1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

SnowDogg VXF8.5 or Fisher XV8.5

Discussion in 'SnowDogg Snow Plows' started by opformitch, Nov 3, 2015.

1. opformitch

opformitch Junior Member
    from Utah

Hello all:

I am currently considering purchasing a new V plow for my operation, I have already weighed out the benefits of a V plow vs. an Expanding plow and decided since a lot of my business is residential with short driveways (and PITA aprons) A V plow would suit me best.

I have similar quotes for both a Snowdogg V plow and Fisher V (non flared wings) plow. My question to all of you is can you please help provide me with your recent experiences with the two brands?

The warranties and features of the plow are neck and neck in my opinion, and each plow has it's advantages over the other. I have a close local dealer who I feel is trustworthy for either. I would normally lean towards the more established brand (Fisher) but have been combing through this forum for a few weeks and have found more "disturbing" complaints about fisher then I have about SnowDogg (though there was some definite griping about them as well.

Any help is appreciated and I hope the snow starts soon for all of us.

Thanks
    Chris

2. 1olddogtwo

1olddogtwo PlowSite Fanatic

If you consider each plow "even", look at the truck side of things and how they mount.

3. JustJeff

JustJeff 2000 Club Member

It's hard for me to believe the prices are even comparable. I would have thought you could have got the Snowdogg much cheaper. I got my VXF 96 for a good two grand less than a comparable Western or Fisher. That being said, I have never used a Fisher. I have no complaints about my plow at all. I've worked it hard doing commercial work for several years now and it's never let me down. The only thing I don't like is the mount, the difficulty of hooking it up, and how low the (permanent) mount hangs on my truck when the plow is not on. Western's mount is by far the best, with the removable receivers for the Summer. I wouldn't hesitate to buy another Snowdogg though.

4. jhall22guitar

jhall22guitar PlowSite.com Addict

We have a fisher at work, and a previous company I worked for used fishers. No complaints, except on the older ones that were beginning to show their age. My boss now has a Fisher V and it is easy to hook up/un mount and easy to use.

One thing to remember is you will see more complaints about Fisher than Snowdogg probably just due to the sheer difference in people running each brand. Im sure there are many more people on here with Fisher than Snowdogg, meaning there would also be more complaints.

5. opformitch

opformitch Junior Member
    from Utah

Part of the similarity in price is like likely do to the fact that fisher is now selling a flared wing plow, as such the price for the straight wing may be lower.

I compared my prices with some online distributors and got similiar results.

Thank you for the reply and i appreciate your input

6. opformitch

opformitch Junior Member
    from Utah

I understand your point about the construction of each companies truck side construction and would agree that fishers is better. However i like snowdoggs electrical side better than fishers. As such i considered them equal in that regard.

I will put you down as one vote for fisher though.

Thanks
    Chris

7. plowguy43

plowguy43 PlowSite Fanatic

I live 45 minutes from the Fisher Factory - I live in Fisher Country and have owned I believe 7 of them - 2 MM1 7'6", 2 MM1 8', 1 MM2 8' XBlade, 1 MM2 9'6" EZV, and Lastly 1 MM2 9'6" Stainless Extreme V (non Flared)

I also switched to Snowdogg back prior to the 2011 Season (Purchased in November 2011 I believe). The only problems I ever had were self inflicted - I didn't do a thorough check of the plow and a hose was loose due to the type of drives I plow (Gravel, uneven dirt, etc).

This past season I had a 9'6" Xtreme V Stainless - It needed - New Center Pin, New Hose, New angle cylinder, new pump, new motor, new jack (self inflicted), and a new wiring harness. With all of this done, the center section where the pin goes through was badly "Egg shaped" or oval'd out. Its a bad, weak, hinge design that all of them end up with over a few years.

Pros/Cons

Snowdogg - Pros : Stainless, Deflectors Standard, Adjustable height stand, adjustable trip springs, beefy center pin, beefier construction throughout, larger center lift piston, nice optional stainless wings with a nice angle to them.
    Cons: Doesn't lift as high as the Fisher, a little slower in its movements but not much, some people don't like the controller, some people don't like the jack/stand setup, lights aren't as good as Fisher Intensifiers

Fisher - Pros : Mounting is easier if on level ground (one lever to set the pins), better lights, faster hydraulics
    Cons : More expensive, Not as easy to mount if the plow settles in the ground or the ground is uneven, weak center pin design that will egg out over time, non adjustable trip springs, no deflectors standard, optional wings add little to no width and are sharply angled (no stainless option), In my opinion they are not built as well overall but that's just my opinion after running multiple plows from them.

Hope this helps, I am now buying another Snowdogg but going with the 95VXF. I can get an entire setup, Cash and Carry (I setup and install) for $4700 whereas Fisher/Boss want $5800-$6000 Cash & Carry for their 9'6" Flared plows with a Painted Moldboard not stainless.

Its a no brainer for me, I worked the crap out of my Dogg and it never quit so I have no problem going back to them again.

8. JustJeff

Plowguy, that's a nice objective point of view. And well informed since you've owned/operated both.

9. plowguy43

Thanks, appreciate.

Either way, they will both be nice plows and work well. People seem to stick on the price point as an indication of reliability, build quality, and overall operation of the plows.
    In the end, I found the opposite to be true, and while running a business, if I can save $1,000 up front and use that elsewhere - I'm ahead of the game.

10. JustJeff

Agreed. I believe Snowdogg's just marketing them cheaper to get them out there and have people try them. As stated, their center pins are larger, lift cylinders and angle cylinders are larger, and even when you compare their stainless to other's stainless, Snowdogg's is 12 gauge vs. others 14. Again, not crazy about the mount at all, and hanging down so far in the off season, but that's the only thing that I'm not happy with.

11. 1olddogtwo

1olddogtwo PlowSite Fanatic

Agreed, I've never owned a Snowdoggy.

12. plowguy43

What I was told a looong time ago when I was looking into them was that Buyers owns its own steel company and is already a very large manufacturer of plow parts (and a bunch of other items), which allows it to produce the plows at a much cheaper cost than others - I really have no idea how much truth there is in that, but it kinda made sense (SAM replacement parts are theirs, etc).

1olddogtwo - thanks as well!

13. JustJeff

Very possible. But they could still have tried to sell them at the same cost as the average of the other, more expensive manufacturers and had that much of a higher profit margin. I still think, and I could be wrong, that if they sell a comparable or better plow at a cheaper price, it will get them "into the game" faster. Again, just a guess on marketing strategy.

14. Mark Oomkes

Mark Oomkes PlowSite Fanatic

I've had Fisher plows in the past and they were very good quality.

I have a Salt Dogg spreader, and based on the lack of quality found in it, I would never buy anything from Buyers again.

15. kimber750

kimber750 PlowSite Veteran

Absolutely love my Fisher XV. Only issue in the 4-5 seasons with it was a leaking lift hose fitting. I pull my center pin every season to grease it. Change fluid and wash after storms. Still using original pin and holes are perfect. Also I am also very good friends with local Fisher dealer so that is a big reason for me going to Fisher.

Never owned, used or even seen a dogg in person. My only issue with Buyers is everything always seems to be on back order, at least for their spreaders.

16. opformitch

opformitch Junior Member
    from Utah

Computer did not import quote correctly

Last edited: Nov 4, 2015
  17. opformitch

opformitch Junior Member
    from Utah

Thanks for the information about the mounting system, I agree it doesn't look as friendly as Fishers MM2, it really doesnt even look as friendly as my Hiniker Mount either. But, I have decided I should consider a shape shifting plow and really like the construction and options of the Snowdogg for the price.

Last edited: Nov 4, 2015
  18. opformitch

opformitch Junior Member
    from Utah

HarleyJeff:

Sounds like you are running the Saltdogg SHPE1500. This isnt the correct forum for a long review about it, but if you dont mind my asking could you just give me a "Yes" or "No" to the question; would you purchase one again?

Thanks
    Mitch

19. opformitch

opformitch Junior Member
    from Utah

Kimber:

Do you do a fair amount of "off road" plowing with your Fisher? if so have you noticed any issues from the trip springs wearing out early? Heard some rumors of such things around the old interweb, but those were from pretty pissed off people. Rather than taking the interwebs opinions I would really appreciate yours.

Thanks
    Mitch

20. opformitch

opformitch Junior Member
    from Utah

Thanks a lot for the unbiased opinion showing the pros and cons of both plows. I have been quoted about $200 more than you for cash and carry price, I would gripe but part of that may come from shipping to Utah. I am also going to install the the plow myself, Snowdogg claims to use a relay system consisting of multiple individual (but easily purchasable and replaceable) relays similar to my Hiniker Plow. I havent found any documentation on which micro relays they are using, since you probably know, are the relays a pretty standard Parts store available units?