1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Snowdogg MD 75 Review

Discussion in 'SnowDogg Snow Plows' started by walkerlawncare, Jan 15, 2016.

1. walkerlawncare

walkerlawncare Junior Member
    from WI

Well I figured it would be beneficial to put this review up as I have gotten tons of wonderful information on this site in the past and it was time to give some input on something.

I purchased my first plow this summer for my 2004 Dodge Ram 1500. I have been plowing a few years with my dad on his chevy truck and western unimount and decided to get my own rig. I bought the plow, mount and wiring harness used from a local who used it solely on his driveway. The install was fairly simple but I did have some issues with the wiring that I eventually sorted out. I installed Timbrens on the truck to minimize the stress on the suspension parts and run with 400 lbs of sand in the bed plus a single stage blower for the walks.

Overall the plow has been great to me and has done a great job. I have installed a backdrag edge as I do a lot of residential drives and it does a decent job with backdragging. It has held up very well and the only issue I have had is a blown hydraulic hose. (I believe this is caused by the previous owner storing outside so I will be replacing all the hoses and fittings when I get time.) One storm, I ended up with a total of 24 driveways and 1 large lot to plow and I am happy to say it did well.

Now to what I would liked to have been improved. The cutting edge seems to be wearing down quickly for the use. I understand with a large route on a light duty plow, it will happen but it seems premature. Next is the poly material deflector. This did a good job at first but when we got more snow and I had to stack, the deflector snapped off and now I have virtually no deflector. I would like to see Snowdogg use a rubber one, similar to what western uses, in the future and it will prove to be a much more durable option. My last complaint is with the electrical connections and it seems no matter what I try (the proper amount of dielectric grease, zip ties around connections) the plow hydraulic connection always seems to act up. I have never had a problem with my western connections but these seem to have issues.

Overall, for anyone looking for a great plow for residential that will hold up to the abuse of commercials from time to time, this is a great option. If you are looking to do more commercial work, I would strongly suggest a 3/4 or 1 ton with a Snowdogg EX/HD Series.

Hopefully this helps anyone looking at a plow for their half ton or similar that may be considering the MD75/80. Happy Plowing!payup

2. bumpy

bumpy Junior Member

I have an EX80 with the Snowdogg wings. Ive used it 3years now. I bought it used from my boss. He only had it 1year and we didn't use it much then. Ive had similar problems with mine. Wore out an edge in a year and deflector broke first time it got cold (below 0). Now I run the shoes that came with the plow and I'm on my second year with the same cutting edge with little wear. I made a new deflector out of rubber. The electric issues you are having can probably be fixed by replacing the spring cages that go on the positive and negative studs in the plug. They are about $6 a pair from the dealer I use and fixed my issues. Now I just replace them yearly when I change fluid. Hope this helps. Love the plow by the way!

3. walkerlawncare

from WI

Bumpy,

Thanks for the reply!

I was thinking shoes might help for cutting edge wear but then again, it wouldn't scrape as clean either. I was hoping for some support on the Snowdogg side on the deflector issue because I know it is a very common problem. As far as the electrical goes, I will make sure to give that a try! Thanks for your help and happy plowing!:)

4. ggb6259

ggb6259 Senior Member
    from SW MI

Same truck, regular cab, 4.7 MD75 w/backdrag running 420lbs of sand in the back as ballast and I have to echo what you say. Still have the original defector, did pop in new cage springs this year. I really need to look, but mine is at 6 years old +/- and I have had no real problems. The Snowdogg sticker is history but a bath and fluid film has kept it looking great.

Regarding hoses I went through mine a couple of months back and found some chafing. I put the plastic cable guard around it. You can fnd the thread easy enough.

Mine came with shoes....

gb

Last edited: Jan 17, 2016
  5. walkerlawncare

from WI

ggb6259,

That setup does sound incredibly similar! I'm glad to hear that it has worked well for the most part! How many accounts are you doing with that? I'm just trying to figure out how long this setup should be good for. I will make sure to do that cable guard. Have you found a good solution for the cable connection between plow and truck? My cable tie and dielectric grease is somewhat effective but I still find myself getting out of the truck to fix it from time to time during a storm. I wish Snowdogg would replace the deflector with a rubber one because I have found that you are a minority that has one still in tact:).

Thanks!

6. ggb6259

ggb6259 Senior Member
    from SW MI

I found that if you position the two cables down below the center of the truck width the cables tend to stay flat and dont move as much. My issues were the cage springs that lost their "spring" and pulling the cables to the drivers side of push frame when connecting them. More flex more movement and they would work apart.

No cable ties this year and I've got new cage spring and have had her on and off a few times. No issues.

Most drives I've done is 10-12 but I have cleared a few lots, grass fields and loong driveways. Just keeps working... My dream is to put a Meyer VLD on but keep talking myself out of it as I don't do enough to really worry about it. I know I could pay for the VLD but eh... When I replace the Dodge I will but not unless I really make it a business. Only 92,000 on the Ram.....and I will go Tundra when I do move on from it.

7. aloe

aloe Senior Member
    from NY

Tundra with the Meyer Super V-LD or Snowdogg VMD would be really nice!

8. ggb6259

ggb6259 Senior Member
    from SW MI

That combo is on the very very short list. BUT just helped mama buy a 2015 Tucson today. It's a her money is hers and theres not a lot of it so I get to help thing....

9. aloe

aloe Senior Member
    from NY

Im researching wether i can do a VMD on a first gen tundra & what kind of suspension upgrades i'll have to do. Ive seen one with a meyer super v-ld....the vmd is only 120lbs more.

10. walkerlawncare

from WI

GB,

When you say cage springs, are you referring to the ones on the studs of the connections on the plow side? If so, will the dealer be the only place that has them? My dealer is about 30 minutes away...

Thanks,
    Ben

11. ggb6259

ggb6259 Senior Member
    from SW MI

Yup. I got them through CPW and they shipped. You will fond them out of stock most the time... If you mention to them that they weigh a coupleo f grams each they will reduct the standard shipping charge. They still show up in a ginormous bix which cracks me up...

12. JSutter101

JSutter101 Member

I cracked my deflector, Snowdogg sent me a new rubber one for free.

13. JoeInPI

JoeInPI Junior Member

I'll have to contact Snowdogg, same issue with the deflector on mine.

14. ggb6259

ggb6259 Senior Member
    from SW MI

I must have been drinking when I posted.

15. mdpsci1

mdpsci1 Junior Member

JoeInPl go to Scientific Brake in Alpena, they will replace if under warranty or offer up one of their own which is more durable poly/rubber mix

16. walkerlawncare

from WI

I just got a response from Snowdogg and they will only replace the plastic deflector if it is under warranty. Not the response I would have hoped for but it is what it is. I wish they would just take care of it because they know that there is a definite problem with the plastic ones. I picked up a rubber deflector and it should work well.

17. JoeInPI

JoeInPI Junior Member

@mdpsci1- Scientific is where I got my plow. I've been in twice over the last week and still waiting for the mech to call me back to "talk about it with me" for over a week. No idea what we need to talk about, they know the issue from when I came in. Kind of not really impressed with the service after the sale on this. Things moved very quickly before the plow went on. Even came up that they didn't have a SD edge, and would be able to substitute one of the Scientific rubber edges and re-drill the mounting holes to fit. I don't really care, I just want it replaced. I'll even install it myself, it's just bolts. Kind of frustrating is all, I guess. <shrug>

I do LOVE the plow though. :)

18. mdpsci1

mdpsci1 Junior Member

JoeInPl,

I sent you a PM, give me a shout, I will take care of this. Not the way we do business at Scientific Brake. I will figure out where we are stumbling with this in Alpena. Thanks for your honest feedback.

M

19. JoeInPI

JoeInPI Junior Member

Just an update, I did get a message of follow up, and we're working on getting it fixed... Thanks!

20. mdpsci1

mdpsci1 Junior Member

Please let me know when this is resolved to your satisfaction.

Matt