1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

SnowDogg VX Controllers number 20

Discussion in 'SnowDogg Snow Plows' started by Smackit, Jan 25, 2013.

1. Smackit

Smackit Junior Member
    from 49437

I am on my 20th controller for my plow, yes the 20th and it went bad tonight. I have to drive 150 miles round trip to get a new one everytime. The dealer has been great but they keep telling me that Snowdogg has a new supplier for them now and this one should be good. I dont plow commercially and I get to plow my driveway 2.5 times with every controller. I am to the point where I of buying a new plow and putting this thing in front of my house with a display on it saying dont every buy this brand of plow. I see peole have had issues with the salt box controllers, anyone have issues with the VX controllers?

2. Pushin 2 Please

Pushin 2 Please PlowSite Veteran

Sorry to hear. You pay for what you get. It's a Snow Dogg.

3. plowguy43

plowguy43 PlowSite Fanatic

Great insight, I've had 0 issues with mine while friends with Fishers costing over $1000 more have had problems since day one. And the dogg is built a lot heavier then the rest.

OP- what type of fuse are you tapped into to power the controller? Scott has told me directly that the controller is very sensitive to higher loads from the tap.

You should contact him directly and see if he can help. He always responds to my PMs quickly.

4. djagusch

djagusch 2000 Club Member
    from mn

What is happening with the controller?

5. Smackit

Smackit Junior Member
    from 49437

The remote powers on but it will not move the plow. I have brought my truck in numerous times and they swap out remotes and it works fine for a few days of plowing then it stops working again.

Plowguy - makes sense what you said about higher loads, the first day I brought it home, I was blowing the 10a fuse for the controller and when I brought it back, they changed something and the fuses stopped blowing, I will check that out.

6. plowguy43

plowguy43 PlowSite Fanatic

Check that inline fuse to see if they put in a larger amp fuse (they shouldn't have but who knows).

Also check to make sure the wire has a secure connection as low voltage can kill the controller as well (per Scott)

Last edited: Jan 26, 2013
  7. basher

basher PlowSite Fanatic
    from 19707

what vehicle?

8. Smackit

Smackit Junior Member
    from 49437

2001Super Duty

9. basher

basher PlowSite Fanatic
    from 19707

Power and grounds directly to battery?

10. Smackit

Smackit Junior Member
    from 49437

Yes off the solenoid

11. basher

basher PlowSite Fanatic
    from 19707

So they do not go to battery they go to the starter
    Soleniod?

12. Smackit

Smackit Junior Member
    from 49437

Yes directly to the battery

13. basher

basher PlowSite Fanatic
    from 19707

Good the battery normally acts as a filter against voltage spikes, etc. I would email scott and discuss this with him. Could be worth Snowdawgs while to replace your harness if you are having continual controller failures. I doubt it is consistently bad from box controllers if you have gone though this many. While I have heard of others having controllers issues none of them are having the repeated issues you are.

14. smoorman

smoorman Sponsor

Not sure where to start with this. I don't have any dealers talking to me about 20 bad controllers. The only recurring cases of bad controllers I've heard of involved bad grounds. A bad controller can happen- 2 is pretty bad luck- and more than that is the installation or something else. At the 3rd time it would have made more sense to replace the harnesses. There is a ground loop or bad coil- something else going on. If your dealer has replaced 20 controllers, I haven't seen them, because every controller I get back goes to our vendor (after crossing my desk). PM me with your dealer and we'll work with them. I'm glad to hear they are taking care of you, but obviously there is an issue other than the controller at work.here.