1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Snowex 1075 locked up Opinions please!

Discussion in 'Ice Management' started by SharpBlades, Nov 10, 2014.

1. SharpBlades

SharpBlades Senior Member

I mounted my Snowex 1075 yesterday, and after 4 years of almost trouble free service, it seems like the gearbox is locked up...

Last fall when I mounted it, I had to let penetrating oil seep down the driveshaft before it would spin freely, this year same thing.... only instead of spinning freely it will only move under force turning it by hand with vice-grips on the driveshaft.

Last year I figured it would only be a matter of time before I had to replace the gearbox since its not able to be greased or anything, but now that it needs to be done I'm not sure what I want to do...

Replace it with a trynex oem gear box, or an aftermarket one...

I have heard nothing but great things about Karrier controllers, and I see that they have a gearbox for about $30 more than OEM, but I have not heard much (good or bad) about their gearboxes.

I also found an aftermarket (Maxxmotor) motor/gearbox combo on fleabay for less than an OEM transmission... :rolleyes:

Also wondering, since I'm going to have everything apart, should I bite the bullet and do the motor too?
  2. dieselss

dieselss PlowSite Fanatic

I would go the karrier or oem route. I think the karrier are an upgrade. I.e.....better seals. And such
    Motor...all depends upon how it looks when you get it apart.
  3. SharpBlades

SharpBlades Senior Member

I took it apart and the gear box is defiantly shot. The motor looks alright and seems to engage fine so it looks like all I need is the gears...
    Which brings me to my next question.... Installing a grease nipple on the new gear box, good idea, or no?
  4. dieselss

dieselss PlowSite Fanatic

Can't say. But I'd think it would void the warranty. After that's up....That's up to you