1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Snowdogg MD for a 1997-2004 Dakota?

Discussion in 'SnowDogg Snow Plows' started by plowguy43, Jan 31, 2009.

1. plowguy43

plowguy43 PlowSite Fanatic

Hey all, looking to upgrade to a new plow and am considering a Snowdogg. When I look at the website, there is only a setup for the 2005-2008 Dakota but nothing for the older models. I'm really liking these plows, especially the cost ($2699 not installed with 3 months same as cash financing) and I know my truck will handle it.

Please let me know if you are planning on making mounts for my truck- thanks in advance.

2. CarCrazed4Life

CarCrazed4Life Senior Member

I don't want to make comments in regards to the plow selection, but I can offer advise on the truck.

Generally speaking a plow weighing in at about 400#s requires less then 100#s of Ballast for a Dakota Quad Cab. If you don't have the Tow Package or Heavy Duty package (if your stock tire size is 245/70/16 instead of 265/70/16) then you want to consider atleast getting an Trans Cooler. You also want to consider Timbrens and upgrade to 245/75/16 Load E Tires.

As for the plow, no more then 500#s. I have a Sno-Way 7'6" MT (Midsize Truck) Plow with Down Pressure. Plow weighs about 460#s, and I have about 250#s of Ballast (Tailgate Salter, Salt in the Salter, and Salt Bags in the rear of the tailgate.) Going past 500#s of Blade isn't worth the wear on your truck.

However, the Down Pressure on my plow leaves me more then capable to clean better then most 1/2 ton Trucks.

I would not go wider or skinnier then a 7'6" (90") Plow. It seems to work perfect with the width of the track on the Truck at full angle. Also when you can gt more plow in less weight, its the better plow in the long run. Stick with something 26" or taller. Blizzard Plows also makes a good plow thats much lighter then the SnowDogg.

Images below:
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

3. plowguy43

Nice setup! I was under the impression that the MD75's weren't very heavy plows at all. I'm going between a Fisher LD 7'6", Boss 7'6" Poly, or hopefully a snowdogg md75. The Largest Blizzard plow offered for the Dakota is the LD720 which isn't 7'6" wide, just 7'2" which will be too small. My truck has the plow/tow package with trans cooler and upgraded tbars, etc. Like you, I love this truck for plowing as its turning radius is great and is easy to get into smaller, tighter spaces than the 1/2 tons.

4. CarCrazed4Life

If you have the Tow Package, you should be wearing 245/75/16s. I've cranked my TBars all the way up.

Plow Weights for 7'6" Plows without Shoes, Frame, Wiring Harness:
    SnowDogg MD75 - 24" Height, ~ 400#
    Fisher SD 7'6" - 26" Height, ~ 490#
    Boss SportDuty Poly 7'6" - 26" Height, ~ 420#
    Blizzard 7600LT - 29" Height, ~ 465#
    Sno-Way 26 7'6" Poly - 26" Height, ~ 450# (includes Down Pressure)
    Western Mid Weight Poly 7'6" - 27" Blade Height, 530#
    Meyer doesn't have a 7'6" Commercial duty that would work well due to weight...
    Hiniker makes a 7', but its recommended homeowner grade.

After you review all the specs like I did, the Blizzard and the Sno-Way stand out. The Blizzard is great cause its almost 30" tall. Downsides to Blizzard are that they have a low mounting point (people complain about scraping) and that they might be to tall to complicate with airflow to the radiator. Not just a Dakota issue. Also the mounting brackets and everything from the 720LT work on the 7600LT. So the dealer that installs the Blizzard requires more Ballast in the back. Again, I use no Salt Bags and Salter as my ballast weight.

After you look at Sno-Way and see the value of Down Pressure, its understood why many Blizzard guys are customizing them for Down Pressure as well. The Hydrualics allow additional weight to be put on the plow which in theory allows almost 4 times more weight on the cuttign edge then just the weight of the plow. This was the main reason before that people wanted a heavier plow. But now for those icey scenarios, you just use the DP and let it to its magic. They are also fairly light and have the best warranties. Again only a 6'*8" is recommended, but with a little more ballast weight, you can get the 7'6" installed.

The biggest downside to Sno-way is their higher price because of the Down Pressure, Warranty, and low Weight. If you have luck finding one used on the market, its your best bet. Seeing as they made a MT Mount and a 26 Mount for these trucks, either of them would suit your needs.

Its what I did, and can't be any happier. The Wireless Remote has been an added plus, and with the way my truck is setup, it all comes off to do regular truck work as well.

You can't find a better plow or plow truck, in my opinion. But I'm factoring out price as most do because of the used values being so subjective.

5. plowguy43

I always thought that the blizzard had a "universal" truck side mount, like the Fisher MM's. I can actually get a great deal on a new Blizzard 7600 so I may have to look back into that plow again. How much did your sno way cost?

6. CarCrazed4Life

I upgraded from a ST 7'6" to an MT 7'6", so my cost was low (the cost of hte MT used, and swapped controllers...) and then sold the ST 7'6". Even today, the ST ar in high demand with Old Jeep Wrangler Guys.

7. plowguy43

Do you have any pictures of it raised? Did the Timbrens help a lot?

8. CarCrazed4Life

Those pics are of the 2" Lift from the Torsion Bars Cranked all the way up.

Timbrens help a TON. I've had the bed full of a Salt Pallet & The Plow, and have had no issues (although took it kinda slow on the turns :) )

Goto Both Sno-Way and Blizzard Dealers, price them out and then ask someone around you that has a Sno-Way to see if you can see it in action. If you plan to do this commercially, then go with the Sno-Way :) I did a ton of trial and error first.

9. plowguy43

Sorry I meant do you have any pictures of it with the plow raised, lol

10. CarCrazed4Life

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Just added...

I have maybe a 1/2" to 3/4" Sag up front, but enough that the plow raised doesn't rest on the Timbrens... Really helps with good HD Shocks and TBars cranked up :)