro11 Member
    from KY

The 1075 does not have an auger like an 1875 model, which is actually a bulk material spreader becuase of the full length auger and also a vibrator standard. The 1075 does not have a full length auger like the 1875 or V box models. However, it does have an extension to the shaft that goes up into the spinner. That is to help breakup material as it flows onto the spinner.
  7. deicepro

deicepro PlowSite.com Addict

Just add a vibrator....possibly modify the auger...
  8. T-Trim

T-Trim Senior Member
    from NE OH

You should add a vibrator anyways. Helps alot even if you use bagged salt. It will pay for itself in no time.
  9. Lasher66

Lasher66 Member

I just switched to bulk this year for my 1075 and wished I did it 5 years ago. I built a box in back of my truck to hold it. I just had to add a vibrator to the spreader and everything runs smoothly through it. No bags to deal with and I can load the hopper with a shovel just as fast as bagged. Went from paying $190 a ton for bagged to $67 a ton for bulk.
  10. SnowGuy73

SnowGuy73 PlowSite Fanatic

The 375, 575, and 1075's will all take bulk as long as it is dry. Also you need to load them on the properties, don't load them at the shop and then drive 10 miles down the road with the bulk salt in the spreader. It will compact and jam the spinner, but as long as its dry and not compacted in the hopper it will work fine. Ever treated salt (clearlane) works fine in these tailgate spreaders. :salute:
  11. Rc2505

Rc2505 PlowSite.com Addict

Epic is correct. Load at the site, and empty before leaving for the next site. I have done this for years with very little problems.
  12. vernislm

vernislm Junior Member

I'm running bulk with a 1075. The only problem that I have had is I load up at the shop and go plow, sometimes when I start to salt I get a code and I get out and turn the spinner by hand about a half a turn and everything is ok after that. I do have a vibrator on it and i run it the whole time I'm spreading.