1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Snowdogg XP810 vs Wide-out vs Blizzard

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by mtchockey30, Oct 24, 2011.

1. mtchockey30

mtchockey30 Member
    from MO

I have been trying to research these plows on here and I am wanting to know from the people that have had or have the wide-out style plows if there is a diffenence between the 3? Is it just price and name? The Snowdogg is cheaper and I am wondering if it is just as good? Any help would be greatly appreciated.
    Thanks

2. Matson Snow

Matson Snow PlowSite.com Addict

Wideout = Chain Lift, Full MoldBoard Trip

Blizzard = Direct Lift , Full MoldBoard Trip

XLS = Chain Lift , Cutting Edge Trip

Snowdogg....Looks like a Chainlift and Full Moldboard Trip....Have Not Seen one in Person so i can't say for sure......:eek:

I own XLS's and have used Both the Wideout and Blizzard...All 3 are Very productive Plows and in My opinion well Worth the Money....Thumbs Up

As for the Snowdogg....Can't comment since i have Never used or even seen one in Person....

3. basher

basher PlowSite Fanatic
    from 19707

:salute::salute: that's honesty, too many people on here state opinions with-out experance.

4. DaveCN5

DaveCN5 Senior Member

In addition to what Matson Snow said, the Blizzard is 2" taller than the Western and lighter than the Western. I can't speak about SnowDogg either, but I would also consider dealer support and parts availability.

5. mtchockey30

mtchockey30 Member
    from MO

I thought that what he said was helpful.

6. WilliamOak

WilliamOak PlowSite.com Addict

blizzard is also the only one with steel wing edges last time I checked..

7. got-h2o

got-h2o 2000 Club Member

IMO the Wideout is like a tinker toy compared to a Blizzard, even currently that they're both DD.

8. basher

basher PlowSite Fanatic
    from 19707

So did I , I was being complementary.:dizzy:

9. bieriewk

bieriewk Member

Snowdogg has steel wing edges, very productive, had a few issues with it, look in the snowdogg forum there's a post there where I did a write-up of my experience with the plow, its well worth the money, and I have a excellent dealer, which is the key to determining which brand you go with. The wings being fixed I liked, one less button to mess with while plowing, and I can't really see a situation where you need to move them. Also the snowdogg is truly 10 feet with wings, where-as on the others I believe when you fold the wings forward they are shorter.

10. got-h2o

got-h2o 2000 Club Member

I like your honesty, especially when it comes to admitting the flaws......BUT I think you are a bit confused with how the Blizzard works. The slide boxes have a pivot for the wings and are spring loaded with a stop allowing the wings to fold in or out automatically. No extra button, no additional hydraulics. You open them up, they reach the end/stop and fold forward. It's actually a very simple design if you were to open one up and have a look (that and being spring loaded is actually safer than fixed.....almost like a trip). Also, I believe you are correct with saying it's not an actual 10'.........but in comparison I'd rather lose that few inches by having a larger scoop amount than the 20* that a Snowdogg scoops. I'd be interested to know the cubic yard capacity in comparison.

11. got-h2o

got-h2o 2000 Club Member

..................and don't get me wrong. You get what you pay for. For the money I think the XP is well worth it in comparison. I just don't think that I personally would treat one with the same abuse my Blizzards go through. Even with those, as careful as we try to be, there's always that chance of damage.....costly damage.

12. northernsweeper

northernsweeper Senior Member

I run an 8611lp blizzard and an 810. Love them both. My buddy sells the Snow Dogs. The expandable are new for them and there are still some problems to work out. They seem good and are, in my area, about 600-900 cheaper than the blizzards. The rams seem smaller on the snow dogs. The blades are taller and my buddy says they lift higher than the blizzards.....But I do like the Blizzards!

13. wizardsr

wizardsr PlowSite.com Addict

PH1 Blizzards lift plenty high with a couple minor mods. They also tend to wear the pins in the lift arm assembly so they lose height over time as well.

The big rams are a strong point on the PH1 blizzards. Everyone wants speed, but I say screw the speed and give me strength! Thumbs Up That's been something that all the manufacturers have been pushing as a selling point, saying "our plows are faster than theirs", but I could really give a rats behind if a blade angles fast or not.

I looked at the snowdogg at the fair last year with interest, until I saw the cheesy trailer jack and turned and walked away. If that's all the more thought they put into the jack stand, what about the rest of the blade? If they cheaped out there, what else did the cheap out on? :dizzy:

14. hiranger

hiranger Member

Haven't been too impressed with the looks of the Snowdogg.. Looks kind of cheap to me. I do like the Salt dogg spreader. Buyers products can be hit and miss though.

15. bieriewk

bieriewk Member

I stand corrected, so do the western or blizzard wings work at retracted lengths? I have found the dogg to be quite useful for doing drive-thrus, because I can shorten the blade until it fits perfectly in the drive thru, then push all the snow out, without dumping it on/over a curb, its something I have been complimented about several times. The thing most people don't understand about snowdogg is that it is cheaper for a reason, convinences like power jacks are not present. Personally I don't mind the jack, bc Its one less hydro system to leak or break. I have posted in the snowdogg forum that I don't think the a-frame is strong enough, I took my feelings to the dealer, they photographed the area of concern, and the same day I had reassurance from the dealer and buyers that if it ever fails, they will take care of it. Once again, dealer support is key.

16. Matson Snow

Matson Snow PlowSite.com Addict

XLS, Wideout and Blizzard all retract to an 8 Foot straight blade.......

17. bieriewk

bieriewk Member

So you can't partially retract the wings without them folding flat again? Can you individually adjust how much each side is retracted? Or is it an on/off thing? With the snowdogg I can change how far out each wing is, and the blade is always in "scoop" mode. Seems like an advantage to me.

18. wizardsr

wizardsr PlowSite.com Addict

In some cases yes. Back dragging and windrowing I'd rather have the wings straight out.

19. bieriewk

bieriewk Member

I would agree with back-dragging, which is the one big flaw I have experienced with this plow, there is always a foot or so of snow you can't get because the wings would hit whatever your trying to back-drag away from. In terms of windrowing, I haven't noticed a difference compared to my straight blade. I think the only way anyone could get a clear picture of the comparison of these plows would be to plow a season with each, and learn the advantages/disadvantages of each. Personally, in my area, dealer support was a big issue, the closest dealer for Fisher/DD products are each 40 mins away from me. Also in my area for some reason both Fisher and DD are priced way higher than what seems to be the norm. I saved 1800 bucks by buying the snowdogg over a blizzard, wideout, or XLS.

20. got-h2o

got-h2o 2000 Club Member

All of the above was discussed accurately IMHO and all were valid points. One other minor thing I want to mention is for having one less thing to worry about with the jack/mounting system, is that the Blizzard doesn't use any more hydraulics or moving parts for that either. The lift cyl is what is used for that, and is very simple. It's a double acting cyl. For dismounting it simply extends farther and the claw pivots down off of the frame. IMO there is no mounting system that beats the simplicity of Blizzard PH1. I'm not trying to sound like a spokes person for Blizzard, really. I just am trying to make it clear for those who are a bit misinformed is all. They are a complex design, but with very simple, basic ideas.

I've recently taken 2 down to scratch. Figuring out how everything works is pretty cool.