1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Snowdogg vs Boss

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by Jaysled, Sep 11, 2009.

1. Jaysled

Jaysled Member

I'm looking at the Snowdogg 7.5 HD plow and the Boss Standard Duty steel 7.5 plow. On paper the spec's seem to be very comparable. The Snowdogg seems to be about 80lbs heavier and is SS. The Boss is a well known brand and has a great rep.

Some insite would be great, BTW the Snowdogg is 400.00 cheaper. Thanks!

2. Sabsan84

Sabsan84 Senior Member

I was looking for a new plow too, but u really cant compare a Snow Dogg to a Boss, the boss is clearly more technologically advanced, look at the hook up, and the lights and heavy dutiness of the boss. The snow dogg is a nice plow and its advantage is that it had SS mold board for a steel price, cuz a new fisher or such ss is like 1500 more than a snow dogg.

3. basher

basher PlowSite Fanatic
    from 19707

Boss has a long time reputation for building a solid unit, the snowdogg is relatively unproven

The Boss is direct lift (a system I prefer JMO,) as opposed to the Snowdogg's chain hoist.

Most important is dealer support.

What truck are you installing it on?

4. grandview

grandview PlowSite Fanatic

I say go Boss ,it's the only opinion you need!:nod:

5. Jaysled

Jaysled Member

Ford F-350 2009 V10 plan on doing Residential Driveways 10-20.

6. basher

basher PlowSite Fanatic
    from 19707

First; you need at least an eight foot blade. Eight foot six would be better.

Second; consider Snoway if you have a good dealer in the area. The down pressure is a big plus in driveways.

7. Jaysled

Jaysled Member

I'm getting diffrent opinions on blade size, what would be the disadvantage going with the 7.5 blade? BTW I don't have a dulley truck.

8. basher

basher PlowSite Fanatic
    from 19707

running over the unplowed snow with your rear wheels if you have the front wheels turned. Packing it down and making it harder to remove.

mirrors brushing the bushes in drive ways

must get closer to cars, fences, walls,etc.

Your truck is not nimble, the less maneuvering you have to do the better and the faster you work.

9. NBI Lawn

NBI Lawn PlowSite.com Addict

Go with the Boss. They are a superior plow and parts are easier to come by. They have proven themselves for years were the Sno Dog is still "testing" if ya ask me. They are learning what works and what doesnt.

As far as the blade size goes get the 8.5ft for sure. I do driveways with my 8" and am trying to find an 8.5 now. Smaller isnt aways better for the tight spots and in this case it doesnt matter how ya use it :D

10. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

A STANDARD duty plow is not nearly robust enough for a truck of that weight. ...and a 7.5 ft isn't wide enough for it in residential use either.

Super Duty 8.5 ft if you're going Boss or an EX85 if you're going SnowDogg.

11. Brad3403

Brad3403 Senior Member
    from Alberta

If money is an issue then I would go with the Snowdogg. I've got both and the Snowdogg isn't bad but my next one will be another Boss.

12. NoFearDeere

NoFearDeere PlowSite.com Addict

Boss no question about it.

13. mercer_me

mercer_me PlowSite Fanatic

I like Fisher, but Boss would be my second choice. I like chain lifts. But I would buy a Boss before I bought a Snowdogg.

14. TonawandaNY

TonawandaNY Senior Member

Boss has been around alot longer. I would think after seeing a SnowDogg HD and a Boss STD duty the HD is actually a heavier duty plow. As a matter of fact if you look at the construction of the 7.5HD it looks just like Western's Pro+ in the way it is re-enforced.

If this is your first year I would say go with the SnowDogg. It will lower your startup cost which will increase your bottom line which will lead to less work before you start turning a profit.

Once you get established and in a couple of years if you want to go bigger/better then go bigger/better, unless money is no option. If money is not an issue for you then maybe you could give me some:D HaHa

The other piece I will say is, look at the number of dealers around you and their hours. A plow dealer that is only open M-F 8-5 is useless, unless they have 24hr emergency service for the plows.

I almost bought a SnowDogg, in the end lack of known distributership led me to buy Western( there are 3 Douglas Dynamics dealers in my area)

The plow is useless without good service because eventually it will breakdown.

15. Lux Lawn

Lux Lawn PlowSite.com Addict

I am picking up a Boss tomorrow.

16. Jaysled

Jaysled Member

Well after doing much research, I'm going with a Western Pro Plus 8' Plow with back blade attachment. Out of all the dealers I called he was the only one that told me about a cash rebate Ford offers towards a new plow. So his knowledge about his product and the service he offerd is what sold me. When I get it installed I'll get a pic up.

Thanks for the help! :cool:

17. Jaysled

Jaysled Member

Well guys thanks for the help here are a few pics of my new plow!

Ford_F-350_004.jpg

Ford_F-350_005.jpg

Ford_F-350_006.jpg

18. BMWSTUD25

BMWSTUD25 Senior Member

well I have to ask.....why would you put up a post about debating BOSS and snowdogg and then go buy a western??????? im confused. hope you at least get that Ford rebate.

19. cet

cet PlowSite Fanatic

You will be quite happy with that choice. Truck and plow look great. Did you consider getting and 8'6"?

20. Lux Lawn

Lux Lawn PlowSite.com Addict

Same thing I was wondering.

Looks good though.