1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Snowdogg plows....who likes them and why

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by OrganicsL&L, Sep 16, 2011.

1. OrganicsL&L

OrganicsL&L Senior Member
    from Maine

Hi everyone,

Looking into a snowdogg xp plow. It seems to pass the smell test, welds look good, seems pretty rugged etc. Price is also nice($1500 less than comparable Fisher), and good dealer support locally.

Who has used either this plow, or any of the snowdoggs commercially? How have they held up, and when you've had a problem, how have Buyer's been to deal with? How expensive are the replacement parts?

Thanks in advance!
  2. bieriewk

bieriewk Member

I plowed with an xp last year, solid plow, but has some issues that bothered me. First issue is if you buy one of these and stack snow very high, zip tie the lines that go to the wings together in the center of the aframe, otherwise when you push up a pile, the lines get smashed between the aframe and the cross tube. My other concern is the a frame itself, its angle iron that is gusseted with flatbar, but the gusset does not go all the way to the pivot plates, it stops 6 inches before them. I think this creates a stress concentration, because the paint is cracked off of mine on the bottom of the angle iron where there is no gusset. I am concerned it will crack, I showed it to the dealer, who showed it to buyers, the dealer said if it breaks there, buyers should cover it, and if they don't, the dealer will. Other than that, it moves ALOT of snow, cut my time on jobs in half, if not more, and the plow is very quick, and being able to suck in one wing or the other is very handy in tight places like drive throughs, where you can adjust the wing until it fits just right, and get it all in one pass.
  3. res201cue

res201cue Senior Member

I have a snowdogg ex85 straight blade and ive been happy with it. I had a few hydraulic leaks but my dealer and even the rep from buyers went out of their way to make sure I was taken care of. all in all it held up well last season and I had a good experience with coustomer service from buyers.
  4. bieriewk

bieriewk Member

I forgot to mention I had a valve get stuck for one of the wing rams, dealer gave me a 24 hr number, called it and an hour later was back on the road, I have a great dealer, that is what is most important, dealer support!
  5. BMAN1

BMAN1 Member

Love my HD with fold out wings! Had an issue with power source that burned up three controllers. My dealer was great at taking care of me, even at 11 on a Sunday night once. Only other issue is that the molded foil will break if you do a lot of stacking.
  6. MikeRi24

MikeRi24 Senior Member

well you'll never read anything bad about them on this forum because it seems like anything negative said on here gets deleted. Hmm....

I had a SnowDogg on my Jeep a few years ago, it was ok I didnt really have any problems with it, however I know people that have had issues with them. I only plowed like 10 small driveways that year so maybe it wasnt enough to uncover any real issues.
  7. bieriewk

bieriewk Member

Well there's negatives in my post, and if any of those posts get deleted I will just put them back up
  8. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

They usually have minor or stupid issues that could have been caught either at the factory or dealer level but instead wait until they're purchased to be resolved. More inconveniences than anything.
  9. 2COR517

2COR517 PlowSite Fanatic

Some folks have had issues with their Buyers products. But they always get fixed with very little, if any static. Usually Buyers takes care of it, once in a while the dealer steps up to the plate to handle things. This is much better service than I personally received with my chain lift plow of another brand.

Every product can have issues, regardless of brand. Tools, cars, trucks, plows, auto parts, you name it. What's most important is how these issues get resolved. Never a problem with Buyers.
  10. Brant'sLawnCare

Brant'sLawnCare PlowSite.com Addict

I have been kicking them around a bit too. But the thing is when everybodies plows are a certain ballpark, and then somebody comes in at $1,500 less, it just seems too good to be true. Seems like you would end up paying for that one way or another. I personally thought that Buyers plows looked a little wimpy compared to your Western's and Fishers etc.
  11. MikeRi24

MikeRi24 Senior Member

The blade and the frame not so much, but the rest of the plow I feel is lacking. The light tower isn't really the best, I like that Western, Fisher and Boss all have a cross bar that runs between the lights. I think that adds a lot of stability, especially in a setup like SnowDogg where you have to push the light tower up towards the vehicle as part of the mounting procedure. I really was not a fan of that removable trailer jack either. It seems like they made it a LOT more complicated than it needs to be. For example, my Boss, and even a Fisher have a great design: you pull a spring-loaded pin out, a jack-foot drops down by gravity, and when it hits the ground, you let go of the spring-loaded pin and it locks into place and precisely the right height. And thats it! No inserting of trailer jack, locking it in, and then cranking away on it. The actual mounting system is a bit unforgiving too. You have to have the vehicle in EXACTLY the right spot, the plow has to be at EXACTLY the right height and even if you're a hair off, its not going to lock together. My Boss you can be off a little bit and just give it a little muscle and everything will lock itself in without much trouble, but that SnowDogg mechanism moves a bunch of different things at once and its all gotta be perfect. I always had problems with getting it to mount I remember a lot of really cold nights I was out there fighting with the thing to get it to mount up, and the dealer always said it was operator error and I didnt know how to mount a plow but I've had a Western and a Boss since then and mounting was always easy never had any problems with either plow like I did that one.