1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Snowdogg Videos

Discussion in 'SnowDogg Snow Plows' started by jimmycrackcorn, Dec 13, 2015.

1. jimmycrackcorn

jimmycrackcorn Member
    from boston

Why is it that I can't find any videos of the bigger Snowdogg's pushing real snowfall. More specifically something showing how high the XP810 will stack. I found PLENTY of footage with ppl showing off there new purchases making the wings go in & out, but none actually pushing a real snowfall or showing it's usefulness.

I've seen Mossman's comprehensive videos but it's a V, he don't get much accumulation & is always pushing into frozen banks so the blade is catching instead of riding up the bank in most the shots.

There's gotta be some good footage of these plows, no? I mean considering the amount of YouTube hero's & the amount of time the XP810 has been out, there's gotta be some out there.. This is one of the reasons I'm opting out of a Snowdogg & going with a Western. The Rams are beefy no doubt, but seem extremely short when compared to their competition. I'm taking half the length, 6" vs 10" to 12" on others. To someone who isn't a guru like me, that says that they lack the ability to go as high when transporting or trying to angle.

Someone shed some light on this, I may just need to clear my history & turn of personalized search results as I keep coming up with the same stuff.

That, & the Snoway 29R, mostly short manufacturer clips or summertime pavement pounding.

Last edited: Dec 13, 2015
  2. JustJeff

JustJeff 2000 Club Member

Don't know what you're saying about the ability to turn or lift. I have the same V that Mossman had and I'm able to angle my plow as far as I want, just short of hitting my bumper, and I can lift the plow as high as anybody else out there. Gotta say though, I have never seen an XP out there yet. Not one. I think people that are considering them usually end up going with the wideout, XLS, or 810/8611 due to the articulating box ends. Below are pictures of me stacking. I think I can get it up about as high as anybody else.

20140105_065816 [1600x1200].jpg

20140105_073916 [1600x1200].jpg

3. MC94XR7

MC94XR7 Senior Member
    from GTA

Also, when I spoke to the sales man, the hydraulics are double chambered if that is the correct term so they hold their position.

4. jimmycrackcorn

jimmycrackcorn Member
    from boston

Hmm I swear I hit post so if this comes up twice I apologize.

Hey Jeff..
    What I meant by that earlier was two things,

1. When most setups are designed universally to fit a wide array of vehicles & 9 out of ten have a 10 or 12 inches of ram movement to be functional, you would think the one with only 6 would have half the articulation of others. That is unless it's designed somehow to float float down past the limitations of the 6" ram & count on it riding the bank for the stack. Same goes for angling minus the float aspect. Idk maybe on the angle they put the rams closer to the pivot point to make up for it.

2. The one video I did see of the V trying to stack, it would ride up fairly high, but on it's way back down it was depending on the 6" ram to eventually catch it. What it looked like was that it took a little bit longer to land on the ram because its shorter & because of that a good amount of snow was being dragged back out of the pile instead of the plow being high enough to clear it. & that was on Mossman's tall dually too.

So that's what I was trying to get at is all. Reason being is, I'm going to be in a vehicle that is a bit shorter than the one I saw pulling snow back out of the bank. Also, I'm sure if it could have been avoided, he would have done so as he seems very detail oriented.

Now regarding the XP, iirc, it seems to share the same characteristics in the lifting department. Still, haven't seen any videos which is very odd considering the price difference. I had gotten price quotes thus year of 7k for a XLS installed, I called my Snowdogg & got 4800 install on a leftover XP!! $2200 difference is huge, I don't see why there aren't more it there. As ignorant as they might be, maybe ppl have the same assumptions about it as I do because that's a huge savings to pass up. This was a month ago too & I just saw the plow still sitting there today.

5. jimmycrackcorn

jimmycrackcorn Member
    from boston

A little off topic but...tell me about your Ram, my plow choice is going on a 06 3500 CCSB 5.9.

Coming from another third gen 5.9 into this one I'm really concerned with that 9.25AAM front axle configuration. The plow manufacturers don't recommend any V-plowd except snoway & dumped about 2k into my last front axle. That was just to lift it correctly & be able to comfortably DD it, not hang a 1000lb plow off of it.

Is yours the same axle as mine? Maybe a few updated parts? Did you have to use Timbrens / Lift springs or spacers, upgrade track bar, change ball joints, replaced unit bearings?

I think I have a tiny 1in spacer under mine now. What I would like to do is, remove my shocks, utilize one of Thurens 2in soft ride coils, utilize a Super Duty front air bag setup & relocate the shock with one of those cheesy add a shock brackets that sit outside the coil spring. I think that would be a good solution to eliminate any sag but also give me an upgraded ride quality when not inflated.

6. dieselss

dieselss PlowSite Fanatic

6" ram to eventually catch it. What it looked like was that it took a little bit longer to land on the ram because its shorter & because of that a good amount of snow was being dragged back out of the pile instead of the plow being high enough to clear it. & that was on Mossman's tall dually too.

All plows do that regardless of lift ram length. That is completely normal.

So that's what I was trying to get at is all. Reason being is, I'm going to be in a vehicle that is a bit shorter than the one I saw pulling snow back out of the bank.

What does a shorter truck have to do with it?

7. jimmycrackcorn

jimmycrackcorn Member
    from boston

I'm aware all plows will do that to an extent, but from what ive seen in person & online, some do it worse than others. The Snowdogg being one that caught my attention I've seen online & not in person, hence my questions. Knowing the Snowdogg also has the shortest ram out of any setup I've looked into, it can't just be a coincidence that the one taking the longest to land back on the ram is also pulling more snow than others out of the pile. Its just something I want to minimize without compromise.

What does a shorter truck have to do with it? Idk, isn't that what I'm asking? I'm sure it has something to do with it, especially when a 6" ram is involved & compared to something with more stroke.

Extreme example,
    Put two identical trucks side by side with two identical plows, one truck has a 8in lift which puts the plow outside it's recommend adjustment. The other truck is lowered beyond it's recommended adjustment range. The lifted truck is going to be able hold the blade higher coming out of a bank than the lowered truck that probably just got buried because the ram can't lift the blade any higher.

Now in reality, I would have to guess when these two plows are operating on similar height vehicles & within they're recommended adjustment range, it probably has a minimal difference other than what I saw when backing out.

8. dieselss

Are you doing commercial lots?

Your looking way to much in to this.

IF your that worried about stacking and the snow that gets pulled back our of the pile, you REALLY need a loader then.

9. dieselss

It's not from the rams. It's the STACKING STOPS. And in how the lift chains are adjusted.
    So a s.d., western, and a blizzard, and s.w. All have there stops set at 12" off the ground. All have different length lift rams, and all on different trucks.....who's will pull back more snow?

10. jimmycrackcorn

jimmycrackcorn Member
    from boston

What's with the loader comments around this place. Anytime lift height comes into question its go buy a loader, there's gotta be a better answer to a the relativley simple question I've been talking about. I'm really not thinking into anything too much, I was just trying have a conversation regarding what I've seen, why it is designed like that & wtf 5-6k us going to get me. It wasn't an figment of my imagination, it pulled back more snow than I'm used to seeing. There's a reason for that, & that's what I want to know. Seems pretty straight forward to me. It either doesnt ride as high as others or it does.. Depending on who I speak too the answer varies. That may or may not be worth it a compromise I'm willing to deal with.

11. jimmycrackcorn

jimmycrackcorn Member
    from boston

So why wouldn't you just say that from the get go, instead of carrying on this useless conversation?

On different trucks? "What does the height of the truck have to do with anything" Did you not just say that? Now you imply that it it does matter?

See where I'm going here? Sorry man but I'm done with this conversation.

12. dieselss

A plow can only stack so high like already said, so I'd your worried about height and pull back so much, you need a machine of some sorts.

Pulled back more then your used to seeing........that can be taken so many ways as well.

13. dieselss

I'll say this...it was 6am when I replied, and didn't have a ton if sleep so I didn't really think about the stops.

14. 1olddogtwo

1olddogtwo PlowSite Fanatic

OK, picture this.

The A-frame can only be a certain height off the ground, most in the 10 to 12 inch range. From that point they can only swing up high in a arch pattern. They can only swing up so high before they A meets the headset assembly and lifts the truck.

The farther/longer the A is, the higher or away the moldboard is, the higher the stack.

I don't know the measurements of the A on the snowpup. I'm guessing the moldboard to headset is relatively close, therefore not much upstroke is needed

15. JustJeff

I've done nothing to my front end but add Timbrens. Honestly don't know what front axle I have, and haven't looked into it since I haven't had any problems. No, according to any of the manufacturers I wasn't supposed to put this plow, or any other of this weight on. But I have, and it's worked so far.

16. JustJeff

Yes, this. I just think you're wasting a lot of time worrying about how the length of the cylinders affects how much snow you drag back out of a pile. If it's that much of a concern, but a different plow. Get a Western. I've seen videos of Pat (1olddogtwo) stacking 12' high in videos.

17. SnoFarmer

SnoFarmer PlowSite Fanatic
    from N,E. MN

I think.:laughing::laughing:
    That someone(jimmy) is over thinking this.

One they don't stack as high as my direct lift Boss does
    nor they built as strong.
    Stacking puts more strain on a plow compared to pushing some snow across a lot.
    So I would not to go crazy stacking with a dog...

Your shock tower was not designed to hold weight.
    You can add air bags, springs , timbrens,shocks etc etc none of that relieves the weight of the plow.

You could use more counterweight...

Run want Ya want, install what ya want. Deal with the maintance.